Sign in to follow this  
RickR

Old-school PC Benchmark for your modern PC

Who remembers the good old days of building your own PC?  There were some really great web sites like Anandtech and Tom's Hardware that would review and compare the latest CPU's, motherboards, video cards, etc, and also fascinating topics like overclocking.  I remember carefully picking each component for my own build and then running benchmarks to compare with my buds. 

Who's up for running a similar benchmark on their current PC?

Go here:  www.userbenchmark.com

Click on the "free download" link and run the benchmark file.  Then post your results here.

Here are mine:

UserBenchmarks: Game 36%, Desk 84%, Work 61%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 90.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 - 29.8%
SSD: Intel 540s Series 1TB - 93.2%
HDD: WD Blue 750GB (2008) - 50.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 61%
MBD: MSI Z97 GUARD-PRO (MS-7923)

UserBenchmarks: Game 67%, Desk 62%, Work 52%

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X - 67.2%

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 72.3%

SSD: WD Green 120GB (2016) - 47.4%

HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB - 97.6%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2016) - 103.3%

RAM: Unknown V02D4LF8GB5285282400 2x8GB - 85.7%

MBD: Asus PRIME B350M-A

After adjusting some BIOS and Power plan Settings (I was initially disappointed with CPU results,

I still plan to do some tweaking in hopes of getting SSD improvements) 

UserBenchmarks: Game 69%, Desk 68%, Work 56%

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X - 76.3%

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 72.9%

SSD: WD Green 120GB (2016) - 45.6%

HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB - 99.7%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2016) - 105.2%

RAM: Unknown V02D4LF8GB5285282400 2x8GB - 86.1%

MBD: Asus PRIME B350M-A

When I was building, websites didn't exist lol ;-) but this thread fondly made me remember the 3D floating computer program that would calculate how fast your PC was in terms of 3D FPS (before dedicated video cards of that nature really existed) and last time I ran it on a more modern PC sometime early 2000 it was like 1,100 frames a second haha...

Anyone remember the flying 3D bird overhead that was made up of only pixel pointers? Interesting times and tech and how it all evolves.

When I was building, websites didn't exist lol ;-) but this thread fondly made me remember the 3D floating computer program that would calculate how fast your PC was in terms of 3D FPS (before dedicated video cards of that nature really existed) and last time I ran it on a more modern PC sometime early 2000 it was like 1,100 frames a second haha...

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

Although according to this link, the second and last version of that benchmark made only went to 999.99... But I believe that is the one you are talking about.

As for the 3D bird I remember one made of just dots that was overhead and was kinda like a screensaver of sorts with the occasional tree going by or something?

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

Although according to this link, the second and last version of that benchmark made only went to 999.99... But I believe that is the one you are talking about.

As for the 3D bird I remember one made of just dots that was overhead and was kinda like a screensaver of sorts with the occasional tree going by or something?

Yep, that was it! Virtual Reality playhouse and yep, you're thinking of the exact one I am. Good times.. =)