Atari 5200 - UAV Installation for that awesome video and sound

CrossBow

Here is a video I did on my UAV installation into a 4-port 5200. I had some issues in that this particular 4-port refused to work without the 4050 still in the mix. Since I wanted to keep the RF shield in place, it required some modification of the mod board.

Bryan's procedures are pretty much dead on so unless there is a need for something with more pictures...etc I'm leaving it with just my video and Bryan's instructions.

Bryan's instructions for installation are found on his blog here:

http://atariage.com/...ac-in-the-5200/

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Well, I was never really content with this old video and had seen questions regarding what is or isn't required in the UAV installation process for the 5200s in other groups I visit. So..with that... I recently installed a UAV into a 2-port unit and made a newer and I think a better detailed video about how to install the UAV into 5200 systems.

I also wrote up a new installation guide that follows the same format as my 7800 guide I wrote about 3 years ago. Hopefully now and in the future, these are useful resources to others...

5200 UAV Installation Guide:

https://tinyurl.com/vy6ldg6

5200 UAV Installation Video 2020:

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Pretty slick and it looks good! Only suggestion is to hook up both audio as I've always found it annoying when there is only audio from one of my speakers. Was that s-video I assume?

Yeah, I'm going to have purchase a Y-cable.  For some strange reason when I use both left & right channels I get issues, it'll be something I'll cover in a future video.  It does have one other issue, it "crunches" the video at the bottom.  You'll see that in the Bosconian video.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

@- Ω - What is the context here? Let's explain your setup. Looks pretty cool!

The context, yeah I should probably do that.  It's a small little gadget that will record S-Video or Composite from devices like VCR's, retro gaming consoles or computers.  While it only records them at 640X480, it does so at 60fps.  I'll make a video in more detail after I get the y-cable.  (It's always something).  With it, I was able to complete the the Bosconian Video which I'll post in another message thread.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 12/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, CrossBow said:

Pretty slick and it looks good! Only suggestion is to hook up both audio as I've always found it annoying when there is only audio from one of my speakers. Was that s-video I assume?

Yeah, I ordered a Y-Adapter (that was supposed to arrive today), but Amazon has been late more times than on-time lately.  So much for Prime membership.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I figured an update was is in order.  I believe my unit is defective, because it does the exact same thing in Composite mode on a TI-99/4A, as well as on the Atari 5200 in Composite or S-Video modes.  I'll send this one back to Amazon for exchange and hope for the best the second time around. I really want this to work because it's nearly perfect otherwise.

Short sample of Composite Output on a TI-99/4A

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Does it have any other inputs besides the composite and s-video? I'm curious if it is only the lower resolution analog sources that cause it. To me it looks like it is having an issue with whatever it does to handle interlaced resolutions and in the process of the capture, it is actually doubling the pixels to compensate, but then the sync timing goes out of whack about 1/3 way down the scanline and that is why it starts to double. The effect gets gradual worse the further down from there it goes. So odd...

Does it have a passthrough so you can see it on a TV in addition to what you are capturing? Does it show up there on the main TV when this device in the middle of things?

Last... are there any reviews on the product from others that state anything similar to what you are experiencing?

3 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Does it have any other inputs besides the composite and s-video? I'm curious if it is only the lower resolution analog sources that cause it. To me it looks like it is having an issue with whatever it does to handle interlaced resolutions and in the process of the capture, it is actually doubling the pixels to compensate, but then the sync timing goes out of whack about 1/3 way down the scanline and that is why it starts to double. The effect gets gradual worse the further down from there it goes. So odd...

Does it have a passthrough so you can see it on a TV in addition to what you are capturing? Does it show up there on the main TV when this device in the middle of things?

Last... are there any reviews on the product from others that state anything similar to what you are experiencing?

