Squad Challenge - Beamrider (Intellivision)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Beamrider
Intellivision
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1
Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 14th, 2019

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between January 1st through January 14th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 1.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

Message: Welcome to our 50th Squad Challenge! This is our first Squad Challenge of 2019 and only our second Squad Challenge that we've done so far for Mattel Intellivision! We're kicking off the season with more games for more systems as we set out to make 2019 an exciting year in High Score Squad! This time we're playing Beamrider! An Activision classic for the Mattel Intellivision, and one of the system's best offerings. PDF Beamrider Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Beamrider.pdf

17 minutes ago, Lauren Tyler said:

Alas, I no longer own an actual Intellivision, and I don't know heads or tails about emulators.

That's a shame you won't be able to join us for this Squad Challenge Lauren! But don't worry, we'll have many more Squad Challenges coming up for a broad range of classic consoles. For the past few years we've basically stuck to Atari and Nintendo consoles to maximize participation and make High Score Squad as accessible to as many players as possible. This year we're going to be opening it up to more systems. That means more opportunities to play more games, but also more occasions where someone may not have a game system or emulator to play the game. We'll have another Squad Challenge on the 15th and many more to come, hope you will join us ☺️

If you'd like to nominate a few games that you'd like to see us play in High Score Squad you can share your nominations for 2019 here: 

Just now, Atari Creep said:

Looking like I might be the only one this time. hahahah Might also be the only way I win one of these. :rofl:

At least we'll know the appetite for Intellivision games in Squad Challenge! Let's see if we can get some friendly competition going 💥

Just now, Justin said:

At least we'll know the appetite for Intellivision games in Squad Challenge! Let's see if we can get some friendly competition going 💥

It could also just be this game. Its not as common as many others, I just have happened to snag one a long time ago in part of a trade deal in the (at the time) off chance I pick up a console. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

23,262 (powered by Diet Dr. Pepper from McDonald's)

1506579338_BeamMeUpInty.thumb.jpg.f457005f78b927102a88379b996f17b1.jpg

Wow, things get really crazy at Sector 12! 😱

I played both the 2600 version and this in a single sitting.

Later on, I plan to review them both. (when I play one version of a game, I like to play other versions too if I have them to see how they compare)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

22 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

Later on, I plan to review them both. (when I play one version of a game, I like to play other versions too if I have them to see how they compare)

I would love to see that comparison! Especially in a video from you. That's right up your alley. This game seems like a gem on Intellivision.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, nosweargamer said:

I plan to ply a few more rounds tonight.Hopefullyy I can come close to this score!!!! Amazing job bro!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

On 1/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, nosweargamer said:

I knew diet drinks were good for something other than drinking.  It powered your Intellivision!  I'm never touching diet drinks again.  Which is fine, I don't drink diet drinks anyway.  Wonder if you could power an Atari with that stuff?

I stopped drinking soda entirely about a year ago.  Don't miss it at all.  Unsweet iced tea or water are my main choices now.  If I'm at a McD's that doesn't have tea, I'll to that Sprite/Orange mix that they have, which I think is delicious.  Don't consider me judgy about soda..  I have really bad bones, and soda isn't good for someone like me who is getting up in age.  I have no issue with others enjoying it, and heck I'll have one on some occasions.  It's the phosphoric acid that's bad for bones, and some sodas don't contain that at all. 

14 hours ago, RickR said:

I stopped drinking soda entirely about a year ago.  Don't miss it at all.  Unsweet iced tea or water are my main choices now.  If I'm at a McD's that doesn't have tea, I'll to that Sprite/Orange mix that they have, which I think is delicious.  Don't consider me judgy about soda..  I have really bad bones, and soda isn't good for someone like me who is getting up in age.  I have no issue with others enjoying it, and heck I'll have one on some occasions.  It's the phosphoric acid that's bad for bones, and some sodas don't contain that at all. 

I've done the same thing! I also stopped drinking anything with sugar almost two years ago. I had gotten into a habit of drinking too much of this stuff and I started feeling not-so-great. I was noticing a little numbness in my pinky fingers in bed and my body was telling me that I wasn't eating healthy foods. So I gave it all up. That numbness went away immediately. For a while I had cravings for some of these drinks but after a month they quickly dissipated. I've always looked at soft drinks the way a lot of other people look at beer, I love to taste different drinks and sample what else is out there. When I first built the forums I lived right next to Disney World and spent a lot of time hanging out and going to dinner at EPCOT, I'd always stop into the Coca-Cola pavilion and sample all of the little drinks from around the world. Only twice in the past two years have I granted myself a pass to have a soft drink; once was to taste Faygo Red Pop when we were discussing it in nosweargamer's Faygo review thread here, and this past 4th of July I had an IBC Rootbeer which although I've always loved those, suddenly tasting it after almost 2 years felt like I was drinking a bottle of brown sugar and carbonated syrup. Which I was.

Now I mostly only drink Water and Unsweetened Iced Tea. Sometimes I mix it up. San Pellegrino is a carbonated mineral water that I drink maybe twice a week. (Of course because it's still just water, it's 0 calories, 0g sugar. It's water with a punch.) I used to hate that stuff until my tastes changed, now it's like a little gift I give myself every day. I also like Fiji water. When I buy the big boxes with 6 water jugs at Sam's Club I always buy natural spring water as opposed to filtered water, the natural spring water has natural minerals in the water. I brought this up recently with a friend of mine who is a physician, she told me that in her opinion filtered water was essentially "dead water" as it had filtered all of the benefits out of it, and the minerals in natural spring water were beneficial.

At this point I've entirely changed my diet. I rarely get fast food, I make better choices with food and try to eat less processed foods and make more food myself. I try to swim 50-100 laps a day six days a week, ride my bike, walk, run, lift weights, whatever it takes. It's been good.

This would make an excellent discussion in the Off Topic forum.