Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom LIVE! Atari System 1

btbfilms76

Marble Madness, Road Runner, Peter Packrat, Road Blasters and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom all were Atari System 1 cabinet games.  

Which one was your favorite?  

Another Live! Arcade play from your old pal BTB

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Love my Road Blasters cabinet, but wouldn’t mind another just to switch out Indiana and Marble Madness.  

Such great memories with this game, from the music, to the digitized speech, and the chance to be Indy... wow.

A56466C4-8C3E-4B6A-9DDC-687491E903D0.jpeg

2E1E7314-A233-4E16-B4F3-3D87AB3848EE.jpeg

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

2 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

Marble Madness, Road Runner, Peter Packrat, Road Blasters and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom all were Atari System 1 cabinet games.  

Which one was your favorite?  

It's easy to say RoadBlasters is hands down my favorite Atari System 1 game, if not my favorite arcade game of all time. It's moving beyond that that's hard. Marble Madness is an absolute classic. I've spent hours in the arcade playing Marble Madness on the Atari System 1. It was one of those NES games that should've been on the 7800 of course. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is another great game from that time period where we were transitioning from classic arcade games into NES-style adventure games. Marble Madness and Indiana Jones would have to duke it out for the #2 spot on my list. I've never gotten Peter Pack Rat but I've always wanted to. In my mind I thought of it as being like Mappy but it's pretty different.

3 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

Love my Road Blasters cabinet, but wouldn’t mind another just to switch out Indiana and Marble Madness.  

Such great memories with this game, from the music, to the digitized speech, and the chance to be Indy... wow.

I'm thinking the same thing!

I was just watching some of the video and Atari really just built a great name for themselves back in the early 80s... It's too bad they never consolized the "Atari System 1"; at one time I use to think that the 7800 was Atari attempt to bring arcade games like Road Blaster and Indiana Jones to the household until I researched the history. I would love to home-brew for the Atari System 1 and did some search on the hardware, but it looks like some has already manage to pull off something on the old arcade hardware.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:26 PM, ptw-ace said:

I was just watching some of the video and Atari really just built a great name for themselves back in the early 80s... It's too bad they never consolized the "Atari System 1"; at one time I use to think that the 7800 was Atari attempt to bring arcade games like Road Blaster and Indiana Jones to the household until I researched the history. I would love to home-brew for the Atari System 1 and did some search on the hardware, but it looks like some has already manage to pull off something on the old arcade hardware.

GCC were responsible for the amazing arcade games on the 7800.  If things would have worked out - the big IF, the 7800 would have came to market in 1984.  The arcade titles on the 7800, like Food Fight, Ms. Pac Man, Dig Dug would have blown anything out of the water back then.  I pictured it like this - Remember when we had our NES at home, then the Neo Geo home system showed up and you could actually play arcade perfect games in your living room... If the 7800 came out in 84, thats what it would have been like.  Atari’s Arcade division came out with some of the best arcade experiences of my life time, I loved playing them back in the day, and love playing them now.  

1 hour ago, btbfilms76 said:

I pictured it like this - Remember when we had our NES at home, then the Neo Geo home system showed up and you could actually play arcade perfect games in your living room... If the 7800 came out in 84, thats what it would have been like.  Atari’s Arcade division came out with some of the best arcade experiences of my life time, I loved playing them back in the day, and love playing them now.  

It's funny you phrased it that way. I always thought the same thing. In the mid-80s, (certainly before I had seen the NES) I always saw the Atari 7800 as a robust, industrial strenth arcade machine, the same way we saw the Neo-Geo Gold a few years later. The 7800 was released in 1984 in some markets. Had Warner held on a few more months (even if they ended up "loaning" the company to Jack) the 7800 would've seen national distribution and perceptions would be different. That two year gap cost them big time.

What's more is Atari's loss of the Lorraine chipset from Amiga, which Atari had licensed for a new video game system. Imagine Amiga-like graphics on a home video game system from Atari in 1986. That TRULY would have been an arcade-quality console and would have been a 16-Bit console on the market 5 years before SNES reached US shores.

Yea I use to compare the NES hardware with the 7800 later as I find out more info on the 7800 specs and wonder how Atari dropped the ball, but looking back, they just lost so much money they didn't really care too much for the gamer liked they should (IE WarnerBrothers) and saw a great product that could sell like slice bread considering how well the 2600 did. Even looking at the Atari 5200, which was basically the Atari 800 computer; even with the graphic chip the way it was, it still had way more leverage over the NES due to the amount of RAM the system was packing. Nintendo just had a better formula for making home games versus the shovel-ware the 2600 was getting... It was just so much hype, I guess because it was so much money in the air back in those days they just lost sight of things and let precious opportunities slip through their fingers. Didn't mean to rant on like that, but when I think of the "Atari System 1", I always think of the Atari 7800, which was out around the same year 1984... It was also the year I was in first grade remembering all of the Atari hype that was previously around before the NES debut so... lol 🤣 It's great memories for me as well.

Roadblasters, Indy TOD, and Marble Madness are all classics.  I've never heard of Peter Packrat.  Maybe I should look that one up on MAME!

I remember whipping those Thugee guards (Indy) in college late at night after studies were done.  Our student center had Indy, and we gave it a pretty good workout.

That's Shane Breaks.  He also appeared in the Paperboy flyer :)  He started at Atari in 1979 and eventually became Senior VP of Sales before retiring in 1991.  He passed away in 2016 at the age of 75.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/06/column_replay_atari_talks_gaun.php

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/RePlay-eNews--AVS-Buys-Lieberman-Distribution--Shane-Breaks-Passes-Away-at-Age-75.html?soid=1102037583727&aid=u89VY6V-h0Q

11012301.jpg

breaks0.jpg

Edited by Scott Stilphen

8 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I played tons of this game when I was in college!  They had this machine in the student lounge and it was great!

OMG, same here at my college student center!  Those lousy Thuggie Guards took a lot of my quarters.  The nearby 7-11 had Double Dragon, and that one (with a Slurpie) was another favorite.