WANTED: Feedback for Super Circus AtariAge for Atari 7800

dauber

I'm looking for feedback a future episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78)

What are your thoughts on Super Circus AtariAge? This game will be covered on Episode 21. Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, October 4.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Comments are welcome any time, including after the deadlines; any feedback from after the deadlines will simply be addressed during a later episode.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Hi Sean,

I had recently purchased Super Circus Atari from Atariage, but had not found the time to try it out until now.  But before I get into that, I wanted to point out something I am not sure how many people appreciate, which is the fact that the controller inputs and difficulty switches are on the front side of the 7800.  Sooo much more convenient.  Anyhow on to the game.   A nice bonus with this purchase was the neat patch that was included with the box copy.   I love the Carnival style intro music which plays on the main menu as well as the smooth scrolling Game Title and Atariage words.  The game only has a few options, but it makes the most of them.   I love how it includes the classic mode which is an homage to the Atari 2600 version.   The controller options allow you to switch the controller from the standard joystick to the paddles.  Playing with a joystick seems fine until you realize you cannot move horizontally quickly enough once the gameplay starts speeding up.  Switching to paddles, is the way this game I believe was intended to be played.   Note: In order to play with the paddles, leave the joystick plugged into port 1 and simply plug the paddles into joystick port 2.

I tried a couple of sets of paddles due to the infamous problem some of the old atari paddles have, the jaggyness issue.  I know there are ways of fixing this issue, but the way I was finally able to address it was to plug in my brand new AtGames replacement paddles which I purchased several months back for about $15.00.  Playing with good paddles makes all the difference.  I immediately noticed an increase in my accuracy and scoring.  I love the power up options.  The fact that there are two player options is another huge plus.  You can either alternate play or play simultaneously with a friend.  Should you decide to play the refill-all option, I love that there is a boss balloon bonus round.  Little creative things like this make all the difference. 

One thing I am curious about, which you may have already covered is, why the 2010 copyright date? Anyhow, I am enjoying playing this game and it will only get better as my skill improves with time.