Justin

What games do you want to see in High Score Squad for 2019?

3 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

While I'm here, I would like to inquire as to how I go about joining a squad?

You've just joined the squad, Lauren! High Score Squad is open to everybody in the forums. All you have to do is post a picture of your high score!

High Score Squad is a friendly high score contest that we have twice a month in the forums (usually posted on the 1st and 15th). I'll post a new Squad Challenge with a game, difficulty settings, and when the Squad Challenge ends. We spend the next 2 weeks playing the game and sharing our high scores in the forums! We're operating on the honor system. We're all playing on the same difficulty settings so we're all on equal footing. When we get a score we like we take a photo of the tv screen and share the photo here. On the 1st or 15th of the month the Squad Challenge ends, final scores are posted and the next Squad Challenge is announced. It's a lot of fun and it's been a good way for us to get to know each other.

You can find all of the High Score Squad Challenges posted in this forum: http://forums.atari.io/index.php?/forum/73-high-score-squad/ The current Squad Challenge is usually pinned at the top.

More detailed rules are posted here: 

Jaguar and its games are very rare and costly nowadays.  One title you can guarantee everyone has for the Jaguar would be Cybermorph which is not a bad game game and could be a good high score challenge.  Raiden on it as well as that game is very unforgiving.  I have those along with Hover Strike and Wolfenstein 3-D.  

I have two systems needing accessories and games before I can enjoy them but might suggest more SNES and SMS stuff.  Genesis, too.  But those systems are very lacking in the games I have for them if any at all.  Maybe more modern systems could be in the mix like the first PlayStation, Saturn, XBOX.  Those have arcade and pinball games available with most easily obtainable.  However, those might leave peeps that rely on emulation out of the challenges.

Personally I would enjoy seeing some ST challenges.  I have seen lots of Atari challenges but have not yet seen any ST challenges.  And software for those is easier to obtain and run on real or emulated hardware than some might think.  Not that I encourage illegal copying of commercial software but, let's face it, Atari stuff is drying up and some systems are hard to find original software for.  I'm not very familiar with the ST so doing a few challenges would be an excuse for me to get warmed up to one.

My main thing is choosing systems that have not made very many or no appearances in the challenges more often.  Atari is the reason why we even got the likes of Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and others in the first place.  So it only makes sense to include those as well.  It doesn't have to a score challenge either.  In the likes of modern racers it could be the fastest time on a given track.  Just as an example.  I love Atari don't get me wrong but I can't see not including non-Atari systems as often either.  Every machine has its good games in their library somewhere.

Besides, I just learned how and where Genesis got its name.  It's as much Atari as the others.

Genesis name hidden in an ST game's history.  

Nice new Atari I/O looks!!

6 hours ago, Atarileaf said:

I'll be down for pretty much anything. If I don't own it I'll try to emulate it. Never tried lynx or jag emulation . How hard is it?

Jaguar emulation is difficult at best.  I have not found a Jaguar emulator yet that didn't require a lot of computer power or did not have issues.  The Jags controller when it comes to having to use the keypad can be frustrating when emulated on a computer keyboard.  However, I hear Handy is a good Lynx emulator.  Others may have better suggestions that I have.

Now this I would like:

1 hour ago, RickR said:

How would people feel about a real arcade game...emulated via MAME, for example?  Those games would be really good for a challenge, since they are designed to end quickly and for high scores. 

I just need to setup a MAME system LOL.  The only real issue with this is with ROM sites.  Most of the ones I knew have been shut down due to Nintendo's C&D threats.  But I am all thumbs up for this.

I still say to show more ST support in the high score challenges but I also like RickR's idea of using MAME.  It also wouldn't hurt to see the use of arcade compilations like Midway's Greatest Hits for modern systems (PS3/360/XBOX/PS2).  I bought those games because of the games which are nothing more than arcade ROMs played through an emulator.  Not much different than MAME.  It would be neat to see those games get put through a challenge.

Buggy Boy on the ST would be a good one to try.  I can't believe I tried and tried to find this game on any system once a buddy and me played the arcade.  And the ST got it.  I'm surprised there wasn't an NES version of it.  Here's a video of the game on the ST for those curious what it is.

