The New Atari "VCS" - Official Topic

leolinden

By the way, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt Atari will not honor those who pre-order it. It is possible that they will do a campaign that only works if they will meet their goal. It's also possibly, if the campaign flops, they will quickly close it and refund the money. 

My guess is they are making this on a high profit margin, so no matter what, it's coming out. 

However, I could be wrong and I still would not recommend putting money down until it comes out at this point and time,

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

By the way, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt Atari will not honor those who pre-order it. It is possible that they will do a campaign that only works if they will meet their goal. It's also possibly, if the campaign flops, they will quickly close it and refund the money. 

My guess is they are making this on a high profit margin, so no matter what, it's coming out. 

However, I could be wrong and I still would not recommend putting money down until it comes out at this point and time,

I'm extremely curious (perhaps morbidly curious is a better term) about it the way people are about big celebrity breakups or political scandals. I have no interest in preordering as I'm not one to support potential vaporware but if and when this thing does hit the market I'm very curious of the reviews of it and what it will actually do, especially to justify its insane price point.

The Retron 77 however is one I will probably support despite some reservations I also have for it. At least Hyperkin does make actual products people like and buy, as flawed as they may be. Between it and what I'm hoping will be SD card support for the next Flashback I can't see a need for the AtariVCSbox but I will follow the train wreck as it stumbles down the track.

Well this week has been full of updates.

First, we have a preview video of Tempest 4000. The same video shown for the PS4/PC/XB1 version of the game. It's excellent looking, but I am sure this isn't a VCS. The tag line on their FB post suggests that it could be: "Atari VCS plays new games! Check out Tempest 4000 - an Atari classic reinvented for today." As it is, this would only be a good thing for Atari if it were an exclusive.

https://www.facebook.com/atariVCS/videos/452717445166177/

Next up is a first look at "very early" test animations of what a user "could" see at boot up. It looks clean and all but it not that impressive. There is also no indication that this is running on hardware.

https://www.facebook.com/atariVCS/videos/453958355042086/

Two weeks out from the campaign launch and all we know for sure is that it will play 2600 games and Tempest 4000. I already have those boxes checked. Where are the exclusives? Who are the developers? Will it handle other legacy Atari platforms? Color me a skeptic.

Edited by atarilbc

The comments on facebook suggest there are people excited for this thing. Or they're just being sarcastic I can't tell. The video of the boot up screen just looks like a variation of a flashback screen. If anything you'd think they'd want to distance themselves from the look and feel of a flashback otherwise they just end up promoting the competition - "Hey look our machine looks and plays just like a flashback, only at several times the cost!" 

I'll just get Tempest 4000 on the PS4.

As we approach the opening of the "PRE-ORDERS" just 5 days away (I STILL HAVE A BIG ISSUE CALLING A FUNDING CAMPAIGN PRE-ORDERS) 

Still no

specs.

game list.

developers list

THIS IS INSANE though just proving what I assumed all along. 

post-15-0-94274400-1527284610.jpg

*image borrowed from JBerel post on Atariage. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Here's a breakdown of the prices:

https://youtu.be/ne4QGP3_n5k

Looks like they will make a million dollars within their first hour.

I am shocked at how quickly they are raising money.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Not the least bit surprised, not because I have any faith in the project but because time and again we keep seeing people blinded by nostalgia goggles grasping at wishes and dreams over and over. People are stupid and refuse to see common sense or even remember history of failed similar fantasy consoles. It has the Atari name and woodgrain and sadly for many that is all that is needed. Not surprised they got funded, I will be shocked if anything comes of it.  ;)  I suspect NOW the real shitshow begins  :pile:

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

It looks like pre-orders have plateaued at $2.6m and around 8,700 backers. It will be interesting to watch how much higher this can go. Could it hit $3m and 10K+ backers by the end of the month?

Also, how many folks are interested in just the controllers? These are admittedly cool looking and reasonably priced - particularly for the bundle set at $59. PowerA is also reputable.

I'm not trying to throw tomatoes or anything but PowerA has not had a good reputation with me. Their 360 wired controllers have not lasted but for a few hours to a full day for me. They look nice and feel comfortable but they are light from lacking any rumble feedback and simply stop responding or thumbsticks refuse to center any more. My last Power A controller is back in its box and sitting on a shelf as a reminder that not all controllers are created equal.

I got this on email today and thought I'd share it (I've even kept the formatting!).  Excited or not, here you go...

Excited for the new Atari VCS?

Join the waiting list to get one first.

c5RLsQd.png

Join Waiting List

When the Atari VCS is available we will email you.
You will have 48 hours to purchase before losing your spot.

There is no commitment to purchase.

n18gYlI.png

Want to jump the line?
Pre-order the Atari VCS now.

Preorder Now

________________________________________________________________________________

The Atari VCS will ship in the following order:

1. Original Indiegogo backers who have prepaid for Atari VCS (sold out)
    2. Individuals who have pre-ordered via AtariVCS.com or one of our retail partners.
    3. Individuals on the Atari VCS waiting list

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

9 hours ago, TrekMD said:

It's difficult to be excited about the modern VCS.  The noise being generated does not inspire confidence and there is very little actually being shown that demonstrates progress.  Intellivision Corp is doing a much better job, without question, with the Amico.

@Atari Creep had a harsh video on this recently, he was pretty critical of "Atari" in general:

Excited? Naw, pretty case and that is about it, has been a shitshow from the start with the people behind it dodging questions, talking around things instead of direct, deleting posts and comments not in their favor (by their favor I mean ass kissing and just buying everything they say without question) as well the capabilities and what would be included as promised from the start has been reduced etc. It literally offers nothing besides  pretty case, the Atari "VAULT" which has been available for ages on other platforms and lately it seems no unique games or titles at launch instead pushing the narrative "YOU are the developer!" 😜. Even if backers receive one it likely will be nothing more than something for die hard Atari collectors to say "Look what I got! Official ATARI console, look it has a logo and everything!" and then it will sit on the shelf collecting dust. Anyone who has been following this AtariVCS campaign form the start seems to fall into two camps: 1. WTH? This is getting worse all the time ! or 2. OMG! ATARI! GIMMIE GIMMIE! Atari is coming back to change gaming you all! Wait and see! Wait and see!!!!!!!

Now, being a 52 year old who recalls the history of videogaming from pretty much the start and seen many promises and campaigns and launches that fail or turn out to be vaporware you can guess which side of the fence I am on 😆 As I said , it has a pretty case but even for what it offers, if they DO actually deliver it into backers hands, there is nothing special here other than maybe a logo (for whatever you think an official Atari logo means to you these days, here's a hint, NOT MUCH) it is just another under powered little box that will barely run it's OS, it will be just enough to run what it needs to effectively, nothing groundbreaking. If that is worth it to someone for the money well have at it. 

giphy.gif

- M. Bison