Squad Challenge - Buggy Boy (Atari ST)

Justin

I want to point out how thrilled I am to see that we have FOUR active members submitting scores in this Squad Challenge! I thought participation might be half that, without bringing in new members from the outside world. I wasn't so sure how our first Atari ST Squad Challenge would go but participation has been strong enough to warrant more Atari ST challenges in the future. I'll join in too once I get a decent ST set up!

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

I've tried to get new people involved via the Atari ST Facebook group with a couple of posts.

THANK YOU @RickR! Our community has seen an uptick in growth ever since our recent site upgrade. Going into the outside world and inviting people to join us is super helpful.

4 minutes ago, RickR said:

But I probably should have tried earlier.

Me too. There will be more opportunities for this. 👍

Decent ST setup?  A standard 520 can do a LOT.  The only thing to watch out for are ST games that state they are for STe only.  But for the most part it was mandatory that most ST programs were to work on the 520.  I'd recommend an STFM because 1):  floppy drive and power supply are built in, no bricks, 2): They offer RF TV out, standard STs don't.

It's nice to see a high score challenge for the ST.  It's easy to see all kinds of high scores for other Atari consoles...the STs don't seem to get as much attention.  As to why is beyond me.  No they are not as readily available as the A8s but they are solid systems with some good games here and there.  I do know that most of the games I have tried left a lot to be desired or just felt and played weird.  Then again it was a time when shareware was born and anyone with the tools and know how was attempting to make games.  Some good, some not so good.  I would have loved to see the likes of Apogee, ID, and Epic make games for the ST.  Could you imagine Doom on the ST?  How about Zone 66 which was a pain to get working on a decent PC setup because of its conventional memory requirements.  

STs are nice no matter which model you have.  Easy to use but like an Apple on the price point. 

52 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I'd recommend an STFM because 1):  floppy drive and power supply are built in, no bricks, 2): They offer RF TV out, standard STs don't.

Absolutely! It will be a 520 STFM refurbished through Lance at @Video 61. It's only been on my Atari shopping list for 17 years. I'll need to get some good games.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations spkr!

Congratulations @spkr on an excellent score! Buggy Boy was our first Atari ST Squad Challenge, and I was even less certain about having a good turnout for this first ST game as I was for our first Game Boy game. It was great to have all of you jump in this challenge, and to welcome new member spkr to the forums! spkr won the High Score Squad Challenge on his very first post to the forums with a high score of 94,240. @RadioPoultry brought his A-Game with 88,680 points, and @kamakazi20012 was right on his tail with 84,740. @Kid A checked in with 80,540 and @RickR rounds things out with a score of 66,800 points on his gorgeous customized Atari 520 STFM setup. Great showing guys! Congrats to everyone who played! I'd like to welcome spkr to the Atari I/O Forums and encourage spkr to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on! 

Our next Squad Challenge will be taking us back to the Atari 2600. We're going to be celebrating a new take on an old classic. See you there!

BUGGY BOY FINAL STANDINGS

1   SPKR                                 94,240

2   RADIO POULTRY             88,680

3   KAMAKAZI20012           84,740

4   KID A                                 80,540

5   RICKR                                66,800

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif