Ch...ch...ch...changes

Sabertooth

I have been MIA lately due to some major life changes.  My wife and I are separating after 15 years and I just recently moved on my own.  This all came as a shock to me. I also took on a promotion at work in late August.

Between everything going on I've taken a break from gaming to reflect and heal. I'm in a studio loft downtown, so I'm a bit space challenged and will probably not have a rig for awhile. The new TV doesn't have inputs for legacy connections so I'll be getting a Retrotink for composite and S Video. Will post my rig when it's setup.

The one thing I'm really pumped on is the loft (space aside).  I can now walk to work and I have some pretty amazing views.  I didn't ask for a midlife crises but I'm trying to make the most of it. Wanted to share this sunrise photo from this morning. 

Happy holidays to the Atari.io community!  I'll see you in 2019! 

IMG_20181220_061908591.thumb.jpg.4279f1dff6f2edfb6b61455daa248dcd.jpg

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again, wouldn't wish that on anyone.  We are here for you, bro!  If you need to vent I'm sure we will listen.  The plus side is you got an awesome view!  When my ex and I split I only had my car and a few clothes.  My car was my home for a while.  I had no job at the time because where I worked decided to kill off third shift completely and thinned out first and second shift crews.  All without much warning.

So, you are blessed even if you don't think so at the moment.  You have your health, a job, an awesome pad , and friends with ears.  Hang in there.  It might take a while but it can get better from where you're at now.  Merry Christmas to you!!

Sorry to hear of your troubles and glad to read things are looking on the up and up for you. Do not hesitate to speak up if ya need anything, even if its just an open ear. You are in company that understands the struggles and their trials. Glad to see ya back and here is to a happy and amazing 2019. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I appreciate all of the support.  I know things could be a lot worse and there are a lot of positives.  I'm just throwing myself into my work, getting back in shape (20 down, 15 lbs to goal!), playing guitar and reconnecting with friends.  Oddly, my twenty year-old daughter and I haven't been this close since she was a pre-teen.  It's been cool to spend time together. I went back to my hometown of Columbus, OH over the holidays and it was just the recharge that I needed.  It can only get better from here. 

A quick retro gaming story from my trip. My buddy of 28 years took me to a barcade in north Columbus for some pinball and games.  We went to a Ms. Pac-man and about 8 minutes in to my play, he was like "I mean, I know you are into this stuff but I didn't know you were this good.  Do you think that you'd die before I can grab us another round?"  LOL!  Even with the blue "Tron" concoctions I was drinking I left with the high score.  It wasn't terribly high; I think they must turn off the machines.  I'll take it anyway. 😂

@RickR has it right; its sunrise in Long Beach, CA. Also known as "The LBC."  As in, "atariLBC."  I moved here in my early twenties and it's truly home now.  

Again, thanks everyone and I hope each of you had a merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  

Finally getting my place together. I actually have some furniture now! I got my first peice of art for the place today and I'm stoked on that. I am starting from scratch so I have no one to blame for my horrible taste but myself!

Still on track to my weight loss goal. I hit a number I haven't seen since 2011. 

Oh, and I went on my first date in 15 years.  It's a brave new world in that regard.  

Gaming-wise, my Retrotink came last week, as did my TV stand, so tonight I hooked up an S-video modded 7800, Saturn and Jag to my 49" 4K Samung (NU8000). It is incredible.  The picture is fantastic; much better than I expected with no perceptible lag. I played Darius Gaiden (SAT), Zero 5 (JAG) and b*nQ (7800). For $100, you couldn't ask for more. I'll do some kinda write-up on a dedicated thread when I really have time to dig in. 

The pic is from the ridiculous lionhead knocker on the door of my unit. I'm growing to like it. 

IMG_20190123_180703808.jpg

So the divorce was finalized last month. The last few weeks I've been spending my off hours getting ready to list our house. I haven't lived there for six months and there are some things that need to be addressed before the listing. I'm hoping for a quick sale so that I can close the book on this chapter. Onward and upward! 

Listed the house the other day. The market is crazy here in coastal SoCal so we already have a few offers. This whole process started almost a year ago and the house sale marks it's completion. I have a lot of "feels" as the kids might say but I'm definitely optimistic about what the future holds. Also, I get some time back!  Bring on the gaming!

23 hours ago, atarilbc said:

Listed the house the other day. The market is crazy here in coastal SoCal so we already have a few offers. This whole process started almost a year ago and the house sale marks it's completion. I have a lot of "feels" as the kids might say but I'm definitely optimistic about what the future holds. Also, I get some time back!  Bring on the gaming!

23 hours ago, RickR said:

Selling a house can be very stressful, even without the situation you're in.  Good to get offers quickly.  GOOD LUCK! 

In "real life" I'm involved in the housing and real estate market. This is a big marker in your life in so many ways. Thinking of you and those in your life @atarilbc and wish you the best. We'll be here keeping the TV warmed up when you're ready to dive back in.

The house closed on 7/31. We got 9 offers  in a weekend and ended up selling to a friend.  She wasn't the highest, but she was ballpark and considering this is a divorce sale, we both wanted the house to go to someone we care about.  It was super stressful prepping everything and my ex-wife's move was way more chaotic than it needed to be.  But we made it! 

The house was the last big thing between my ex-wife and I to put a period on the divorce.  We'll always have our daughter but she's (fortunately) grown so with the exception of college graduations, weddings and funerals, I imagine contact will be fairly limited.  15 years is a long time and its amazing to me how much time and energy it takes to unwind the legal entanglement that is marriage.  Its been over a year since everything started unraveling.  It will definitely be a consideration for relationships moving forward.  

I've spent the last year largely on self improvement and work.  I've dropped 50lbs and I'm back to what I call my rock n' roll weight - a number that hasn't been seen since 2004! I've started exercising regularly, cook almost everything, cut back on drinking and limited eating out.  I've also simplified my life and got rid of a lot of "stuff."  I've been playing music with friends again and we rent a "lock-out" studio in an industrial space to practice.  Maybe we'll actually get to a point where we want to gig... 

Anyway, this will probably wrap this whole thread.  I appreciate all of the support from my fellow atari.io forum folks.  This stuff is tough and sharing it has really helped! Thanks to all who commented or sent messages of support.  

To infinity and beyond!

By Grapthar's Hammar...

Live long and prosper.