Jump to content
Justin

What Movies Do You Associate Most With Atari?

Recommended Posts

What movies do you associate most with Atari? For me it's the obvious. Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Cloak & Dagger, Krull, and The Last Starfighter. Of course there's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Batman Returns on Lynx. But most of all, it will always be Superman. How about you? What movies remind you most of fond memories of Atari?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RickR said:

Bladerunner  

That's a great one! Atari Industrial Designer Regan Cheng has always cited Blade Runner and Syd Mead's work on Blade Runner in particular as a big influence on Atari's product design. And who can forget seeing the Atari Fuji pop up in Blade Runner? Hard to believe that's supposed to be this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another movie I always associate with Atari, although indirectly, is Poltergeist. There's an Atari 2600 on top of the TV set that Carol Anne is drawn to. Also Poltergeist feels so connected to E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, it's almost as if they exist in the same universe. For me, anything to do with E.T. has always been a reminder of Atari. They were both filmed around the same time, in the same area featuring similar houses, and both were Spielberg films. Poltergeist was directed by Tobe Hooper, but it's long been thought that Spielberg "directed Poltergeist through Tobe Hooper".

A clause in his contract with Universal Studios prevented Spielberg from directing any other film while preparing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Time and Newsweek tagged the summer of 1982 "The Spielberg Summer" because E.T. and Poltergeist were released a week apart in June. Suggestions that Spielberg had greater directorial influence than the credits suggest were aided by his comments: "Tobe isn't ... a take-charge sort of guy. If a question was asked and an answer wasn't immediately forthcoming, I'd jump in and say what we could do. Tobe would nod agreement, and that became the process of collaboration." The Directors Guild of America "opened an investigation into the question of whether or not Hooper's official credit was being denigrated by statements Spielberg has made, apparently claiming authorship." Co-producer Frank Marshall told the Los Angeles Times that "the creative force of the movie was Steven. Tobe was the director and was on the set every day. But Steven did the design for every storyboard and he was on the set every day except for three days when he was in Hawaii with Lucas."

 

file0153.jpg

thumbnailImage.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about TV shows? As a 7800 owner, I noticed the 7800 being played in My Two Dads and being sold in a store in Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

As far as movies go, growing up it would have to be Krull. I owned the game before I knew the film existed.

Nowadays I'd go with Cloak & Dagger. It's basically the Atari version of The Wizard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was watching a cheesy horror flick Monster Shark (1984), hey it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed version so that's my excuse 😉 when about 10 minutes in I spot a character playing, or pretending to play an Atari 2600 game. Pretty sure it's Activision SeaQuest. Anyways, just thought that was cool, I know there were obvious and well known examples of 2600 games appearing in shows/movies but this one caught me off guard and I thought might be more obscure. 🕹🎬🎥🎞

vlcsnap-2020-03-09-01h59m29s016.thumb.jpg.243046ab6e59b702cb405b43946630fc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it sure seems like 2600 Pac Man and Donkey Kong sounds are used as standard video game sound effects on many TV shows.  Even if the actors are playing a handheld or more modern system, they still use those sound effects!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickR said:

And it sure seems like 2600 Pac Man and Donkey Kong sounds are used as standard video game sound effects on many TV shows.  Even if the actors are playing a handheld or more modern system, they still use those sound effects!

 

I have heard that on different TV shows, including cartoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I have heard that on different TV shows, including cartoons.

I've been hearing these sounds used a lot lately on the SiriusXM channel '80s on 8, along with BurgerTime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RickR said:

And it sure seems like 2600 Pac Man and Donkey Kong sounds are used as standard video game sound effects on many TV shows.  Even if the actors are playing a handheld or more modern system, they still use those sound effects!

 

I know I heard it a few times I think on Family Matters and/or one of the later Cosby Show episodes.  I distinctly remember seeing them holding an NES controller but hearing 2600 Pac-Man in the background.  There's no mistaking the sounds of 2600 Pac-Man.  Or 2600 Donkey Kong either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, TrekMD said:

Wall*E had an Atari 2600 show up too!

YYtuLnJ.gif?noredirect

You know...that makes perfect sense.  A world where everything we knew stops existing.  No internet, no digital games, which means if any modern consoles are found they are not going to want to work because they depend so much on an internet connection, mostly to verify ownership or rights to use the games they hold.  With a 2600, if you can find everything you need the damn thing may still work.  The 2600 is like the cockroach of Atari...it's built like a tank and would most likely survive most extreme catastrophic events.  I've seen some 2600s in the wild decades ago that should not have worked but the things fired right up.  But...8,000 points?!?  I know who NOT to play against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

So I was watching a cheesy horror flick Monster Shark (1984), hey it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed version so that's my excuse 😉 when about 10 minutes in I spot a character playing, or pretending to play an Atari 2600 game. Pretty sure it's Activision SeaQuest. Anyways, just thought that was cool, I know there were obvious and well known examples of 2600 games appearing in shows/movies but this one caught me off guard and I thought might be more obscure. 🕹🎬🎥🎞

vlcsnap-2020-03-09-01h59m29s016.thumb.jpg.243046ab6e59b702cb405b43946630fc.jpg

It looks like Seaquest to me. It is definitely an ActiVision game. That's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

It looks like Seaquest to me. It is definitely an ActiVision game. That's for sure.

That's Seaquest.  And I just now noticed the "Vader" unit on the right of the girl.  I also wonder what tape she's suppose to be listening to in that cassette player?  I should have a cassette player close to that here somewhere I repaired.  Was the environment suppose to be a repair shop, science lab, or Radio Shack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

That's Seaquest.  And I just now noticed the "Vader" unit on the right of the girl.  I also wonder what tape she's suppose to be listening to in that cassette player?  I should have a cassette player close to that here somewhere I repaired.  Was the environment suppose to be a repair shop, science lab, or Radio Shack?

From the dialogue I was getting that the guy owned some kind of electronics shop, this was the back where they did repairs I think, he refereed to it as his shop as he was leaving her in charge while he was gone. Here is another grab I did. 

2.thumb.jpg.7eb14ebbc39a6626053e2d4b5adeb310.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...