What Movies Do You Associate Most With Atari?

Justin

What movies do you associate most with Atari? For me it's the obvious. Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Cloak & Dagger, Krull, and The Last Starfighter. Of course there's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Batman Returns on Lynx. But most of all, it will always be Superman. How about you? What movies remind you most of fond memories of Atari?

8 minutes ago, RickR said:

Bladerunner  

That's a great one! Atari Industrial Designer Regan Cheng has always cited Blade Runner and Syd Mead's work on Blade Runner in particular as a big influence on Atari's product design. And who can forget seeing the Atari Fuji pop up in Blade Runner? Hard to believe that's supposed to be this year.

Another movie I always associate with Atari, although indirectly, is Poltergeist. There's an Atari 2600 on top of the TV set that Carol Anne is drawn to. Also Poltergeist feels so connected to E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, it's almost as if they exist in the same universe. For me, anything to do with E.T. has always been a reminder of Atari. They were both filmed around the same time, in the same area featuring similar houses, and both were Spielberg films. Poltergeist was directed by Tobe Hooper, but it's long been thought that Spielberg "directed Poltergeist through Tobe Hooper".

A clause in his contract with Universal Studios prevented Spielberg from directing any other film while preparing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Time and Newsweek tagged the summer of 1982 "The Spielberg Summer" because E.T. and Poltergeist were released a week apart in June. Suggestions that Spielberg had greater directorial influence than the credits suggest were aided by his comments: "Tobe isn't ... a take-charge sort of guy. If a question was asked and an answer wasn't immediately forthcoming, I'd jump in and say what we could do. Tobe would nod agreement, and that became the process of collaboration." The Directors Guild of America "opened an investigation into the question of whether or not Hooper's official credit was being denigrated by statements Spielberg has made, apparently claiming authorship." Co-producer Frank Marshall told the Los Angeles Times that "the creative force of the movie was Steven. Tobe was the director and was on the set every day. But Steven did the design for every storyboard and he was on the set every day except for three days when he was in Hawaii with Lucas."

file0153.jpg

thumbnailImage.png

How about TV shows? As a 7800 owner, I noticed the 7800 being played in My Two Dads and being sold in a store in Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

As far as movies go, growing up it would have to be Krull. I owned the game before I knew the film existed.

Nowadays I'd go with Cloak & Dagger. It's basically the Atari version of The Wizard.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

What, no mention of Futurama or the Simpsons ?!?

The Simpsons - Homer goes to college; when Homer enters the room of his comrades, they say "Intruder alert, intruder alert!"; when he later leaves the room they say "Humanoid must not escape" - this is the sampled speech of Atari's 8Bit computer version of Berzerk (not officially released, but available as a prototype cart and as file versions); hopefully these speech gags are not only in the german synchronization: "Eindringlingsalarm! Eindringlingsalarm!" and "Der Humanoid darf nicht entkommen!"...

Futurama -  Anthology of Interest part 2; Fry wants to know "what if life were a videogame?"; suddenly Space Invaders are attacking planet earth, Fry enters the MilAtari headquarters, a pacman maze, and much much more...

Police Quest and Police Quest 2 with Chackie Chan, you see an Atari 800 computer.

Also some imdb entries: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=atari

The Atari Times (down for maintenance!) page 1:  http://www.ataritimes.com/article.php?showarticle=70

The Atari Times (down for maintenance!) page 2: http://www.ataritimes.com/article.php?showarticle=71

So I was watching a cheesy horror flick Monster Shark (1984), hey it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed version so that's my excuse 😉 when about 10 minutes in I spot a character playing, or pretending to play an Atari 2600 game. Pretty sure it's Activision SeaQuest. Anyways, just thought that was cool, I know there were obvious and well known examples of 2600 games appearing in shows/movies but this one caught me off guard and I thought might be more obscure. 🕹🎬🎥🎞

vlcsnap-2020-03-09-01h59m29s016.thumb.jpg.243046ab6e59b702cb405b43946630fc.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

7 hours ago, RickR said:

And it sure seems like 2600 Pac Man and Donkey Kong sounds are used as standard video game sound effects on many TV shows.  Even if the actors are playing a handheld or more modern system, they still use those sound effects!

I know I heard it a few times I think on Family Matters and/or one of the later Cosby Show episodes.  I distinctly remember seeing them holding an NES controller but hearing 2600 Pac-Man in the background.  There's no mistaking the sounds of 2600 Pac-Man.  Or 2600 Donkey Kong either.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, TrekMD said:

Wall*E had an Atari 2600 show up too!

YYtuLnJ.gif?noredirect

You know...that makes perfect sense.  A world where everything we knew stops existing.  No internet, no digital games, which means if any modern consoles are found they are not going to want to work because they depend so much on an internet connection, mostly to verify ownership or rights to use the games they hold.  With a 2600, if you can find everything you need the damn thing may still work.  The 2600 is like the cockroach of Atari...it's built like a tank and would most likely survive most extreme catastrophic events.  I've seen some 2600s in the wild decades ago that should not have worked but the things fired right up.  But...8,000 points?!?  I know who NOT to play against.

14 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

So I was watching a cheesy horror flick Monster Shark (1984), hey it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed version so that's my excuse 😉 when about 10 minutes in I spot a character playing, or pretending to play an Atari 2600 game. Pretty sure it's Activision SeaQuest. Anyways, just thought that was cool, I know there were obvious and well known examples of 2600 games appearing in shows/movies but this one caught me off guard and I thought might be more obscure. 🕹🎬🎥🎞

vlcsnap-2020-03-09-01h59m29s016.thumb.jpg.243046ab6e59b702cb405b43946630fc.jpg

It looks like Seaquest to me. It is definitely an ActiVision game. That's for sure.

4 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

It looks like Seaquest to me. It is definitely an ActiVision game. That's for sure.

That's Seaquest.  And I just now noticed the "Vader" unit on the right of the girl.  I also wonder what tape she's suppose to be listening to in that cassette player?  I should have a cassette player close to that here somewhere I repaired.  Was the environment suppose to be a repair shop, science lab, or Radio Shack?