Squad Challenge - 2018 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge (Super Nintendo)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

F-ZERO
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Grand Prix > King League > Standard Class > Mute City III
Achieve best time to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST December 14th, 2018

Objective: Play for the best possible time using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 1st through December 14th, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the best time at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Grand Prix > King League > Standard Class > Mute City III. We are playing for the best overall time to complete the course at Mute City III. At the title screen select Grand Prix. Players may select any air car they wish. Next, select the League and Class in which you wish to race. Players will select King League, Standard Class. This will start you at Mute City III. You do not have to play the rest of the courses. We are only playing for the best overall time to complete the course at Mute City III.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

Message: Welcome to our 48th Squad Challenge! This time we're playing our first Super Nintendo Squad Challenge, a true SNES classic! F-ZERO is one of the iconic titles on Super Nintendo and was a good demonstration of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics. F-ZERO was a predecessor to anti-gravity racing league games such as Wipeout that would come in following generations. PDF F-ZERO Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

:nintendo_snes: Note: This is our first Super Nintendo Squad Challenge!

http://www.atari.io/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

F-ZERO.pdf

2 minutes ago, Lauren Tyler said:

I hope this is OK.  If not, I'll do it again with a video file.

Looks fine Lauren! Usually just take a photo of the screen with your phone (not a screenshot since they're easier to manipulate) ☺️ That's a great time!

3 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

Next time I'll use my phone for sure.

While I'm thinking of it, is the SNES Classic acceptable, since it's technically emulation?

I believe it would be acceptable.  I used a NES Classic Mini in another score challenge not too long ago.  Real hardware, dedicated consoles, MAME and emulation are OK.

4 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

While I'm thinking of it, is the SNES Classic acceptable, since it's technically emulation?

Absolutely! We want High Score Squad to be accessible to as many people as possible. You can always play on SNES Classic 👍 

This was an issue we spent a lot of time discussing when we were developing what High Score Squad would be. Some of my friends, long-time Atari people, felt that it wouldn't be a level playing field to play on emulation or dedicated consoles and that we should only be playing on real hardware. I totally get where they're coming from, and if we were playing at a super serious level or for a world record, I would agree. We're only playing for fun though, and we want as many people to participate as can! So I see it as pick your "weapon of choice", if a player thinks there's some significant advantage to playing on emulation or a dedicated console, go for it. We all have that option and are free to choose what works best for us. Much like picking which air car works best for you in F-ZERO. The whole idea is to get people playing and rediscovering these old games. More and more that means on a dedicated console like NES Mini or Atari Flashback. We want High Score Squad to be a good reason to play and enjoy these games.

The key here is that you are:

1. Playing the original game ROM, not an altered or hacked version
  2. Not using cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, emulation enhancements,, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage
  3. Playing the correct release of the game. Atari 2600 Dig Dug is not Atari 7800 Dig Dug, etc.

If you look at the top left of every Squad Challenge you will see we lay out what controllers, difficulty level etc. we are playing on. The sixth line almost always says:

Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔

I think you'll do just fine here ☺️ If you have any questions feel free to ask, or check out this page with more detailed rules: 

45 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I like all of the courses but Silence was my favorite.  Mute City III was a challenging course for sure.  I'd always get those dumb drivers, about to blow up, get in front of me.

Glad you're enjoying F-ZERO! If people enjoy this game and participation is good we may revisit F-ZERO again way in the future with a different course. Maybe Silence!

3 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

F-Zero was the only reason I got a Super NES when it came out.  Earth Defense Force is fun, too.  Unfortunately, as much as I would love to play, I don't have the game and no controllers.

I loved F-ZERO when it first came out too! F-ZERO and Pilotwings were the two early games that drew me to Super Nintendo. F-ZERO always reminds me of this time of year, it being cold outside and some of my favorite shows being on TV.

58 minutes ago, RickR said:

2'29"74

I'm playing on a Retron 3.  This is a fun game.  The controls are a little sluggish -- I was expecting Mario Kart.  But it makes sense being in a hover craft and all. 

Glad to see you dove into the game! The different feel of the cars is all part of the game. Here's one aspect of the game F-ZERO shares with Mario Kart: Each of the four cars drives a little differently. Some are faster, others corner better. If you're just getting into F-ZERO for the first time I suggest trying out all four cars and drive them each around a few laps to see which one best suits your driving style.