Keep or sell super valuable games?

Kid A

4 minutes ago, HDN said:

I don't mind flash carts. They're a great way to be able to play rare games or homebrews on original hardware. I'm just saying if I had to pick, I'd pick the physical game over the same game on a flashcart. I don't have that much space right now either, but I also don't have the funds to build up a massive collection like all of you have! Space won't be a problem for a while. Invaders, on the other hand...

I'm not too scared of the batteries on my games going dead. It's an inevitability with those older games. Thankfully my local game store can replace them for only a couple bucks. I'm pretty sure I am going to have to start bringing games in sooner or later. I can tell Super Metroid doesn't have much longer. It's saving fine now but it wiped all three save files of my data before I started replaying it again. Not a big deal really.

I also primarily use my flashcarts for homebrew WIP games as well to check them out and have been known to test those WIP games pretty heavily to help in their development as well. But another good use of the flashcarts that you actually mentioned above was with rare games. Yes, you can get the roms for rare games to play them. But I use that as a means to determine if a rare game is actually a game I want to pursue. Or to play a game I've heard others talk about that I've never played to see if it a game I would like to pick up in physical form someday. So I like to think of flashcarts as a try before I buy option as well.

As for the money and space required to collect? Yeah...it isn't cheap especially when you get to the point that all of the commons have been gotten and now you have to look at the rare stuff. But then again, I've been collecting now for 20 years and now with my 4th house I have one big enough to house my collection mostly to be on display. In the future it definitely will be once my boys have no further use for their rooms. The point is that this wasn't done overnight for most of us and we have what we have from hunting for deals or making connections with others looking to get out of one hobby and go into another or wanting to sell their collection for one system to use towards collecting towards another. And I will say this..

If you are looking at a game and thinking you might want that in the future and you have the means to purchase it now. You should probably do it because I've not seen these getting any cheaper since I've started collecting and they have mostly all gone up in price/value as we all get older.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

7 minutes ago, RickR said:

It's nice to have that store that replaces them for you! 

I should put together a tutorial on how to do it yourself for those that don't have that service locally.  One tip I can offer is that once you get the old battery out (which can be the hardest part), I usually tape the new battery in (with electrical tape) so it's easy to change the next time. 

I actually did a video on how to do this and even show a method of using another battery that you solder in parallel to the original so you can keep the save files while you do the transplant on most games.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

That video is fantastic!  Using a battery holder is a great idea I didn't think of.  Thanks!

Well most battery holders sit too tall and even the one I'm using which, at the time was the lowest profile I could find that fit in the original vias on the board, was still a tad too tall and I had to modify it a bit as you see in the video. There are other holders available now that are SMD but the tabs on them can still be bent so you can solder them to the original tabbed batteries solder points on the board. But as I've a small stockpile of the holders you saw in the video, I've haven't gotten the newer styles myself yet.

16 minutes ago, RickR said:

It's nice to have that store that replaces them for you! 

I should put together a tutorial on how to do it yourself for those that don't have that service locally.  One tip I can offer is that once you get the old battery out (which can be the hardest part), I usually tape the new battery in (with electrical tape) so it's easy to change the next time. 

When I got Wario Land 3 from them, the battery was dead. They tried putting it in the normal way but it was very stubborn. So they used electrical tape like you said. It's very obvious as WL3 is a Game Boy Color only game (not compatible with original GB hardware) and those games came in clear cartridge shells.

image.jpg.a655f998b921b267679ba9e2c4c4ecd3.jpg

12 minutes ago, HDN said:

When I got Wario Land 3 from them, the battery was dead. They tried putting it in the normal way but it was very stubborn. So they used electrical tape like you said. It's very obvious as WL3 is a Game Boy Color only game (not compatible with original GB hardware) and those games came in clear cartridge shells.

image.jpg.a655f998b921b267679ba9e2c4c4ecd3.jpg

Yeah GB games that use batteries just need to be done using a replacement pre-tabbed battery. They can be purchased in bulk for decent prices if you do a lot of them. But I would likely go to my local retro shop around the corner and have them hook me up if I needed it done on my portable games. As they also do battery replacements in games and consoles along with repairs (Accept for the ones they hand to me to do LOL!).

Coming back around to this post now after awhile, and now I do have a pretty valuable game, that was gifted to me by a good friend I know from theater. A game I'd been wanting to play for years, too, because it's one of the best games on the Gamecube, and for that reason, as well as being gifted from a good friend, there's no reason I'll part from it. 

Sentimental value trumps money any day.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.