Squad Challenge - Canyon Bomber (Atari 2600)

Justin

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Wowza, great score.  How many screens did you clear to get there?  2?  I've been having a hard time clearing one...those last few bricks are hard to hit unless you get a slow plane. 

I cleared the canyon 2 times to get that score. I find it very challenging though to clear it even once, especially the last few bricks at times. There were many times I was doing great, but kept missing on a single break in the center, lol.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Anytime you need help, just ask.  Welcome aboard and have some fun. 

The cool things about these challenges is the chance to try a game you might otherwise have glossed over.  And usually, with a little practice and competition, you get better at them and have some fun with them.  That's been the case for me anyways. 

10 minutes ago, RickR said:

Your video looks good.  ?

I concur:  I can see the difficulty settings are set correctly

Once you have a successful hit on a boulder you don't need to fire again until a new plane enters the screen. If you don't fire for a given screen , you will lose some precious health

21 minutes ago, Lauren Tyler said:

Good good! I'm still new here so bear with me.

Welcome to the Site \o/

Willie did a good review of both this & the arcade version

Hat Trick! It took many, many, many, many, many....tries, but I finally cleared the canyon 3 times within a game.  KidA, you really pushed me to my limit!

canyon.thumb.jpg.bc140c585487a7bcaaf2bfd40d5e3d5a.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

On 11/23/2018 at 2:39 PM, nosweargamer said:

I was practicing a bit this past week. This is a game I didn't like, until this HSS informed me I was playing it wrong! I didn't realize it wasn't timed based, but missed shot based! Really changed things. All this time I thoughts it was a boring button masher...

I kind of went through the same process. I love rediscovering an old game that I always took for granted! Finding joy in old games that you've tossed aside is like getting water out of a stone.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations nosweargamer!

BOMBS AWAY!! Congratulations to nosweargamer on another win! Great to see so many people turning out for Canyon Bomber and watching everybody's game improve in the thread! I love that you guys are so willing to help each other out with tips and tricks. nosweargamer posted an amazing 1517 points! Kid A had a strong showing with an impressive 1269 points! This was both our last Squad Challenge in the old forums and our first Squad Challenge in the new forums! It was a bit of a bumpy ride but we got through it. A huge congratulations to everybody who turned out for this Squad Challenge and posting absolutely incredible scores! Also a very special welcome to our new member Lauren Tyler who jumped right into High Score Squad and posted her first challenge! Welcome Lauren! chas10e, greenween, RickR, Atari Creep, and Lauren Tyler all posted terrific scores. *Note that greenween's 644 point score was submitted as "You'll just have to take my word for it" due to spilling a drink on his camera. Congrats to everyone who played! I'd encourage nosweargamer to post his new high score on the Scoreboard! I have some cleaning up to do in the Scoreboard now that we've upgraded to the new forums, I should have that done by the end of the week. Way to go guys!

CANYON BOMBER FINAL STANDINGS

1   NOSWEARGAMER       1517

2   KID A                              1269

3   CHAS10E                       1071

4   GREENWEEN                 644*

5   RICKR                               618

6   ATARI CREEP                  580

7   LAUREN TYLER              308

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

On 12/2/2018 at 1:37 AM, greenween said:

Haha! This was a fun one. That asterisk will haunt me though. :)

That is, if you really are greenween*! 😆

green.gif.a21aafd25a7052f0915aff409ec2c859.gif

Edited by nosweargamer

On 12/1/2018 at 12:57 AM, chas10e said:

1071 was the best I could do for this challenge. missed the last boulder by half a pixel

The worst was when you shot landed right on the edge on the side in-between two blocks😞

On 11/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, nosweargamer said:

Hat Trick! It took many, many, many, many, many....tries, but I finally cleared the canyon 3 times within a game.  KidA, you really pushed me to my limit!

canyon.thumb.jpg.bc140c585487a7bcaaf2bfd40d5e3d5a.jpg

Great score! I tried my hardest and when I got to score that I did. I think I did clear three times. That was really hard to do. it sucks that when you don't even take a shot that it counts as a missed shot too.