Looks like Sega might have dropped AtGames

Atari Creep

I saw this right when it went up on your YouTube channel and it was the first I've heard about this. It's a pretty serious thing if these guys start walking away from AtGames and I think its for the best. One of the most disappointing things "Atari" has done in the past decade is rely on AtGames to continue making Flashback consoles, something that did not originate with them.

I saw this right when it went up on your YouTube channel and it was the first I've heard about this. It's a pretty serious thing if these guys start walking away from AtGames and I think its for the best. One of the most disappointing things "Atari" has done in the past decade is rely on AtGames to continue making Flashback consoles, something that did not originate with them.

Agree 100%. They were fine for what they were and when they were, but EVERY YEAR with that crap. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I don't know if he frequents here but I've been getting into it with Bill Loguidice a bit on Atariage. It's nothing personal and I get that he seems to be the PR guy for ATgames (and the one I suspect is behind the twitter comments for Atgames, same type of verbiage) but I find some of his comments defending them disingenuous. I can't put my finger on it but some of his comments don't sit with me as being entirely truthful

Frankly I never bought the "casual audience" argument. A company that doesn't care about the atari collector and hardcore enthusiast seems to spend a lot of time having their PR guy post on an Atari fan website and sends review copies to one of the biggest retro collectors out there - John Hancock. Am I wong?

Edited by Atarileaf

I don't know if he frequents here but I've been getting into it with Bill Loguidice a bit on Atariage. It's nothing personal and I get that he seems to be the PR guy for ATgames (and the one I suspect is behind the twitter comments for Atgames, same type of verbiage) but I find some of his comments defending them disingenuous. I can't put my finger on it but some of his comments don't sit with me as being entirely truthful

Frankly I never bought the "casual audience" argument. A company that doesn't care about the atari collector and hardcore enthusiast seems to spend a lot of time having their PR guy post on an Atari fan website and sends review copies to one of the biggest retro collectors out there - John Hancock. Am I wong?

:beer:

Eh, I agree with you. I like Bill, we go back to Armchair arcade, some podcasts etc, known him a long time, he definitely has always been more of a "glass half full" type. We have had pleasant exchanges and I would like to think even a friendship and have been supportive of each others endeavours so I never align myself when someone over on AA that straight up calls him nothing more than a shill for AtGames but THAT SAID, I have cut Bill a lot of slack in past, as well, and like you, challenged some ideas BUT lately, yeah I am finding his association with AtGames is definitely imho causing him to lose some objectivity and perhaps with that some credibility. :(

I believe he means to be honest and when pressed I would say he is a good well meaning person but he does seem defensive to a fault where AtGames is concerned. And I agree, the "Causal audience" excuse does not hold water for me anymore, it seems to be the card AtGames often plays whenever they just don't want to admit to the crap quality or have a real excuse for the product shortcomings. Like you say, when AtGames is sending product to Gaming Youtubers for review and giving info to articles etc they cannot then go claiming their product is for the impulse casual gamer the moment they are questioned or called out, and even so that is NOT a good excuse for shoddy product or business practices. To suggest that Atgames does anything more than release (and re-release) the cheapest low end barely satisfactory experience to make the most profit cashing in on nostalgia is just silly at this point. That is exactly the AtGames strategy and on some level I wish they would just own up to it. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Sorry Rob I had no idea you were close to Bill and again I want to reiterate I'm not going after him as a person, I'm going after him as a representative of the company he works for. For better or worse he's the face of the company and his words are their words and assuming that's true, I have a big problem with those words.

Having said all of this I have not ruled out getting a Flashback 9. As a fellow Canuck you know these are a hundred canuck bucks and at that price point I expect a certain quality from my purchase. As i mentioned over at AA, if the NES Classic is $80, has a superb quality and can be hacked to the teeth (my entire collection is on it now, plus some Mame games) then I would think a product that wants $20 more from me had better be at least close in quality.

I asked Bill for a ballpark on the availability and price of the paddles for the flashback 9 and was told when he knows we'll know. How do they not know when the flashback 9's are in store and available (on walmart.ca anyway I haven't gone in the stores). This is especially important because by design it seems the flashback 9's will ONLY work with their paddles FOR THIS YEAR. Previous flashback paddles apparently won't work, neither do original paddles. If they are in short supply that makes portions of the games unplayable with no other options available. 

Edited by Atarileaf

On 10/31/2018 at 7:07 AM, Atarileaf said:

Sorry Rob I had no idea you were close to Bill and again I want to reiterate I'm not going after him as a person, I'm going after him as a representative of the company he works for. For better or worse he's the face of the company and his words are their words and assuming that's true, I have a big problem with those words.

Nothing to be sorry for at all, I get it and as I attempted to convey in my post,  I agree with your assessment. :beer:

We make friends online and over the years being in this hobby  connect with some people BUT THAT SAID it is not the first time I later would disagree or straight up disapprove of someones opinion or actions. This is because, whether or not it is to a fault, I call things out and I always try to be honest and informed in my opinion because, I stand by what I say.

At times, telling it like it is or calling something out can definitely rub someone the wrong way. I have had a slight issue in the past where I advised buying product from a certain source, I was later contacted from a person who in the past, I had reviewed and recommended their product and they did not like that I was sending traffic to a competitor. Thing is, since my initial findings, video, review, I had dealt with another distributor that I felt gave over all a better deal especially for those who liked to tinker a bit or did not need all the bells and whistles included with the product. But this person seemed to take it quite personally, at some point I realized from their dialogue that they just assumed because of some past dealing and association that I was somehow now on "their side" and would should never suggest a competitor. Well, that's not me and really, if my association with someone depends solely on me backing them up and never suggesting to fellow hobbyist and gamer a cheaper or perhaps better alternative well, that is an association I could do without. I felt I even likely sacrificed receiving future product from them but you know, given the chance I would do it all over again because I felt I was true and honest to myself, I will always call it as I see it, I may not always be right but the best I can do is be honest with myself and others and hope those that stick with me are the true friends.  ;)

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I'm excited about the new Sega Genesis and Sega Master System compatible game system from Analogue that's coming out called the Analogue Mega Sg. It's a real console with lots of features and plays real cartridges region free. They also have a nice Super Nintendo console as well. The price is $189, more than an AtGames console but less than other "custom" consoles and about what I'd expect to pay for a new game system.

I've seen lots of AtGames products over the holidays.  Looks like they crammed whatever games they could on the leftover Genesis 3 looking thing plus controllers with specific games put in them.  Not the best quality.  I would rather spend my money on a My Arcade product whether it be a micro arcade or one of the new mini arcade machines.  i could deal with fading labels from use before i could a low quality emulator put inside cheap plastic.  AtGames products never felt nor played right as far as I am concerned.

"Casual audience?"  You either play games or you don't, period.  No matter which way you swing you are still going to expect high quality equipment.