Sign in to follow this  
kamakazi20012

Atari 2600 Entered Into Hall of Fame

Check out this entry for the Bowmar calculator:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/the-consumer-electronics-hall-of-fame-bowmar-901b

Another company that went huge, then out of business in just a few years.  There are some roots here for Commodore and TI.  And in hindsight, it's easy to see the mistake they made.  Sourcing parts from other companies but not being able to control those sources was their doom.  I think that's a lesson that Jack Tramiel (of Commodore and then Atari) knew better than anyone else. 

One thing that should also be in this hall of fame is the MOS 6502 processor.  I agree with Justin, the 2600 should have been first on the list, or possibly second after the 6502.

I definitely agree about both 2600 and the 6502.  That 6502 was the most flexible MPU that powered the more common game consoles we all know and enjoy including the NES and Lynx.  And in some disk drives, like the Atari 8-bit line, its smaller brother, the 6507, was used.  Very good processor for its time.

Plus, the 6502 has a CES legend.  The story of MOS filling a barrel with non-functioning chips at CES to "prove" they had chips in stock and ready to sell.  And then essentially saving the company by producing sales in a hotel room at the show.