Edited by kamakazi20012

Had a great suggestion in our inaugural Chat tonight that we run some Game Boy Squad Challenges. What would some good Game Boy game suggestions be? The most obvious would be Tetris but we just did that on NES.

Yes to homebrews, as long as they are ones with roms available to download since it's going to be hard to find a large group of participants who may have a particular title in their library. Having said that, Draconian please :D

I think I can do Lynx on the NES Classic via retroarch so that should be doable for me. Mame, same thing I can do that on the NES Classic and I have a bunch of roms ready to go to take advantage of it

As for gameboy games, I'm gonna suggest Mr. Do, it's a rarer title but excellent. Burgertime on the GB is awesome too. I personally don't have many but again emulation is doable.

It would be cool to see some arcade games with mame emulation. A lot of old arcade games were made to shoot for the highest score possible.  Some others would maybe be most nes black box games, a handful of Activision 2600 games. 

21 hours ago, Justin said:

Had a great suggestion in our inaugural Chat tonight that we run some Game Boy Squad Challenges. What would some good Game Boy game suggestions be? The most obvious would be Tetris but we just did that on NES.

Two fairly common games that might work are Solar Striker and F-1 Race (in obstacle course mode, perhaps.)

22 hours ago, Justin said:

Alleyway? Super Mario Land?

I've wanted to do a platformer ever since we started but haven't really wrapped my mind around how we would do that. Games like Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Bonk's Revenge, Alex Kidd, Mega Man and others are pillars of the later 8-Bit generation. My concern is that if we are playing for a high score it would become about finding infinite coins, or some people would be good enough to play all the way through and keep going ad infinitum with no end to the game. Seems like the objective of the Squad Challenge would potentially have to be something more than just achieving the highest score. What do you think?

3 hours ago, Justin said:

I've wanted to do a platformer ever since we started but haven't really wrapped my mind around how we would do that. Games like Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Bonk's Revenge, Alex Kidd, Mega Man and others are pillars of the later 8-Bit generation. My concern is that if we are playing for a high score it would become about finding infinite coins, or some people would be good enough to play all the way through and keep going ad infinitum with no end to the game. Seems like the objective of the Squad Challenge would potentially have to be something more than just achieving the highest score. What do you think?

Single life might work. Or the honor system with a rule of no point pressing (like dying on purpose to get more points).

One reason I though of SML, is because I believe it is a short platformer.

Some people can breeze through Super Mario games.  The GB Mario Land is a really great title and short.  I have SMB 2 and 3 on the NES, and others on the Classic Mini.  My Wii came with Super Mario World (SNES) and Tetris Party.  My Genesis has only Sonic 2 (which I really don't care for) while I prefer the first Sonic.  

There is one area you have not mentioned at all.  Dreamcast.  Dreamcast has Sonic Adventure.  And I remember one online tournament Sega did with the console and game was who ever could get through a set stage the fastest.  It wasn't a high score challenge but a time challenge.  If you are going to do Super Mario challenge I would incorporate three requirements:

1. 1 Life Only
  2. Highest Score
  3. Fastest Time

Combination of all three should determine the winner.  Only downfall is that levels can't usually be selected if they have not been previously played.  But you can use the same requirements on Sonic as well.  On the original Sonic there is a controller code you can perform to select stages but I forget the code.  Sonic Adventure allows players to play any stage they've previously passed.  

One thing I have not seen much of is 2D shooters like Gradius and others.  Zanac was a solid NES shooter and I have Twin Cobra and Thunder Force II on Genesis.  I know these are not Atari games but are every bit as challenging if not more so.  Others to consider would be Gradius III (SNES), Nemesis (GB), Solar Striker (as mentioned).  Other GB games would be Alleyway, Motocross Maniacs, Qix, Super RC Pro-Am, Operation C, Double Dragon 1, 2, and 3, Radar Mission, and R-Type to name a few.  GB also had a healthy supply of classic arcade games so don't leave those off.