Arcade 1up arcade machines

jmjustin6

So as im sure all of you have seen and read about the new arcade 1up arcade machines (trying to avoid using the words full size arcades) and just wanted get yalls opinions on them. So far im seeing that they are starting to pop up at walmarts. Have you gotten one already? Are you planning to get one? Are you on the fence? Does one stand out more to you?

For me they are just too small. I am 6'3" and these things with the 13" riser are 4'3". My pole position arcade is a solid 6 feet tall and if it was any shorter my back couldnt take it.

Now for the price. At first i thought $299 wasnt so bad for a full size arcade at home with multiple games built in and supposedly arcade roms this time. But for the size of it. Im not sold on the price at all.

Now i might actually be interested in one of someone finds a way to hack it and add more games to it, but from what ive read so far it doesnt look to be possible. Looks like the best you could do is get one and throw a pi in there

Anyway what are yall thoughts? Do you already own one? If so im sure we would all love to know your thoughts and review on it. Thanks!

post-844-0-26803300-1540009847_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-58572800-1540009856.jpg

Played one at the 2018 Houston Arcade Expo - the screen is off center, the trak ball is too small .... so not worth it!

Build your own!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

On 10/31/2018 at 2:50 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

Yea...our Walmart has a demo unit setup where all you can do is push a button to watch a short demo. You can't touch the controls. If I was to get one I would be after either the Asteroids or Galaga model. I'm hoping they addressed the artwork issue by now as is the issue with the rotary controller.

For me, I would love the one with "Crystal Castles" in it. That is my favorite Atari arcade game of all time. I love it. The problem is that I cannot get it into my current living space. So, it is just wishful thinking, at best. 

They had 2 playable demo units at my WM. I shared this on my fb:

Here are my thoughts on the Arcade1Up games displayed at my Walmart.
Good: SF2 sounded and played great
Bad: Only 2 volume settings, short cabinets, price
Ugly: Trakball not smooth enough, felt cheaply made, paint rubbing off panels and broken 2P joystick on SF2.

46396486_1943071065789637_6874296629868888064_o.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

18 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

They had 2 playable demo units at my WM. I shared this on my fb:

Here are my thoughts on the Arcade1Up games displayed at my Walmart.
Good: SF2 sounded and played great
Bad: Only 2 volume settings, short cabinets, price
Ugly: Trakball not smooth enough, felt cheaply made, paint rubbing off panels and broken 2P joystick on SF2.

46396486_1943071065789637_6874296629868888064_o.jpg

they are built extremely cheap.  not impressed with them although they do have good sound and a nice monitor.  thre is a clear plastic overlay you can gt to protect the paint, but they should put those on from the factory.   I plan on getting one in a year or so when they start showing up on clearance or 2nd hand, then rework them with better controls, maybe make a picade out of one. 

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512