awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Balloon Fight
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game A

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31st, 2017

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 1st through July 31th, 2017. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game A

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

:balloon_fight:

Join us for the month of July as we take to the skies and celebrate the life of famed game designer and Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. The 1985 black box classic and Iwata's first game, Balloon Fight, will be our game for this month’s High Score Squad Challenge.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." --Satoru Iwata

Balloon Fight.nesBalloon Fight.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Here's mine.  One of my favorite NES titles and this is the game that made me a NES believer.  I had the Deluxe Set, no Mario, and Gyromite was very boring.  Duck Hunt wasn't too bad but having to use only the gun did get old after a while as well.  Then I rented Balloon Fight and, wow, I wanted to see what else there was for the NES.  I never knew the creator of Balloon Fight passed on.  RIP and thanks for the memories.

post-870-0-99141400-1499075484_thumb.jpg

Played on the NES Mini...

post-870-0-18028100-1499075497_thumb.jpg

Gave me a reason to drag it out.  

I think I'm on to your strategy... but I haven't mastered it yet. Going to keep trying.

Strategy 1: Don't Die!

Strategy 2: Defeat Enemies

Strategy 3: Repeat Steps 1 & 2

:D

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I thought you might be points pressing, which is totally doable, but it gets tricky because of the lightning if you linger too long on the level.

Not really. On the first level I might take my time and let the enemies regenerate to get a few extra points, but due to the lighnting, I basically just try to survive each screen and adding more points during the bonus rounds. 

Usually I can get past 200k, but at some point after I ended up losing most of my guys on a single stage.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube