[SOLD] FS: Vectrex Sean Kelly Multi-Cart 2.5

dauber

I'm looking to sell my Sean Kelly multi-cart. It's version 2.5. The label has a copyright date of 2000, but the actual onscreen menu sez 2015; go figs. icon_smile.gif Works like a charm. The games that it includes will be listed at the end of this post.

I'm asking $35 shipped, US only.

post-920-0-90559400-1526737975_thumb.jpg

Titles on the multi-cart:

3D Crazy Coaster • 3D Minestorm • 3D Narrow Escape • 3D Pole Position • 4D Rotocube
All Good Things • Armor Attack • Art Master
Bachs [sic] Prelude • Bedlam • Berzerk • Berzerk 2 • Birds of Prey • Blitz! • Bonnie
Clean Sweep • Cosmic Chasm
Daisy• Dark Tower • Disc Duel Demo
Engine Analyzer
Figgy • Fortress of Narzod • Frogger
Heads Up • Hyperchase • Hypercube
Jukebox
Melody Master • Melody Master 2 • Mikes Molecules •  Mine Storm Cheat • Minestorm 2 • Mr. Boston • Moon Lander
Patriots • Polar Rescue • Polar Rescue Beta • Pole Position
Repulse • Rip Off • Rockaroids Deluxe
Scramble • Solar Quest • Space Wars • Spike • Spike Hoppin • Spinball • Star Castle • Star Fire • Star Hawk • Star Trek • Star Trek 2
Tempest Demo [pardon me for editorializing, but this is AMAZING; I pray that it gets finished some day!] • Tour de France
Vector Vaders • Vector Vaders 2 • Vectrace • Vectrexians
Web Wars

Edited by dauber

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Well crap.  My Vectrex is dead.  It needs a recap.  :(  I'm not sure how to get that done.  Does anyone here know anyone that can do that?

Meanwhile, the multi-cart I have is the Jay Smith 72 in 1.  More info here:  http://vectrex.wikia.com/wiki/72_Game_Multicart It's got some games that yours doesn't, and yours has a few games this one doesn't!  Still, if I had a working Vectrex, I'd probably buy your cart.

Oh, man...that ROYALLY sucks about your Vectrex...there are some YouTube videos, but man, unless you're confident about discharging the CRT, do NOT do it yourself. If I ever have to have any work done on mine, I'll have someone else do it...

I'm looking to sell my Sean Kelly multi-cart. It's version 2.5. The label has a copyright date of 2000, but the actual onscreen menu sez 2015; go figs. icon_smile.gif Works like a charm. The games that it includes will be listed at the end of this post.

I'm asking $35 shipped, US only.

PM sent

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Well, well, well, look who decided to come back to life.  Phew!  What a relief.

post-41-0-02960200-1526829252_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did.  I know (and thank you to dauber for reminding me again) that there is high voltage driving the tube of a vectrex.  But I went ahead and carefully removed the back.  There was a LOT of dust within.  I was very careful not to touch anything.  I carefully placed the open Vectrex in my driveway and blew out the dust as best I could with compressed air.  I looked very carefully at the boards -- there was no obvious capacitor issue (no bulging, no leaking, no discoloration). 

I wasn't able to get all the dust off.  There is a very fine layer that is stuck on the board and components.  I think it would take actual scrubbing to get it off. 

But anyways, I put the back cover back on, plugged it in, and heard a hum!  The sound came on about a minute later.  And the screen flicked on 10 minutes later.  That screen delay is normal for this Vectrex since I've owned it.

I have a theory that it may be the on/off switch itself that causes the delay.  As an experiment, I've left the on/off knob "on", and turned the power off with a power strip switch.  Since yesterday, the Vectrex has turned on immediately every time using the power strip switch.  Next step is to leave it off for several days to see if that still holds true.  If this fails, then I know a capacitor replacement is necessary.  But if it succeeds, then I can either leave the console as-is or figure out how to take apart and clean the on/off/volume switch.

Back to the fine layer of dust.  I need advice.  I'd like to get the dust off.  If I left the Vectrex off for a month, would the voltage be discharged enough to carefully remove the dust with a soft toothbrush?  How to discharge the tube if that's necessary?  Should I just leave well enough alone?

There are a bunch of YouTube videos that show how to discharge a CRT (but I'm still too chicken to do it!).

I think the most common way is to attach a copper wire to a screwdriver (the metal part), and securing the wire with a good amount of electrical tape, alligator clipping the wire to the metal frame around the CRT for grounding, and carefully shoving the screwdriver under the rubber thingy covering the wires that go into the CRT. Obviously, YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE MY INSTRUCTIONS AS A GUIDE!!! (NEVER take electrical advice from someone using this kind of description!) But just giving you an idea of what people do. Just make sure you don't touch the metal part of the screwdriver while you're doing that, and keep one hand safely away from the uncovered Vectrex. You'll likely hear a click (not guaranteed), which is the sound of the 20000 volts discharging.