Pac-Man Day Squad Challenge - Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - EVENT TODAY ONLY! - National Pac-Man Day 2018

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Ms. Pac-Man
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Cherries

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST April 3rd, 2018

post-52-0-88946400-1490802260.png

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved on Atari National Pac-Man Day, April 3rd, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Cherries. This is an arcade version of Ms. Pac-Man. Just like the original game, Ms. Pac-Man is pursued by four ghosts.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

HAPPY ATARI NATIONAL PAC-MAN DAY 2018! Welcome to our 38th Squad Challenge! Today is the 36th Annual Atari National Pac-Man Day! To celebrate, we're hosting a special Ms. Pac-Man High Score Squad Challenge TODAY ONLY! You have until 11:59 PST tonite to post your high scores! Do you have what it takes to chase those ghosts? Let's find out, and celebrate the most iconic video game mascot associated with Atari! Enjoy!

Ms_Pac-Man.BINMs._Pac-Man.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

This game is hard!  But really awesome.  One has to wonder...if Pac-Man on 2600 was this good, would it have prevented the game crash of 82?

I don't think any one game could have saved or prevented the crash. 

I think the crash was caused by a bad combination that included

1) Waaaaay too much supply flooding the market, including multiple systems and lots of shovel-ware.

2) A generation that didn't see the need to buy all the new systems coming out

And perhaps the greatest reason

3) The fall and eventual sale of Atari, not due to poor software, but due to poor business decisions that included over producing software as well as driving out their best programmers who in turn quickly became competition.

Atari was the giant in the market, sort of how the NES was years later. Imagine if it was 1988, and due to financial troubles, all of the sudden Nintendo was sold to IBM, stopping all production of NES systems and games. With such a massive void, their could've been another crash.

It would be like if the NFL went under overnight. It wold take awhile for professional football to recover.

Also, the crash was isolated to America, which makes sense since Atari was an American company and controlled the market. Overseas where the competition was more even, thanks to computers and such, the crash had no real effect.

Thankfully, the gaming market is much healthier and more spread out with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony. Systems and physical games may go extinct someday, but like movies and TV, gaming won't be going anywhere soon.

Your question really inspired me. I may turn it into a video someday ;)

post-303-0-04025700-1522811263_thumb.jpg

Tough (couldn't break 30k), but fun and good looking game. 

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Here's the thing about Pac Man, though....it made me really question Atari and every game I purchased from then on.  Before Pac-Man, they could do no wrong in my eyes.  After -- I better read a review before I get ripped off again.  Pac Man made me believe the 2600 was washed up and incapable of much more. 

For all the hate that E.T. gets, I always thought it was Pac Man that ruined the reputation of Atari. 

So while the crash had many root causes....Pac Man should be included among them IMO. 

Fun Facts:

Pac-Man is the number one selling game all time on the 2600! It sold over 7 million copies!!!!  :D

But Atari made 12 million  :(

Ms. Pac-Man came out the following year, and by some accounts is thought to be a top ten seller of all time selling 1 to 2 million copies.

You could make the case that ET and Pac-Man started the crash, based solely on the business behind it, since they massively overproduced both games and paid an enormous amount of money for ET.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

You want another crazy theory?

SPACE INVADERS CAUSED THE CRASH (on accident)

Why? Space Invaders was such a huge hit, they couldn't make games and systems fast enough!

So when they had the rights to the hottest arcade game (Pac-Man) and hottest movie (ET), because of what happened with Space Invaders, they overproduced both games, but when history didn't repeat itself, they were DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!

Of course, they may have overlooked the fact that Space Invaders was incredibly fun to play.

Also, being in short supply creates demand. Surpluses can created massive discounts.

It wold be fun to see what would have happened if Atari made half the number of carts for ET and Pac-Man during their initial run.

Perhaps that's why it seems Nintendo never makes enough systems. Maybe they know what's really best for business.

Edited by nosweargamer

I tried but didn't make it in time. I did play, though.

I never blamed any specific game for the game crash. As mentioned, it was a flood of poor quality games no one wanted. And all that 2600's Pac-Man did was show that Atari wasn't paying attention to the market. Pac-Man wasn't a bad game to its defense but at the same time it wasn't what the public expected from the largest game maker at the time. However, there were worse games than Pac-Man on the 2600...with it having a popular name it just got the spotlight more.

Edited by kamakazi20012

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations TrekMD!

WAKA WAKA WAKA!! Congratulations gentlemen! This was our first Atari I/O Event to Celebrate National Pac-Man Day. I hope everyone here had fun playing and celebrating the spirit of Pac-Man. I'd like to make Pac-Man Day an annual celebration! We'll probably do something again next year with a different Pac-Man game. Ms. Pac-Man was definitely an improvement over original Pac-Man on Atari 2600, but there are a lot of other great Pac-Man games left to explore. This was a fun event and I want to thank each and every one of you for turning out to play and posting scores. Congratulations on your win TrekMD! ! TrekMD won the Squad Challenge with an amazing 70,640 points! Arenafoot, Kid A, GRay Defender, RickR, nosweargamer, and I all posted some pretty competitive scores. I'd really encourage TrekMD to keep working on his score to see if he can top the current high score of 111,010 in the 2600 Ms. Pac-Man thread on the Scoreboard! Way to go guys!

:pac_man: MS. PAC-MAN FINAL STANDINGS :pac_man:   

1       TrekMD                        70,640

2       Justin                           52,200

3       Arenafoot                    45,590

4       Kid A                            41,560

5       GRay Defender           35,730

6       RickR                           34,750

7       nosweargamer            35,000