Squad Challenge - Devil’s Crush (TG16) Dragon’s Fury (Genesis) Double Feature!

Justin

9 hours ago, Justin said:

New personal best:

Thanks to @Atari Creep for coming out to the livestream on Instagram tonight and watching me play for a while. We've been doing that a lot lately and it's been fun!

Heads up about this score: You can do it too! You may have noticed playing this game you can hit things that award you "Special Points". When I was playing the game tonight, something interesting happened when my pinball hit the left side of the screen. I think it was on the 2nd board, the middle one. I hit something or did something on the left, and the game awarded me 100,000,000 specialty points. This was, for the most part, one of my better-than-average games, plus the bonus award. If that bonus award exists, others must exist too. Let's keep playing and see what we can come up with!

IMG_1799.JPG

Hey Justin, I was watching you last night, and I have a quick question.  I noticed that when you do badly on ball #1, you quickly restart the game and try again.  How do you do that?  It may just be that I'm missing a button on emulation. 

20 minutes ago, RickR said:

Hey Justin, I was watching you last night, and I have a quick question.  I noticed that when you do badly on ball #1, you quickly restart the game and try again.  How do you do that?  It may just be that I'm missing a button on emulation. 

🙌 GREAT question Rick! That's one of the little unique features about the TurboGrafx-16 game systems that give them a bit of character and it's part of my strategy for attaining a high score without saves.

On TurboGrafx-16 "Reset" is pressing Run and Select at the same time. Did you notice your new TurboGrafx-16 doesn't have a "Reset" button on the system? That's because the way TurboGrafx does the reset function is through the controller. Atari Jaguar is very similar.

Why and when do I reset the game as part of my strategy? Devil's Crush has save and continue states, which we are not using for this Squad Challenge. If I lose out on my first ball early in the game, I reset and start over from the beginning. Continuing the rest of the game down one life is disadvantageous when I can start over and easily catch up to where I was. I feel like the ball can have a tendency to drop straight down the sides or down the middle where your paddles can't reach, especially towards the beginning. Especially at the beginning. It's almost as if once you warm up and get a score going, you put some english on the ball and it becomes more powerful and less likely to do that. When it drops straight down like that without my having any ability to hit the ball I reset and start over from the beginning so that I don't waste a life.

Why is the reset so fast? Once you reset Devil's Crush it's just a matter of pressing the button a few times to start a new game. Do it enough and you get quick at it out of force of habit.

PS - THANKS FOR WATCHING last night! I didn't see you enter the room or I would've said hi! It's hard to look down at the phone and keep up with the conversation and play a game at the same time. I'll be live-streaming again today probably, hope to see you there.

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

Cool!  Thank you.  I'm the master at fudging ball #1, this will really help.  I'll see if MESS allows this button combo to work.  Frankly, I'm getting tired of that skeleton face laughing at me.  :)  

You're welcome! I think you'll find the reset to be a cool little feature once you get your TurboGrafx-16 all set up. It's one of those party tricks that I thought was so neat back when it was new. It was like entering a cheat code to reset remotely.

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

🙌 .

PS - THANKS FOR WATCHING last night! I didn't see you enter the room or I would've said hi! It's hard to look down at the phone and keep up with the conversation and play a game at the same time. I'll be live-streaming again today probably, hope to see you there.

No worries at all.  I had one eye on you and the other on my beloved Portland Trail Blazers finally taking down the dreaded Utah Jazz.  So I was silent running. 

It's amazing when you look at the size of the Japanese PC Engine systems in comparison to the TurboGrafx-16. I love the TurboGrafx-16 and feel so fortunate that I grew up appreciating this little console. But when I look at how small the PC Engine is I see a huge missed opportunity. I can't imagine how incredibly advanced that would've looked at the time. Can you imagine walking into Toys 'R' Us, going up to that glass case and seeing one of these small, sharp, cutting edge consoles staring back at you? That's such a ninja move, huge power in a little punch. Give me this, but in "TurboGrafx-16 black":

system.jpg

003_20130817_172224_tg16_pce_ctrl_adtr_640h.jpg

PC Engine has an expansion slot too! PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 both connect to basically the same CD system. There's really would've been no functional downside to marketing the smaller PC Engine design in the US. It would have been so small and sleek and high tech.

The first time I ever got to play a TurboGrafx-16 or see one in person was at a Brookstone or Sharper Image type of store. I was there on a Saturday and they had a table set up with a few TurboGrafx-16 consoles and monitors along each side of the table. There must've been at least six systems running. That left me with the impression that it's an advanced high-tech system. I can't imagine how out of this world it would've been to see something that was a generational leap past the NES churning out this kind of gameplay on a tiny console the size of two NES cartridges stacked on top of each other. That's just so cool to me.

14 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

My personal PCE favorite look is the dark gray (or is it black?) Core II with the orange colored text.  But, I agree, mod one with the TG-16 Logo on it.  Priceless!

Same here! I like the CD add-on drive too! Have you seen the PC Engine LT? That's another gem we never got over here.

OK...that's neat!!  I'm guessing built in TV tuner, too?  It has an aerial.  I'm thinking I have seen those in a Lukemorse video on trips to Hard Off stores.  One of those was sitting in a glass display case.  Even then it was rare which I believe was about 2014 maybe.  Will have to watch those vids again.  I'm enjoying the new experience...but I'm picky and wish it was on real hardware.  I had to reverse the controller keys.  Keys on left side of keyboard worked the right paddle and vice versa.  And the TG-16 controllers are very comfortable.

4 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Is it me or do most of the TG controllers look like NES controllers? 

In 1987 "Two buttons and a D-Pad" was the new standard. Sat right in there with NES, Sega Master System and Atari 7800 Control Pad. PC Engine and TurboGrafx innovated by adding turbo fire switches as standard on their stock controllers, hence the "Turbo". When they first came out I thought they looked kind of weird, but I love them now. However by the time Super Nintendo was out they could've stepped their controller up a bit with a few more buttons standard, at least for the Duo. Avenue Pad 3 and Avenue Pad 6 were popular aftermarket controllers that had 3 and 6 buttons for some of the more intense games.

Retroblog - Avenue Pad 6 #3.jpg

napd1001front.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 1:50 AM, Justin said:

New personal best:

Thanks to @Atari Creep for coming out to the livestream on Instagram tonight and watching me play for a while. We've been doing that a lot lately and it's been fun!

Heads up about this score: You can do it too! You may have noticed playing this game you can hit things that award you "Special Points". When I was playing the game tonight, something interesting happened when my pinball hit the left side of the screen. I think it was on the 2nd board, the middle one. I hit something or did something on the left, and the game awarded me 100,000,000 specialty points. This was, for the most part, one of my better-than-average games, plus the bonus award. If that bonus award exists, others must exist too. Let's keep playing and see what we can come up with!

IMG_1799.JPG

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Wahoo!  Guess what came in the mail today?  A Genesis everdrive.  And it even plays SMS games.

Anyways, are you keeping separate scores for Genesis vs. TG-16 versions of this game?  Here's my first try at the Genesis game.  8566000.  Both versions are fun, but the TG-16 one looks and sounds better IMO. 

genesis 001.JPG

genesis 002.JPG