The New Atari "VCS" - Official Topic

leolinden

The following is snippets from this article https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/19/atari-unveils-atari-vcs-its-first-home-game-console-in-9-years/

atari-vcs-3.jpg?fit=578%2C358&strip=all

The company is showing off the Atari VCS, Classic Joystick, and Modern Controller prototypes to the press this week at GDC. And it is working with game developers, content creators, and other partners to finalize details. In April, Atari will announce a preorder date for the Atari VCS. Earlier, Atari canceled a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo because its development hit a snag.

“Every person at Atari and every partner involved with the new platform is just as fanatical about the brand and its heritage as our biggest fans are,” said Atari Connected Devices chief operating officer Michael Arzt in a statement. “With the Atari VCS name, we know how important it is to get everything completely right, and that’s why we briefly paused an imminent launch late last year. It was a difficult decision with the countdown underway, but we weren’t willing to go forward with even one thing out of alignment. We hope that despite the delay, Atari’s fans appreciate our extreme attention to detail and are as excited about the Atari VCS as we are.”

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm on board for new Atari stuff but I wish they had chosen any other name than "Atari VCS". I feel the same way about that as I did about "Xbox One". Things are going to get confusing. How about something like "Atari 2900" or something else completely new? I hope what they deliver is top quality. Until it ships and I have one in my hand I'm just gonna take a deep breath, kick back and relax, and be happy this isn't one of those things that was "announced" and sat in development hell for another 9 years. It has the Atari name on it and I wish them well.

To be fair, they did update the website too. It looks like they might be fans of atari.io/7800 Ave. ;)

I hope!

Just when I thought this was going to go 'pie in the sky' here comes another 'small' update.  We still have no idea what kind of console this is but here's what I'd like it to be. I'd say it's kind of like the retro consoles released by Nintendo and AtGames but taking it a step further.  I would hope that it came with pre-loaded Atari classics spanning from the 2600, 5200 and on at least through the 7800.  Maybe throw in some arcade games as well.  Owners may have the option to purchase and download licensed games such as Space Invaders, and other games not created by Atari originally.  In the past, only Atari 2600 games were available in retro collections so this does have potential appeal for many on this forum.  We shall see...

Just when I thought this was going to go 'pie in the sky' here comes another 'small' update.  We still have no idea what kind of console this is but here's what I'd like it to be. I'd say it's kind of like the retro consoles released by Nintendo and AtGames but taking it a step further.  I would hope that it came with pre-loaded Atari classics spanning from the 2600, 5200 and on at least through the 7800.  Maybe throw in some arcade games as well.  Owners may have the option to purchase and download licensed games such as Space Invaders, and other games not created by Atari originally.  In the past, only Atari 2600 games were available in retro collections so this does have potential appeal for many on this forum.  We shall see...

From the looks of it, they are trying to make it have new games as well. If they are good retro style games, it might be worth it. Without physical media though, I feel like it wouldn't be as cool.

If it has old games and have new software for it, then it would be cool. It'd need a "killer app" though to justify the $200 cost that they seem to have been going for.

Retro obsessed dude

They have already mentioned it being a Linux based console.  I agree with others...it should not be named Atari VCS.  We already have that.  Name it something else.  One name that never got used past a prototype stage is "Panther".  So...name it that but not VCS.  The VCS it is not even if it is a computer system.  Then again all game consoles are computer systems.  The market is already flooded with VCS clones and to add this on top of those will only add to the confusion.

I do like the controllers and in one photo on the website you see a person using an XBOX controller.  But the whole idea behind Atari's new console was to make it easier for people (although kids was specifically mentioned in the past) to play games that are already available on other consoles and computers and portable communication devices (tablets, smartphones) which seems to me to not exactly be the way to do it.  Being able to play Minecraft (a Microsoft owned property now) and Terraria on it does seem cool but these games are already on every modern console, tablet/smartphone, and computer download service available.  Not to mention in physical format on some consoles.  

Bottomline: If Atari is going to market this new system then I would want to see some new and fresh game ideas.  It would be in their best interest to startup an Indie Game program since XBOX axed theirs.  While it does open the door for quality-lacking games it can also bring about some new game ideas that could become hidden gems in their own right.  Xenominer, Arcadecraft, and a few others got their start being Indie Games and have become very successful.  Minecraft is a good example of this as is Terraria.  But we already have those and many clones...the gaming community needs new and fresh game ideas.

