Sega Master System Request

Atari 5200 Guy

I'm calling out all SMS owners on Atari I/O to do me a slight favor. I'm conducting a small investigation to try to determine if model numbers make a difference on what games are built-in. I was given the label information to the system I am expecting and am trying to determine what it has. I found a website that has some information but also states that sometimes the model number doesn't always reflect what games were built-in properly.

So if SMS owners would be so kind to see what their SMS model number is along with what games are built-in (none, Hang-On, ad either Safari Hunt or Astro Warrior) and post it here I would greatly appreciate it. Here are the model numbers summed up:

ORIGINAL POWER BASE MODEL

Model 3000....no built in game (has snail game). Made in Hong Kong. Thanks Greenween!

Model 3010....no built-in game (has snail game). Made in Japan, China, Taiwan

Model 3010-A..Hang-On/Safari Hunt. Made in China.

Model 3010-B..Hang-On/Astro Warrior (some B models may have just Hang-On).  Made in China.  Model/FCC labels may be upside down.

Model 3010-C..Missile Defense 3D

MASTER SYSTEM II MODELS

MK-3006. Made in Japan. Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in.

3006-22.  Made in Japan. Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in.  Canadian model.

What I'm trying to do is determine if any models without letters have any of the other games built-in. I was told that the label on the SMS shows just 3010 so I am hoping for the snail game.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by kamakazi20012

Continuing topic: 

Had to dig out of storage area downstairs, took me a while to find it but here are the results.

Woo Hoo I got Safari Hunt AND Hang- On!

post-15-0-69296600-1532123152_thumb.jpeg

My model / serial # 

post-15-0-75680700-1532123484_thumb.jpeg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I think this thread is a great one because I had no idea the SMS had a built-in game! Now I want a real console even more.

And if you don't like Hang-On or the other two games that accompany it, and can live without that card slot, the Master System II has Alex Kidd built-in as well.

Thanks guys! So far so good. No 3010 models have the common built-in games. And a 3000 model was discovered! Awesome!

Edited by kamakazi20012

The other consoles that I know of that had built-in games:

• Bally Astrocade - had gunfight/checkmate/calculator/doodler
  • Atari XEGS - had Missile Command built in.

Any others?

The SMS II had Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in.

It's been said the Power Base converter has no electronics...it simply reroutes cartridge connections. I took mine apart to clean it decades ago but don't remember what was inside.

There's not much in there, I used a dremel to cut away a lot of it to fit in my Genesis 2. :(

I had a Sega Master System about ten years ago with thirty-five games for it. I gave it away along with my ColecoVision collection to concentrate strictly on Atari games in my collection. The Sega even had a pair of 3D glasses. I used to play Maze Hunter 3D, Zaxxon 3D, and Missile Defense 3D. I even had Space Harrier 3D. Sorry, no more of that unfortunately. But, I do have over 300 games in my total Atari collection, for all five game systems and the computers. Kamakazi, if I still had it, I would have probably given it to you. It was a cherished part of my collection at one time, and I loved the SMS. I still do, by the way. I once had a Power Base for the Genesis myself, but it got worn out over time.

Sure thing!  Why not.  It is a MS after all.

9 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I had a Sega Master System about ten years ago with thirty-five games for it. I gave it away along with my ColecoVision collection to concentrate strictly on Atari games in my collection. The Sega even had a pair of 3D glasses. I used to play Maze Hunter 3D, Zaxxon 3D, and Missile Defense 3D. I even had Space Harrier 3D. Sorry, no more of that unfortunately. But, I do have over 300 games in my total Atari collection, for all five game systems and the computers. Kamakazi, if I still had it, I would have probably given it to you. It was a cherished part of my collection at one time, and I loved the SMS. I still do, by the way. I once had a Power Base for the Genesis myself, but it got worn out over time.

I would have loved it, BC.  I never seen the 3D Glasses for the system but I do remember seeing them on the system's box and tried hard to find them.  I hear they work well.  I had a Power Base converter for my Genesis as well.  Out of curiosity I took it apart.  To my surprise there were no electronics inside...just a board that rerouted the MS cartridges to work in the Genesis.  It had a few capacitors, resistors, diodes, and a logic IC.  Oh, and a Pause button.  So...the Genesis was able to use the carts without any emulation.  Kinda cool.  Too bad no other system did that.

Checking in with Sega Master System II Power Base. Model No. : MK-3006 Serial No. : B 00046475 Purchased brand new at Kay-Bee Toys in April, 1994 for $19.99. This game includes Alex Kidd in Miracle World built into the system. If you power on without inserting a game it will automatically play Alex Kidd. Not a bad little game. The world isn't quite as imaginative as Mario, but the colors are vibrant, graphics are detailed and it's a fun little adventure.

Interesting to note that the back actually has two stickers. The bottom layer is a full-size sticker, but only the Serial Number is allowed to show. A second sticker is stuck on over the first sticker, this is the one with the Sega logo that says "Master System II Power Base" with the model number and "Made In Japan". I wonder if the bottom sticker was originally intended for the original Master System I Power Base, or if it was used on Master Systems in foreign markets where it was quite popular.

2019-04-29 17:06:15.646.JPG

14 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Sure thing!  Why not.  It is a MS after all.

I would have loved it, BC.  I never seen the 3D Glasses for the system but I do remember seeing them on the system's box and tried hard to find them.  I hear they work well.  I had a Power Base converter for my Genesis as well.  Out of curiosity I took it apart.  To my surprise there were no electronics inside...just a board that rerouted the MS cartridges to work in the Genesis.  It had a few capacitors, resistors, diodes, and a logic IC.  Oh, and a Pause button.  So...the Genesis was able to use the carts without any emulation.  Kinda cool.  Too bad no other system did that.

I always was under the impression that the Power Base was a miniaturized SMS designed to run off the Genesis power supply. From what you are saying, that may not be the case. It must have been just enough circuitry to run piggyback with the Genesis for backwards compatibility. Interesting design. Quite innovative, actually.

1 hour ago, Control Issues said:

The Genesis has the Master System's main processor (Zilog Z80) as part of its design.  If I remember correctly, that's why it was so easy to make it backwards compatible.

Well, then, that makes more sense. Since the Z80 is part of the Genesis motherboard, I can see that happening. Pretty ingenious.