No, only S-Video and composite, which is really only what I need for my purposes.  I chatted with the guy on YouTube that had a review on it, actually the same guy that brought it to my attention and he's never seen anything like this.  It does have a passthrough, and when an HDMI cable is inserted it shows the exact same thing on the TV screen as it does on it's internal screen (which shuts off when the cable is inserted).  No again, I read a lot of the reviews and this problem never came up, which leads me to believe that it's a fluke on the unit I received.  If my replacement unit does the same thing I'll be sure to mention it.  It's a great concept so I'm hoping the replacement will act like it should.  

I'm thinking a review on this device, for better or worse, is going to the top of my video production cue.  I think this could be a great device for retro gamers in contests and YouTubbers.  It's super easy to record anything at the press of a button and then move the USB stick or SD card to the PC for editing purposes.  I'll probably leave mine hooked to the 5200 permanently as the TV I use it on only has HDMI inputs and it's also a good S-Video to HDMI converter with no lag... again assuming the display acts appropriately.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

That's pretty cool! The capture device I use is HDMI inputs only so it has to capture whatever I send from the OSSC. But it is still quite finicky about the resolutions is receives. But, I got the one I did for the same reason you spoke of. Basically just connect it inline with the system and press the record button on it and it records onto a micro SD card that I can then remove to load up into my computer or actually attach the device with the SD card in it to my computer and extract the files that way. It can also record directly to a computer when connected via USB and that is what I've been using it for lately.

That's unfortunate that the replacement does the same thing. So again, this has to be some issue this capture device has with low resolution interlaced signals. There was something else you captured with it that would show an obvious diagonal pattern to the doubling effect along the lower right hand side that coincides with this theory. 

Well.. look what I found here. This is a review that was left on the other branded version of this product that is more expensive that you also linked too

'

Beware of the S-VHS facility

Reviewed in Australia on November 3, 2019

Verified Purchase

The device does what it is supposed to do, and captures video and audio to make good MP4 files, using the normal (yellow) video input.

However, the S-VHS facility is poor. The picture is a bit wobbly and the left 3 - 4% is distorted. The distortion is present in the digital file. This has been verified by connection to other equipment with a S-VHS output, so it is disappointing.'

So based on this description, they were likely getting the exact same thing and just didn't describe it very well. That leads to the next question that they don't answer or present...

What about composite input sources then? So I would be curious if you could try this with composite. I know it won't look nearly as clear and pretty but it would be interesting to see if the doubling effect is still present or not.

Edited by CrossBow

26 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

What about composite input sources then? So I would be curious if you could try this with composite. I know it won't look nearly as clear and pretty but it would be interesting to see if the doubling effect is still present or not.

Sure, I'll try to mess with it again tonight and take a composite recording.  I noticed there is a different brand that physically looks the same for more money

<< HERE >> that has something interesting in their description...

Interesting.PNG.9f08f0dd3af4ca374b457f5880bb09da.PNG

I'm not sure I want to send another one back, spend more money and find out it's just as bad.  This one may not be perfect, but unless someone buys one quickly and test it I'll never know.  Amazon has a 30 day return policy, but I'll just hold onto this unit and live with it, unless someone has good news for me on the ClearClick 2.0 unit within the next week or two.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

It was the clearclick that I found that review on stating about the issues with their video looking screwy through s-video sources. That is what I quoted was a review from that unit.

Hence my asking if composite inputs did the same thing.

The messed up thing is that the ClearClick one even says in its description that it works well with retro game consoles?! 

See now the mission is to find out which generation of consoles they are talking about. Like n64 and above? PS2?...what?

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

The messed up thing is that the ClearClick one even says in its description that it works well with retro game consoles?! 

See now the mission is to find out which generation of consoles they are talking about. Like n64 and above? PS2?...what?

That's YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Well, it's sucks that it's not perfect, but for what it's intended to do, it's just too convenient to use, and it'll give viewers of my videos the gist of things.  So... I'll be keeping it.  Would I recommend anyone else buy one?  No, not really, but if you are not Borg and don't seek perfection, it may suit your purposes.  Honestly though, for it's price, it should have been better.

rYNcRel.png

<<< My YouTube Page >>>