Surround ‘Em for Atari 8-Bit Computers

Video 61

Surround 'Em is one of our latest games in progress. We are starting this discussion for all to view to see what we have done. We are not done with the Atari 8-Bit computer game yet, it has to be beta tested first. I think Surround 'Em would make a great 5200 game, and we are also in internal discussions if we are going to attempt to port the game over to the Atari 5200 and potentially to the Atari 7800 if there is a demand. 

Here is a video with an audio commentary describing one of Video 61's future game releases: "Surround 'Em!" Please feel free to watch it and comment on what you think. Thanks!

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

Looks like a nice game. Here are some positive thoughts running through my head right now:

- I like that it's a 16k game. Graphics are simple but 16k means it will play on all Atari 8-Bit computers

- This should also be easy to port to the 5200. I say DO IT!!

- 4 Player mode to me is what makes this stand out from other Surround games and why I'd buy it

- Your sound effects are nice

Looks like a nice game. Here are some positive thoughts running through my head right now:

- I like that it's a 16k game. Graphics are simple but 16k means it will play on all Atari 8-Bit computers

- This should also be easy to port to the 5200. I say DO IT!!

- 4 Player mode to me is what makes this stand out from other Surround games and why I'd buy it

- Your sound effects are nice

thank you.

yep, it should play on them all.

great, it [plays perfect for those joysticks.

i will be interested to hear if any mutiplayer games get played. so i really hope that option is taken advantage of.

thanks.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

Thankyou for taking interest in Surround'Em.

I kept the graphics for Surround'Em simple and actually wanted to gave it a retro look. I wanted something like 80x48 pixel mode (graphics 5), but figured it would had run out of room fast, so used 160x96 (graphics 7) that with with double height PM graphics. It runs much faster than Surround. I had to re-work my player/missile multiplexer routine to work with 128 byte high player/missile areas. Instead of doing separate games on a multigame cartridge, Surround'Em can optionally play many different Surround type games like 2600 Surround, VIC-20 Slither, and a Dodge Survival Game. Like 2600 Surround, it  can activate diagonals movement, progressively increase speed during the game, wrap-around mode, and pressing fire can stop the path from being drawn.

There are many options screen when the title splash screen that lets you choose how you want to play the game, including up to 4 multiplayer. Four player mode can be done using an Atari 800 or using the Multijoy8 interface for the XL/XE machines, although it is only a 4 player game. Multijoy8 will only activate if you select it on the title screen, or else it defaults to standard reading PORTA and PORTB. Joysticks are just about the only controller you can play thing type of game with.

This game is Atari 8-bit universal, does not use the RAM under ROM and use OS VBI and DMI immediate vectors. When running on NTSC machines in North America, The game VBI is executed at 50 frames per second so it runs the same speed as PAL/SECAM machines in Europe. The game also looks great on HDTV set ups.

The 7800 needs this type of game! (And no, the 2600 Surround isn't sufficient enough for the 7800. :)  )

cool, thanks for the feedback, that is what we want to hear.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500