Star Trek Continues

RickR

I know I'm way late to this party...this is now a few years old.  But I just found it and I'm hooked.

It's called "Star Trek Continues", and it's a free on YouTube.  It's fan created Star Trek episodes.  I know, right?  Probably very nerdy.  But no...this one is special.  The acting is so-so, and pretty bad in spots...but oh my, did they ever capture the look and feel of the original series.  Very great sets, lighting, costumes and props.  Music from TOS.  Effects that look very much like the remastered TOS.  Stories that are meant to continue the 5 year mission of TOS.  I've only watched 3 episodes so far, and I'm hooked.  Some highlights so far:

• Episode one is a continuation of the "Apollo" character from the TOS episode "Who Mourns for Adonais?".  It stars the same actor that originally played Apollo.  Is that Marina Sirtis as the voice of the computer?  YES it is!
  • Episode two features Lou Ferrigno as a Orion slave trader who just happens to be GREEN! 
  • Episode three is set in the mirror universe and is a continuation of TOS "Mirror Mirror".  Is that Michael Dorn as the ISS computer voice?  Yep

If you squint your eyes just a tiny amount...this really feels like the real deal.  As I was watching episode two, my wife walked in and assumed it was indeed the real show..."What episode is this?". 

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  And if you have, tell me what you think

Star_Trek_Continues_-_Lolani_poster.jpg

Edited by RickR

Oh yes, this was a great show.  An excellent continuation of the original series and it concludes up to the events of Star Trek TMP.  I've had a chance to meet Vic and several other cast members of the show and they did this out of love for Star Trek.  It is unfortunate it had to come to an end a bit earlier than planned because of the new rules from CBS. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

They are awesome, seen them all, very much a product of love and IMHO the closest thing we ever got or will get to the OG Trek series. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

9 hours ago, Justin said:

In the mid-2000s when Star Trek New Voyages and Star Trek Phase II began I watched with an open mind and enjoyed the fan series for what they were. Star Trek Continues has done such a fantastic job with this though. Very disappointing to see how Paramount & CBS have treated fan films.

I don't know the history yet, other than TrekMD mentioning they had to stop making episodes early.  Probably when they started planning "Discovery".

But as an outsider, I think it's pretty incredible they allowed the usage of the name, music, etc for several years.  After all, that license is still very valuable.  

No, it was not because of Discovery.  Or, at least, that's not the reason we have been given to understand.  Apparently the problem was Axanar as the team behind it were a bit "loud" about how they were making a professional production and got CBS pissed.  So, the set rules for fan productions with many restrictions.  ST Continues was non-profit so they were allowed to, well, continue, but Vic decided to finish the production 2 episodes early.

Prelude to Axanar is excellent and it shows the quality of the material being developed.  It also included actors and other people behind the scenes who had worked on Star Trek before, which was another reason CBS got pissed.  We are still going to see two 15 minute vignettes from them but they won't be the same as what had been planned.  Here is an update video of the current production:

We've made through 3 episodes of "The Expanse", and it's good so far.  Picking up steam. 

I just want to mention the obvious....we (my wife and I) are terrible at "binge-watching".  It's just so hard to find time.  So season one of The Expanse will probably take us a month to get through. 

I'm really slow at binge watching.  Have you noticed?

I just made it to episode 9 of STC "What Ships are For" and just had to comment.  This one is the best episode so far.  It seriously is good enough that it fits right in with TOS.  Excellent.  I'm stunned.