What would be a good game to start out?

Luciousness

Hello guys! I'm new to the retro games world and I don't even have a Sega or Atari yet. I will get one from my cousin soon. I wanted to start my collection young so I can see what it was like in the 70s/80s. My question is what would be a great game for me to start out with to play and collect? Thanks!!

-Luciousness

start off with the same one I did.........Adventure!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Dude, you gotta start with all the classics. Many of the best games for Atari 2600 are the most common, and the least expensive. sometimes you can find them for as little as $.25! Games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Defender, Stargate, Yars Revenge, Ms. Pac-Man, Warlords, Super Breakout just to name a few. Plus third-party games like Pitfall and Cosmic Ark. There are some less common games that are really good like Pac-Man Junior and Solaris that you need to get. You should be able to find a package deal with all of these games somewhere for pretty cheap. Good luck!

Totally agree. Go with the classics first to get the cool gameplay that got us hooked.

Space Invaders is a good one, actually. After Combat (two-player only - came with the VCS), Space Invaders was the next one to get massive play at my house.

Got it as a gift along with the 2600, so that helped. But it came out simultaneously and helped sell the idea that home gaming could be a good alternate to arcade play.

SI was the most perfect port of an arcade game at the time, and it was a very popular Atari cart (was it only for the 2600? I would assume not but don't recall any immediate conversions, and I digress anyway, must focus back on Atari, yes).

All others Yo-Yo mentioned too are great. Definitely get Super Breakout to test out those paddles!

Ah man, got good mileage out those paddles with NIght Driver as well (pun intended).

Super Breakout probably has some of the best modern times replay value, as its base setup never grew old, has the satisfying boops and beeps and color patterns that gave the 2600 its unique look.

Plus, it has good variants to spice things up.

Have some good retro gaming!

We're developing a Collector's Guide for this very purpose. It will be for everybody but with new Atari gamers in mind. It will have top games to start off with for each system, a rarity guide, how to hook up your old Atari, etc. Hope to have it ready by the end of the Summer or early Fall  :thumbsup:

I think a large percentage of Atari owners got Space Invaders as their first game (after Combat).  So if it's an authentic 70's experience you want, go for Space Invaders.  112 variations on one cartridge!

I was one of the "small" percentage then.......never got Space Invaders until last November! This from an Atari lover who doesn't even own a copy of Pac-Man too! (<< not willing to spend good money on that one! but i do have Ms. Pac Man though)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I'll 2nd Adventure.   Great, classic game and will let you experience one of the first Easter Eggs in a game.

Any of the Atari arcade classics are a great start, and cheap.  Some 3rd party games can get more pricey, but Pitfall is a must have eventually.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

along w/ Adventure here's the others I'd recommend (based on the games I actually own) in no certain order:

1. Frogger
  2. Ice Hockey
  3. Freeway
  4. Ms. Pac-Man
  5. Pole Position
  6. River Raid
  7. Chopper Command
  8. Omega Race
  9. Real Sports Volleyball

homebrews:

Stay Frosty 

Stay Frosty 2:Stay Frostier

Halo 2600

Man Goes Down

Fall Down

Explosive Diarrhea (just to say you have that in your collection!)

Lots of good ideas, so I will go backwards. Start with Tax Avoiders. It's so bad it will help you appreciate all the other games you play more  :D

Also, if you are getting  a system, I would get a 7800. It plays almost all 2600 games and you are more likely to find a working one with a good picture.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Lots of good ideas, so I will go backwards. Start with Tax Avoiders. It's so bad it will help you appreciate all the other games you play more  :D

I actually bought Tax Avoiders brand new in 1987 on clearence at Lionel Playworld - and still have it. Yes it is one of the worst games for the 2600!!

Archived