I've said it before and I will say it again...I have no interest in this until I see more, what it can do, and what games are going to be on it.  If I see repeats of games I already have I will pass.  I also don't need a Linux Box as I can make those any time I want with computers here I'm not using.

AHEM

I been calling this one out since the first mention of the guy behind it. Other than the name and some renders and a lot of HYPE they got NOTHING. Just more whoring of the Atari brand name to nostalgic fans who will shell out money for anything "officially licensed" and of course the minute you question or call it out or ask questions those with dreams and wishes will quickly label you anti ATARI or call you hater etc. NO, my history and current collection verify I am a HUGE Atari fan and want only the best for the name and company except this "ATARIBOX / ATARI VCS" is has has never been anything more than a marketing train wreck created by Fergal MacConuladh who merely licensed the name for use on this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ZhU2K7Gyk&feature=share

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Don't have high hopes for that 'Atari whatever'. I think, the kid is dead in the cradle.

No games!

No price!

No specs!

Nothing really new!

We all know the same as one year ago. Nearly nothing.

E.G.: Daimler announces a new car. No chassis, no technical infos, no price to offer. Only the possibility to preorder. Who would catch that offer?

Edited by TeddyGermany

Seems like the FB Atari fans are having mixed feelings about the name change but all of them pretty much say the same thing that Teddy just mentioned.  For the price they are asking for the AtariBox (that's the name I'm sticking with) I could think of a whole bunch of physical Atari games that have been here for decades I don't have that I would rather spend that money on.  Hell, for the price they are going for these days, that would buy a whole bunch of Wii games.  Am I alone thinking that way?

I'm not entirely sure the comparisons to Coleco Chameleon are warranted. This may well end up being a flop or a complete waste of time, but unlike the Chameleon everything that's been announced (streaming, emulation and Minecraft-level games) is realistic for a small team to accomplish using off-the-shelf components (Linux on a low-end Intel device with an AMD GPU). There's no large scale custom FPGA work to do, for instance. I can at least see the path to actually building something.

Whether what they build will be desirable to Atari fans or a new customer base remains to be seen, but that's an entirely different issue than faked up prototypes obscured with electrical tape.

Edited by dgrubb

I'm not entirely sure the comparisons to Coleco Chameleon are warranted.

I am convinced, the signs are there, really nothing substantial has been shown to prove it isn't. Let's be honest here, if you have something to show you are going to show it and silence the doubters but Cnet even recently confirmed what was shown and on display was NOTHING BUT A MOCKUP and YET they are discussing a date for Pre-orders? When they have not shown a single thing actually running? Nope, it is definitely Coleco Chameleon-esque in my humble opinion. I guess we shall see but going by experience and history in these type of things I am going with the odds and calling it as I see it. So far though even with it's "appearance" this has gone from rendered images to a mockup and a name change and a lot of hype and promises. If they actually start taking money for Pre-orders BEFORE they actually show anything running on real hardware I recommend not backing.  ;)

Link to article -  https://www.cnet.com/news/ataribox-atari-vcs-console-linux-hands-on-pc/

pasted from article : (OH COME ON ! ) 

Good news: We finally understand what the mysterious Ataribox is all about. We've touched its deliciously retro ribbed plastic frame, and given its classic-meets-modern joystick a wiggle. The Atari VCS looks like it could be a real product, one you might be proud to own and display.

Bad news: There's not much proof it's real yet. Atari didn't bring a working VCS to the 2018 Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, only mockups. Though the company has an interesting vision for the box, we weren't able to try a single game.

"We'd all like to be BAM, there it is, it's awesome. That day will come," says Atari engineer Joe Moak. "Today is not that day."   :spot:

post-15-0-26082900-1521691454_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-18442600-1521691487_thumb.png

post-15-0-13878600-1521692009.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Coming late to the party. I think it is a great looking package all around. I do not think it is a scam at all. 2 things I see wrong here. 1. maybe they should have held out a little longer to start building the hype, maybe have some set plans rather than a concept. Or 2 give real updates. I am almost ashamed to admit that I am excited for this and will support it to the very end, but with each fumble I get more nervous about it. All that said it seems like they are using feedback as part as their process and that is 1 huge step in the right direction. And if worse tomes to worse, at least I get some good traffic on my channel every time I post a video on the subject!!!!! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!