awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Ice Hockey
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: 1 Player, Speed 1, Time 7 Minutes

Achieve high score after 1 game to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 14th, 2018

Objective: Complete 1 Hockey game (3 Periods of 7 minutes each) for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 14th, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: 1 Player, Speed 1, Time 7 Minutes. These are default settings that permit 1 player to play at default speed for 3 Periods, each 7 minutes long.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 44th Squad Challenge! We're moving into some cooler weather, and it's time to play some Ice Hockey! This happens to be one of the most fun early sports games on the NES. You might be surprised at how much fun this game can be. Does it stack up to Pro Wrestling? We'll have to see. Ice Hockey also happens to be pretty easy to get your hands on, either through an original NES cartridge, Switch download, or emulation, so hopefully we'll have lots of members participating. Let's hit the ice!  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie: 

Ice Hockey.nesIce Hockey.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Haven't played this since I was a kid. It was a goto rental for my buddy and I for a long time. This should be very interesting.  

I love Ice Hockey!

I knew this would be an interesting game to throw into the mix! I thought this would be a fun way of mixing things up for the next two weeks. Hope everybody has fun with this one  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie:

Uh, there may be a fatal flaw to this challenge.  I hope I'm wrong.  But there's no easy way to take a picture of the score!  I grabbed my camera while the guys were dancing at the end of the game...but you literally only have a few seconds to snap....AND the score flashes.  So both my pictures were during the "blank" part of the flash!

I scored 3 goals.  No picture proof though.

Uh, there may be a fatal flaw to this challenge. I hope I'm wrong. But there's no easy way to take a picture of the score! I grabbed my camera while the guys were dancing at the end of the game...but you literally only have a few seconds to snap....AND the score flashes. So both my pictures were during the "blank" part of the flash!

I scored 3 goals. No picture proof though.

You could pause the game as the team celebrates on the ice just make sure you pause when the score is on the screen.

Uh, there may be a fatal flaw to this challenge.  I hope I'm wrong.  But there's no easy way to take a picture of the score!  I grabbed my camera while the guys were dancing at the end of the game...but you literally only have a few seconds to snap....AND the score flashes.  So both my pictures were during the "blank" part of the flash!

I scored 3 goals.  No picture proof though.

Oh no!  :( 

You could pause the game as the team celebrates on the ice just make sure you pause when the score is on the screen.

Try this. Hopefully this works! If we have to go back and make an "honor code" exception for this one game we will take a look at it. Try Kid A's suggestion and let's see how that works.

So I have GOOD news and BAD news.

BAD : The only way I have to play NES is on my modded Wii and I think it crapped out. I am going to try to "repair" it if possible. I do not have an NES because I am on a Nintend'NO kick right now. hahaha 

GOOD: I have a Sega Genesis and can play any Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System and SG1000 game on it using my flash cart. HAHAHAHA (unrelated, I know)

Going to try and get this going ASAP but if I can't, I am sorry that I wont be joining in on this one. LOVE this game

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Oh no!  :( 

Try this. Hopefully this works! If we have to go back and make an "honor code" exception for this one game we will take a look at it. Try Kid A's suggestion and let's see how that works.

Oh in that case, ignore my last message. I got 278.3 goals. HAHAHAHA  :rofl:

JOKING JOKING JOKING!!!!!!!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

So I have GOOD news and BAD news.

BAD : The only way I have to play NES is on my modded Wii and I think it crapped out. I am going to try to "repair" it if possible. I do not have an NES because I am on a Nintend'NO kick right now. hahaha

GOOD: I have a Sega Genesis and can play any Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System and SG1000 game on it using my flash cart. HAHAHAHA (unrelated, I know)

Going to try and get this going ASAP but if I can't, I am sorry that I wont be joining in on this one. LOVE this game

I have an extra Wii console that's ok looking but works great. I could install Homebrew Channel on it for you and send it to you.

So the best I've been able to do on several attempts is 10... still trying to figure out how to get more. I've only played on the Nintendo Online service on the Switch though, so I'm going to try on actual hardware this weekend to see if there's a difference.

I want to encourage everyone to share basic Tips & Strategy for Ice Hockey!  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  :nintendo_mario_freezie:  8-Bit sports games have always been in their own world. Controls aren't always intuitive, and these games can be hard to figure out at first. I don't mean give away the details of your strategy, but just to help each other get the hang of things. I'm still trying to get the hang of the game myself!