Squad Challenge - Blue Lightning (Atari Lynx)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Blue Lightning
Atari Lynx
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default - Start with 1st Mission / AAAA Code
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 14th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 1st through June 14th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Default. Press A button to play. Start with 1st Mission, accepting the AAAA code.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 61st Squad Challenge! This will be our second Squad Challenge for the Atari Lynx and for one of the system's pillar titles: Blue Lightning! This is one of the top games for the Atari Lynx when it was new. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: We have a really cool Summer Event coming up soon! PLUS an NES Squad Challenge. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Blue Lightning.lnxBlue Lightning.pdf

@Atari Creep , Blue Lightning is more of an arcade style flight game than a flight sim.  Think Afterburner (arcade) or Top Gun (NES). It is a decent handheld game and a very good early Lynx game. 

Blue Lightning was so well regarded that Atari remade the game six years later on the Jaguar CD. I actually really like that version but it has mixed reviews.  

I hope you enjoy Blue Lightning on the Lynx and post some impressions in a video! 

Edited by atarilbc

On 6/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, atarilbc said:

@Atari Creep , Blue Lightning is more of an arcade style flight game than a flight sim.  Think Afterburner (arcade) or Top Gun (NES). It is a decent handheld game and a very good early Lynx game. 

Blue Lightning was so well regarded that Atari remade the game six years later on the Jaguar CD. I actually really like that version but it has mixed reviews.  

I hope you enjoy Blue Lightning on the Lynx and post some impressions in a video! 

Oh I know just what it is bud. This is going to be a tough one for me anyway. LOL 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Also, if anyone else happens to have the Jaguar CD version, you might be interested in comparing and contrasting the two. 

The Lynx version is generally held up to be superior but the Jaguar remake definitely adds a lot of depth, features and variety to the original template. Not to mention a shredding metal soundtrack! 

IMG_20190603_210926092.jpg

IMG_20190603_214814892.jpg

12 hours ago, atarilbc said:

128,400. What is with the dogfight at the end of the third mission? I felt like it went on forever.

IMG_20190605_212524324.jpg

At the end of the third mission, focus on the targets on the ground, sometimes on the train tracks. You can't complete it until you hit enough ground targets. It's doesn't matter how many planes you hit.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

5 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

At the end of the third mission, focus on the targets on the ground, sometimes on the train tracks. You can't complete it until you hit enough ground targets. It's doesn't matter how many planes you hit.

Thanks for this tip, I am un-good at dog fight style games. Any help, um helps. lol

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!