Squad Challenge - Night Stalker (Intellivision)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Night Stalker
Intellivision
Controller: CONTROLLER / MULTIPLE CONTROLLERS / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game Speed 3 (Button 1)
SINGLE LIFE: Achieve high score using only one life to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 14th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 1st through May 14th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. The use of multiple controllers is allowed in this challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Speed 3, Single Life Run. Speed 3 is the next-to-fastest play speed for this game. Please take note that Speed 3 on the Overlay is actually BUTTON 1 on the Controller itself. It's weird and confusing that they would do this, especially given how often players lost their overlays.

SINGLE LIFE RUN: You are only allowed ONE LIFE to achieve your high score in this Squad Challenge.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 58th Squad Challenge! This will be our third Squad Challenge for the Mattel Intellivision and for one of the system's pillar titles: Night Stalker! This is a SINGLE LIFE RUN Challenge, and you are only allowed ONE LIFE to achieve your high score in this Squad Challenge. ROM, Instruction Manual and Controller Overlay are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a special one-day event challenge coming up this Saturday, May the Fourth. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Night Stalker.pdf Overlay - Night Stalker.pdf Night Stalker.bin

Great video @Atari Creep! Interesting approach to the challenge, playing through emulation rather than real hardware because of the difficulty with the Intellivision controller. I agree that Mattel should've made the man fire in whatever direction he was facing with the fire button like a normal game would, as opposed to having to press one of the phone pad buttons on the controller to fire in a particular direction. That's overly complicated.

1 hour ago, RadioPoultry said:

16,200, using my Intellivision II. The controls really do leave a lot to be desired.

Hearing a lot of people say that. You guys are welcome to use whatever controller configuration you wish. Hope you're all able to enjoy this Intellivision classic! It's no coincidence that Intellivision, ColecoVision and Atari 5200 all had cumbersome controllers and they were the last gaming generation before the big crash. Good luck everybody!

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

This is a game in which the best controller scheme is to use TWO controllers.  One for direction, the other for firing.  One in each hand.  I will give it a go soon. 

That's how I would do it!

I broke out my Intellivision Flashback console for this one. It hasn't seen a lot of play because I'm not a big Intellivision fan. Trying the two controller approach suggested by @RickR. This could be fun with a dual stick controller but with the disk on one hand and the buttons on the other, it's not a lot of fun. Maybe if you could use just the disks - something akin to dual stick Robotron - it would fare better. 

5,600 to get on the board. 

IMG_20190503_082243590.jpg

Edited by atarilbc

13 hours ago, RickR said:

This is a game in which the best controller scheme is to use TWO controllers.  One for direction, the other for firing.  One in each hand.  I will give it a go soon. 

I'm still going to jam on OG hardware using this method sometime during this challenge. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

So much drama in this squad challenge !!!

91Wlg8i6+uL.jpg

I was able to pin down the lady robot in the killing-zone a couple times. controller error took me out.

I'm using real hardware, single controller. don't know how to hang on to 2 controllers and seems the layout is the same for both controllers

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.d39a4ab5ea0e137637d3f42e11bffdf3.JPG

2 hours ago, chas10e said:

I'm using real hardware, single controller. don't know how to hang on to 2 controllers and seems the layout is the same for both controllers

Layout is the same, but with one controller, you can't move and shoot at the same time. So for the 2 controller setup, you move the disc one one controller with one hand and shoot with the keypad with the other.

That, or you can play the game on one of the collections for modern systems. I'm going to try to find my copy of Intellivsion Lives for the DS.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

After posting the last score I continued to get a feel of the advanced levels of robots.

Thanks @nosweargamer for the tip on the benefits of 2 controllers.

Another question , getting poisoned by a bat or a spider ISN'T considered a death is it ? The manual says  just a temporary illness

IMG_1811.thumb.JPG.b58b22a3036ac3717cef5084fde29637.JPG

Edited by chas10e

Hope I wasn't sounding too negative... I am enjoying the game, I'm just not used to the controllers and how they function. I tried the two-controller method and it worked pretty well at first, but my controllers aren't in the best condition, and  i eventually found the odds that my guy would move and shoot erratically increased a lot. I went back to using one controller for this score.

20190505_144047.thumb.jpg.07b8355a699f9baf609d19e8d2a0b44b.jpg

Edited by RadioPoultry

22 hours ago, RickR said:

Whoops!  Single life only.  No score yet then.

I'm playing on "Intellivision Lives!" for Gamecube.  The controls suck here too.  You still have to stop before you can shoot.  And you have to listen to the gawdawful music. 

Yeah I'm playing single controller, you get used-to stopping then shooting. (or more like trying to shoot an enemy while on the run & dying 💀 )

5900 is my score with one guy. 

I'm playing the DS version of Intellivision Lives.  This is a good version.  Although you still have to stop moving to shoot, the buttons make it easy to shoot in the direction you want.  And there is no "My Intellivision" horrible music.  And I believe you choose speed #3 by pushing the left gun on the touch screen. 

night stalker 003.JPG