RED ALERT: Please Read! BIG Changes Coming to the Atari I/O Forums!

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Hung out in Wednesday Night Chat!"

chas10e was awarded the badge 'Wednesday Night Chatterbox' and 5 points.

ok when I first got back here there WAS no "reply" button .... I'm pretty sure it was a conspiracy .... /me puts on tin beanie

Is there a chat functionality that can be built in here ?

I'm glad things a bit more intuitive since when I first logged in :P

11 minutes ago, chas10e said:

Is there a chat functionality that can be built in here ?

Yes, very soon. Wednesday Night Atari Chat will be returning!

The forums are up but not all the back end stuff has come online yet. Expect some glitches to pop up from time to time through the end of the year. The forums are working pretty well right now so we're off to a good start.

Hey guys! Forums are back online again 😎 We experienced some interruptions during the day today, the forums were offline at times and it wasn't possible to make new posts or effectively explore the site. We've been upgrading our PHP and installing an SSL certificate, which caused a bit of havoc today but we should be all set. Users will be able to login to the forums from Facebook soon. Remember: the Forums upgrade is ongoing and will continue through the end of the year, so please pardon our dust 👷‍♂️🏗️🚧

Next stop: Chatroom!

I know this site is still being fine-tuned but I thought I would point to areas I have had issues with so far.

1. Tapping on Thrift Store Finds on right, main index, returns a 404 error.
  2. Description for 2-Player score has text background of a different color.  It's slight but it is there.
  3. I keep getting bell notifications but when I go to view them the forum returns an error message that it can not be found.

Just thought I would give a heads up of what I have run into so far.  Please try not to make it too much like Facebook because I don't like that site's design.  I don't even visit Facebook any more.

Thanks kamakazi, I'm going to merge this into the ongoing thread about our upgrade. The site upgrade is an ongoing process that will be going through the end of the year. Interruptions and errors should be expected until that time.

Regarding issue #2, rich text formatting issue that didn't import properly from the previous version of the forums software. Has now been corrected. Good catch!

Regarding issue #3, try logging out of the site, clearing your cache and logging back in. We installed an SSL certificate yesterday and not only does it affect secure login but also notifications. Make sure you're using https:// not http:// , you may need to update your bookmarks for this.

Lots of things being ironed out so you will need to be patient until we have everything tested and cleaned up.

20 hours ago, Justin said:

Hey guys! Forums are back online again 😎 We experienced some interruptions during the day today, the forums were offline at times and it wasn't possible to make new posts or effectively explore the site. We've been upgrading our PHP and installing an SSL certificate, which caused a bit of havoc today but we should be all set. Users will be able to login to the forums from Facebook soon. Remember: the Forums upgrade is ongoing and will continue through the end of the year, so please pardon our dust 👷‍♂️🏗️🚧

Next stop: Chatroom!

I noticed the "Chatbox" thing before I saw this post ..... :spot:w00t-w00t :spot:

56 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Yes!!  Chat is back.

As for the issues I mentioned...was just small things I noticed.  Web design college training did teach how to spot issues if nothing more.  So far every time I have visited the site it has been using a secure link.  The Thrift Store thread corrected itself after I posted.

Thanks kamakazi, I imagine it's like debugging a game 😀

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Is the chat available now?  Dumb-dumb me cannot see any link or anything, but I've been known to be blind when looking for stuff that ends up being right in front of my face.  

I've logged out, cleaned all browser files, then logged back in...

The new chatroom will come online later today! We're going to have a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony this evening to celebrate the new chat room. We'll be there throughout the evening into the night, it should be fun! Can't wait to see everybody in real-time back in the chat! 😎

:pow_big:

NEW CHATROOM - WELCOME CONSTABLES!

Hi Gang,

We're about to roll out the new chatroom! It will launch later this evening, Friday, November 30th, 2018. 

Today we're announcing that RickR and nosweargamer will be serving as Constables in the new chatroom! Constables are volunteers deputized with the powers of a Moderator in the chatroom. Constables are empowered to boot and ban people from the chat and delete chat messages when appropriate to do so. Constables are also able to lead Wednesday Night Atari Chat conversations and contribute to new events in the chatroom!

RickR and nosweargamer are longtime Members in the forums, having been here since the forums first launched nearly five years ago and have become pillars of our little community. I trust them both very much. In years past they've both been highly active in the chat and have made substantial contributions to the welcoming "culture" that has come to define Atari I/O. I have complete faith in them both and know that our community will benefit from their service as Constables in the chat. 

I think they are going to have a very easy job. I have zero concern that anybody here right now reading this would ever give cause to be booted or banned from the chat. It's rarely ever been an issue here. I think of our community a lot like the bar from "Cheers" - it's a place we come to at the end of the day where "everybody knows your name". I want the same feeling to carry over into the chatroom. I don't want to see new people join the forums and begin to abuse the chat. 

In previous years there were short-lived members who would enter the chat with nothing but negativity, criticism of other members, and unnecessarily aggressive language. Normally I don't like to censor speech in the forums, however given prior experiences it will be important to set the right tone in the chat and maintain a "culture" here impervious to abuse and consistent with the vibe set in the rest of the forums. If things ever start to go off the rails in the chatroom as new people join our ranks, the Constables will be empowered to take action as they see fit.

The chatroom will be "Rated PG-13". We're all adults here and can handle serious conversation. I'm less concerned with 4-letter words and more concerned with maintaining a positive, welcoming "Cheers"-type environment. No bar fights! And as always, Moderators will also be empowered to take action in the chat when appropriate.

I'm excited to see everybody back in the chat! The chat will be always on line, all day, every nite. It will be obvious how to enter and post to the chat, and members will be able to view and post to the chat a little more freely than before. The app we're using for the chatroom is called Chatbox. It's similar to the old chatroom but you will notice a few differences. YouTube videos can now be shared as links and played directly in the chat. Images can be posted as links and will also populate in the chat. One difference I don't like that I hope will change in an upcoming release is that there is not a list off to the side of members currently active in the chat. I wish there were, but that's not something I have control over.

Wednesday Night Atari Chat will return to a regular schedule, along with other organized events in the chatroom to be announced at later dates. I hope to see you all there!

Best Regards,

sig.png