The New Atari "VCS" - Official Topic

leolinden

Another update from Atari...

L1GML8u.png

We hope that each of you, your families, and your friends are staying safe and healthy during the quarantine. This unusual period has presented many challenges, but also afforded some opportunities for the Atari VCS team to capitalize on the extra time that comes with staying put. May 30th, 2020 marks the two year anniversary of the Atari VCS campaign on Indiegogo, and while to some it may feel like it's been even longer, we know it's all been worth it. The Atari VCS has come a long way and it’s almost here! Still, we ask that everyone please remember that to successfully make these final steps, as short as they are, the Atari VCS remains fully-dependent on the China supply and manufacturing chain returning to normal conditions.

Despite the ongoing travel restrictions, we continue working closely with our manufacturing partners to finalize the production and delivery of the Atari VCS system and accessories this year. The team is spending more time than ever on trans-continental video conferences to make up for the lost factory visits. The first batch of ~500 Atari VCS has made steady progress to completion, with some key discoveries along the way that have allowed the teams to further refine the production processes.

Atari VCS team members and a closed test-group have been putting the hardware and software through their paces over the past several weeks. Head over to our newest Atari VCS Developer Blog on Medium to read our latest update. We think you will be pretty excited when you see some of the games and apps that testers have been running on their Atari VCS units.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

So it was "launch day" for the Atari VCS and you can now order the PC-console hybrid online from Atari or Best Buy, or if you live near a Micro Center, pick one up locally. 

Despite what I said in the immediately preceding post, I succumbed to an intoxicating blend of morbid curiosity, nostalgia and FOMO; I picked one up back in late February from the eBay.

Three months in, I can say that I'm very impressed with the build and the content so far.  More importantly, this has a lot of flexibility. Sure, it's a relatively low powered mini-PC, but the combination of content from the Atari store, upgradeability (mine is now 1tb with 32gb ram) and ability to run virtually any OS makes it a winner in my book.

Even if Atari stopped supporting it tomorrow, it would be the sexiest emulation box out there. But the thing is, the stuff Atari is coming up with is actually pretty great. Plus the rotary on the joystick is amazing. It's easily my most played system. 

Best game: Three-way Tie

Jetboard Joust

Thrustlander (rotary control is a dream)

Danger Scavenger

Best App: 

Antstream Arcade 

IMG_20210303_135706_756.jpg

IMG_20210303_135706_750.jpg

IMG_20210319_143039_327.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

13 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

So it was "launch day" for the Atari VCS and you can now order the PC-console hybrid online from Atari or Best Buy, or if you live near a Micro Center, pick one up locally. 

Despite what I said in the immediately preceding post, I succumbed to an intoxicating blend of morbid curiosity, nostalgia and FOMO; I picked one up back in late February from the eBay.

Three months in, I can say that I'm very impressed with the build and the content so far.  More importantly, this has a lot of flexibility. Sure, it's a relatively and low powered mini-PC, but the combination of content from the Atari store, upgradeability (mine is now 1tb with 32gb ram) and ability to run virtually any OS makes it a winner in my book.

Even if Atari stopped supporting it tomorrow, it would be the sexiest emulation box out there. But the thing is, the stuff Atari is coming up with is actually pretty great. Plus the rotary on the joystick is amazing. It's easily my most played system. 

Best game: Three-way Tie

Jetboard Joust

Thrustlander (rotary control is a dream)

Danger Scavenger

Best App: 

Antstream Arcade 

IMG_20210303_135706_756.jpg

IMG_20210303_135706_750.jpg

IMG_20210319_143039_327.jpg

Very cool to hear an open minded, honest opinion. 

I am making a discord for my channel. Can I share it there? (Or you can too if you want to join. I'm still working on it, so I haven't revealed it on my channel yet https://discord.com/invite/KDR3w6Z5 )

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Less than 9 months after its official retail launch in June 2021, the new Atari VCS has 53 official releases and one demo in the AtariOS store. This includes the 18 Flashback Friday games and 2 Atari VCS Vault volumes.

By comparison, the Atari Jaguar had 50 official carts released during its entire retail run. That includes the Telegames published carts. 

At this point the modern VCS is poised to have more officially released games than the Jag/CD combined, 7800 and 5200 in 2022. It will likely also surpass the Lynx at some point.  When that happens, only the 2600 will have seen more official releases on an Atari branded console.

Kinda strange to think about.

New Atari VCS Review Set for
Sunday Morning, 8AM EST...
Get your VCS Review before you go down to Praze tha Lawd

Includes an Atari 7800 focus, and my thoughts on how to save the system.
#atari #atarivcs $retrogaming

Edited by Funkmaster V

:pole_position_blimp: Visit Atari 7800 Forever online: https://www.atari7800forever.com