Projector Gaming

RickR

It all started as a purchase for Halloween.  I found a very cheap LED projector at Goodwill with the idea of projecting ghost videos onto a sheet hung in a window of the house.  This particular projector seems like it was never used.  It came in the box and the parts were wrapped in plastic.  It has a variety of inputs...HDMI, composite, USB, VGA, SD Card, and USB stick. 

I ended up hooking up a plug-n-play just to start testing, and it turned out the be a BLAST.  I need to set it up to be on a much bigger wall.  Seems bright enough.  The sound is nice and loud.  For this purpose, it seems pretty good!

Who else has given projector gaming a try?

post-41-0-51098200-1504319416_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-46275700-1504319419_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-45228000-1504319421_thumb.jpg

The projector does audio!  It has two speakers.  Surprising because the projector is very small.  I think about 7" square and 3 inches tall. 

It's a good "beginner" unit, that's for sure.  I think the higher end models use a real bulb that's much brighter.  But for what I paid, this thing is opening my mind to new ideas. 

Your idea of projecting a ghost on Halloween is what a house here does with Santa for Christmas.  Every year they decorate their house with lights that animate with music which can be heard through a specific radio station on your car stereo.  Pretty cool stuff!  

I've wanted to do something like that just to say to others, "You can keep your 50" HDTV...I've got a whole WALL!!"  Just sayin'. Pretty cool idea.  You got a good deal if that projector was hardly used if at all.  Might have come from a store that went out of business.  I have seen some K-Mart price tags on stuff at our Goodwill a few times.  Target and Best Buy too.  

You never get to see what's on the other side of the camera but this is the set up here in the studio. I use a projector for all our analogue gaming, its set up with an 8 port switcher and almost every system is set up, with a few exceptions.

post-629-0-84155600-1504469450_thumb.jpg

I used material from a wrecked pull down screen and framed it. It's a 4ft x 6ft screen keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio intact.

Below is where I have all the systems and some games, at least the ones I want to play - Atari, TG-16, PS2, NES...

post-629-0-91471900-1504469574_thumb.jpg

The main attractions in the studio, and the ones that get the most play - 7800 and Jaguar.

post-629-0-15291600-1504469725_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-43605500-1504469792_thumb.jpg

And of course a peak into the top drawers... Some of my favorites.

The only problem I have is my light gun games do not work, but we'll cross that bridge when we film those episodes.

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

BTB, you should share more of this kind of stuff.  Pure gold, man.

Yeah I'm probably gonna do a breakdown on how I film the show and how I capture the game footage and editing. I had to jump through quite a few hoops in order to get the older systems to capture to modern devices. We can wrap our heads around 1080p, 720p, 480, but the Jaguar is outputting at 230 or 240, I think something like that. This new Elgato capture device didn't know what to do with the signal. You have to order the composite cable from the company or you cant capture one frame of footage.

Now I'm finding the older 2600 games suffer from really bad flicker and capturing that stuff is a challenge, but hey I pride myself on not doing any emulation on the show so you get what you get.

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Viewers can tell if it's emulation, and it's not good.  So I appreciate real hardware in your and others' reviews.

I would guess some of the other youtube experts have some excellent knowledge on this topic.  But I've always thought the easiest way to record old video game footage is to use an analog TV tuner card on a desktop PC (Hauppage brand).  I've tried it, and it works pretty well,  You do have to manually tune the channel for the 2600 though.

Viewers can tell if it's emulation, and it's not good.  So I appreciate real hardware in your and others' reviews.

I would guess some of the other youtube experts have some excellent knowledge on this topic.  But I've always thought the easiest way to record old video game footage is to use an analog TV tuner card on a desktop PC (Hauppage brand).  I've tried it, and it works pretty well,  You do have to manually tune the channel for the 2600 though.

Question for you Rick, how loud is the projector when its running? The one I'm using is older with a bulb so the fan is slightly loud but it also puts out a tremendous stoutness of heat. Obviously sound is an issue when filming and I try to get the best sound I can get but I'm wondering if a small LED projector is the way to go.

This one does have a fan, but it's not on par with a bulb projector.  Not very loud at all.  The projector doesn't seem to get very hot at all.  I would guess that a higher end LED projector is the way to go. 

Here is a link to the model I have:  http://www.lightinthebox.com/vga-projector-with-hdmi-input_p1974005.html

Pretty low end I'd say.