50 Hz (PAL) To 60 Hz (NTSC) Issue

Hey Atarians!

I need help and I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on a common ST issue.  As some may know, the ST got better software support in the UK.  Their TV standards use a 50 Hertz cycle while here in the USA we use 60 Hertz.  The issue is when a software program, like a game, from the UK is used on a NTSC based ST computer the screen will scroll.  Some CRT and modern TVs can handle both Hertz signals without issues, some can not.  I fall into the latter category.  

What I am trying to accomplish is forcing the computer to switch back to the 60 Hertz setting while loading a UK program.  There are utility programs that boot to the 50 Hertz setting for PAL ST owners so they can play games from the USA.  But i have not been successful in finding a similar utility to do the opposite. I found one utility that supposedly did what I was after but I have not had much luck in using it.  Its called Bootsie and can be found in the link below under the Resources section.  

If anyone here can help figure out how to do this, and share with the rest of us, I would greatly appreciate the knowledge.  I'm hoping that some of our UK members might know something to help as well.  Please help!  Thanks in advance.

RESOURCES

Atari ST Bootsie

I wonder too.  My bundle came with the higher-end color monitor, and I never had any rolling issues with all the software I tried.  However, I sold the monitor because I didn't have space to store it and once I saw the composite signal was pretty good.  But at that point, I didn't use it much before storing the system away. 

Can you provide a game name (and link) that you have the problem on, and I can see if my system does the same thing?

There is a PD version of Galaxian here:

Galaxian

While on the site, if you want to try others, under the search bar on the left, click on Advanced Search.  Once loaded, use the license area and select PD/Freeware/Shareware.  Click on magnifying glass to perform the search.  Most of these games are what I am having issues with.

Hi to all ST Fans in NTSC land. I added a acc. With this, you will get a 50/60Hz switch in the "DESK" menu. But I am not sure if this will help, as "Bootsie" seems to be the better Option for your problem.
At least some games will force the ST to change HZ if it is set to the wrong standard for that game(version) - Rendering any "Switch" useless.
Other games will keep the frequency as it is on Startup.
My game FROGS will Play fine in 50 and 60 HZ ;)

All the best!

5060HZ.ACC

Bootsie is hard to figure out.  As soon as I try to create a boot sector with the switch the disk becomes unusable until I reformat the disk.  Haven't figured it out yet.

What puzzles me is how UK ST owners had a program that would switch the ST back into 50Hz mode on games using 60 Hz.  So I am hoping that a similar program is out there to do the opposite.  It wouldn't make sense not to have that.  Maybe games made on 60 Hz units don't force the ST to change.  Maybe the whole sharing of region-based programs outside of their region of origin wasn't expected so forcing a switch wasn't important.    

I will test out what you supplied.  Are there any instructions on how to use it?

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

Bootsie is hard to figure out.  As soon as I try to create a boot sector with the switch the disk becomes unusable until I reformat the disk.  Haven't figured it out yet.

What puzzles me is how UK ST owners had a program that would switch the ST back into 50Hz mode on games using 60 Hz.  So I am hoping that a similar program is out there to do the opposite.  It wouldn't make sense not to have that.  Maybe games made on 60 Hz units don't force the ST to change.  Maybe the whole sharing of region-based programs outside of their region of origin wasn't expected so forcing a switch wasn't important.    

I will test out what you supplied.  Are there any instructions on how to use it?

I have never used Bootsie… therefor I have no working knowledge about what might be wrong.

For that acc: it is very simple. Just have it in the boot folder. It should add a single menu Point to the "DESK" menu - a simple 50/60Hz switch.
However, this does not realy help, if you have a game that auto-boots from floppy as then you are unable to Access the "DESK" menu. :( You must start the game after the ST has booted and you have re-set the HZ (on a flickering screen ;) ).

Also keep in mind, that a game might force-switch into a desired frequency on startup - what would render this acc-switch useless.

Edited by simoncam

Well I have had much experience I can share.

I use a modern LCD HDTV that's multi-region and multi power ( 110, 220 ) that you can get from 220 Electronics.

Its obviosly does 50/60hz and everything in between . PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.3 and NTSC 3.58. It sees everything that I throw at it from composite from the ST. My TV also has a " autotune " feature that scans for the signal. 

You can get composite out of the ST's if they have the RF modulator, and it will upscale to HDMI. I use a converter made by Cable Matters.

You can get Composite out of an ST WITHOUT  a modulator by putting in a few components where the missing modulator is. Pic #1  unpopulated,  Pic#2 populated. The Mod is by Paranoid Little Man.

There are cheap monitor to composite cables on ebay, and Hercules Workshop may have some as well.

My TV/Upscaler combination has worked for Amiga's as well.

I hope this helps.

Atari ST Video #1.png

Atari ST Video #2 ( populated ).png

Edited by Paul Westphal