Squad Challenge - Space Invaders (Atari 2600)

Justin

Summer_Pizza_Festival_2019.jpg

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Space Invaders
Atari 2600
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 4, Difficulty B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 23rd, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 21st through June 23rd, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Game 4, Difficulty B. This game setting provides for a Smaller Cannon, Moving Shields and Zigzagging Laser Bombs.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 1st Annual Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party! 🍕🍺🕹️ To celebrate Summer we're playing some of the pillar games on our favorite game systems, all weekend long! It's okay if you don't set a new world record, we're just having fun together and sharing scores. You can pick and choose which Squad Challenges to participate in this weekend, you can partake in one and leave the rest, or participate in all of them! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our regularly scheduled High Score Squad Challenge schedule will resume on July 1st with a game for Super Nintendo. :nintendo_snes:  Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Space Invaders.binSpace Invaders.pdf

I'm calling a handicap on this one!  lol... my 2600 has seen better days... and my TV is trying to go out...  may download it and try it via emulation... or on my Flashback portable...

Anyway, the moving shields are more annoying to me than the zigzag missiles.  I think I do better once they disappear.  Score is hard to read on here, but it was 3800.   (Also, bonus pizza pic!)

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

9 minutes ago, RickR said:

Oh and check to make sure your difficulty switch is on "B".  That wide ship on your pizza pic indicates it's on "A".

Yeah... that was right after I switched on the system.  It was still on A from playing something else.  I switched to B before actually playing.  No way I would have gotten as far as I did if I had that fat ship.  lol

I apologize for the snowy picture.  It's not my 2600's fault.  My laptop interferes with my 2600 when I'm using it.  I close the lid to shut it down when playing so the picture is better.  It and the laptop share a circuit as there is no other place to plug in the 2600's adapter at the moment.  But here's my first attempt.

5,555 points. 

1247484070_Picture6.thumb.jpg.ed588377e83b2eaafc62af160ddf443c.jpg 

1272465361_Picture7.thumb.jpg.5c9f3d23e1bbbdbaf3a6b94113c15785.jpg

Playing the game on real hardware with a 7800 Europad.  Makes a difference.  I prefer the joystick controllers but all of mine need rebuilt...again.  Poor dome contacts again.  The Europad is nice but there are just some games that feel better with the original joysticks.

BITD I always played level 1 I think now because the selector switch on my unit was snapped off & I had to use a butter knife.

great squad challenge will definatly play some more of this with wiggly bombs & sheilds

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.6455ab45629199a6f6e5ec5439e73ab0.JPG

2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Improved my score a bit.  5,640.  Stupid fuzz.  GO AWAY!

480896311_Picture9.thumb.jpg.beda41eb36395e90397569a6142e7d01.jpg

space invaders in space with a star-field .... looks pretty cool IMO

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I think I could have gone longer, but I got distracted by the thought of what to do if the score rolls?  Are we on the honor system?  I've never filmed a video before for a game, but maybe that's the answer.

Honor system is fine! Uploading a video to YouTube is a cool idea! We're just having fun and I thought the difficulty settings would have been enough that we wouldn't surpass 10,000 points.