Squad Challenge - 2018 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Pole Position II
Atari 7800
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Test, Fuji, Seaside, & Suzuka

Achieve best lap time for each track to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 31st, 2018 September 14th, 2018

Objective: Play for the fastest possible lap time to complete each track in Pole Position II. Post a photo or video of your lap times in this thread. Lap times must be achieved between August 1st through August 31st September 14th, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified lap times. Multiple submissions are permitted. We are playing all four tracks on Pole Position II and posting our best lap times to complete each individual track: TEST, FUJI, SEASIDE, & SUZUKA. You may submit multiple lap times for ONE or ALL tracks. The player with the best lap time to complete each track is the 2018 Pole Position II Grand Prix Champion for that track!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Default. We are playing Pole Position II and posting our best lap times for each individual track: TEST, FUJI, SEASIDE, & SUZUKA. You may post lap times for one or all tracks of your choosing.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

:pole_position_big:

Welcome to our 42nd Squad Challenge, and our first Pole Position II Grand Prix Event! Pole Position is one of the most iconic arcade games released by Atari and was genre-defining for its time, setting a new standard of what racing gameplay could be like. Pole Position II of course was the pack-in title for the Atari 7800, and is often remembered as the first game 7800 owners played on their new game system. I have so many wonderful memories of playing Pole Position at Chuck E. Cheese's with my family, shifting gears and whipping around corners with a cheese stick in my hand and a cup of root beer on the floor under my feet. Pole Position II was also one of my favorite games to play at home and a wonderful memory on the Atari 7800.

:pole_position_blimp:  About the Pole Position II Grand Prix: This is our first annual Pole Position II Grand Prix! We're treating this like a real race, in that you're not posting a score, but rather you're posting your best lap time for each completed track. This may cause you to change up your strategy a bit and think differently about how you approach the game.

:pole_position_blimp:  Posting Your Lap Times: For this Squad Challenge we are posting our best lap times for each track: TEST, FUJI, SEASIDE, & SUZUKA. A scoreboard will be kept and a winner will be announced for each individual track! In order to have an eligible lap time that can be posted, you must make it to the finish line and complete the track without timing out. If you run out of time and don't make it to the end, you haven't completed the track and your time won't count. Your lap time is displayed on the top right of your TV screen. The player with the fastest time to the finish line is the 2018 Pole Position II Grand Prix Champion for that track! Prepare to qualify!

Pole_Position_II.a78Pole_Position_II.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Justin

Test Track = 268.00

gallery_823_11_812869.jpg

had to do a test run and fortunately :mac_alert:  I HAD MY CAMERA READY , :mac_alert:

after passing bonus is counted it seems to go back to the track selection screen.

Imma try the pause button but will STILL KEEP MY CAMERA READY !!!!

EDIT:

ok next race ( I didn't finish crashed to many times :(  ) BUT if you wait it will show your last scores & lap time while in attract mode

*whew* I was nervous for a little minute

Edited by chas10e

Wanted to post some lap times this morning but I can't find my Pole Position II for some reason. I have the box and instructions but the game isn't there. Maybe I loaned it to someone? I'll keep looking. I'd really like to not have to play on an emulator if I don't have to. In the meantime though I upped my Crystal Castles score above 50,000 pts just a little too late  ;)

Nice lap times everyone!  :pole_position:

So I turned my first attempts into a Let's Play. I plugged the site in it:

I was only able to complete the test track in 276:14 at the 6:50 mark, but I may try to improve my score later.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Hey Justin, I have an extra PP2 you can have for free.  It's got a cracked case, but it does work fine.  PM me your address and I'll ship it to you.

Thanks Rick I really appreciate it! I'll return it after I find one of my two copies. I'll send you a PM.

Tried to hook up my 7800 to my TV but my cable to connect to the TV is missing! I have no idea where it's at! So disappointing. However I managed to get the 7800 library working on my NES classic.

post-79-0-00208700-1533631482_thumb.jpg

Really wanted to take part in this one. Now I'll be able to!

Edited by Kid A

Ok. So I tried again without talking and without being sooo tired. Did somewhat better

Test  267:37

post-303-0-38882300-1533690609_thumb.jpg

Fuji  303:79

post-303-0-87938700-1533690627_thumb.jpg

I also had my game glitch out during Fuji. Betcha didn't know PPII had a night track!

post-303-0-19950100-1533690646_thumb.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Hey folks! I just got my hands on the Pole Position II cart that RickR sent me and will be posting some lap times later tonight. The Squad Challenge runs through the end of the month so I'm going to use that time to get my best times possible. Good luck to everyone! And special thanks again to Rick for being so thoughtful and generous, as always  :pole_position:

Here are my first lap times for the Test and Fuji tracks. I'm still working on improving these times and will also have times to post for Seaside and Suzuka. 

Test: 269:79

Suzuka: 296:79

that looks like the Fuji track

first you said "Fuji" but put wrong track next to score

Edited by chas10e

Nice score greenween!

Man oh man, these tracks are tough! Especially Suzuka, it's nearly impossible. Hats off to anyone able to finish that course. This has been incredibly challenging, but I love it. This was always one of my favorite and most sentimental games but it's been at least 4-5 years since I last played. This past day or two I really felt like I've pulled the old racing suit out of the closet, gotten suited up and gone back out on the track. It's been a lot of fun.

Nice score greenween!

Man oh man, these tracks are tough! Especially Suzuka, it's nearly impossible. Hats off to anyone able to finish that course. This has been incredibly challenging, but I love it. This was always one of my favorite and most sentimental games but it's been at least 4-5 years since I last played. This past day or two I really felt like I've pulled the old racing suit out of the closet, gotten suited up and gone back out on the track. It's been a lot of fun.

I feel like I hit a solid wall @ 255 MPH :pow_big: :pole_position_big: :pow_big:

:nintendo_mario_coin: I think if ANYONE can complete the Seaside or the Suzuka track they;ll be the driving ace for this challenge :nintendo_mario_coin:

I'm getting a bit better on those tracks with at least one lap completed after qualifying :pole_position_blimp_big: