Carrot Kingdom® - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

Hey all!

(Adding a copy of the post from another forum)

Binaries:

Current Binary .8a - Update 10/16/2017 - Fixed Ghosts

Old .8 - Update 9/23/2017 Re-coded collision, added 2 levels and under the hood changes.

OLD .07h - Update 2/19/2017 Fixes weird bug with input capacitor (MUCH THANKS DIRTY HAIRY!) fixes FBP compatibility.

OLD - .07g - Update 2/14/2017 (Later Evening) Adjustment to keep from Breadcat Battle 2x.

OLD - Update - 2/14/2017 (Evening) Adds ability to move and shoot and shortens pre-Bread Cat jump.

OLD - Update - 2/14/2017 - A lot of polishes, fixes, coloured levels, multi-enemies, etc.

OLD - Update 7/28/2016 - Fixes flamethrower sound buzzing on lives screen.

OLD - 7/28/2016 - Reduces Scanline usage to 262, tweak UI, Flamethrower Bugfix.

OLD - Update 7/15/2016 - Fixes Jittering.

OLD - Update 6/7/2016 - Updated Physics Demo.

OLD - Update 6/6/2016 - Teaser demo! :3

Twitterdcc3013.jpg

post-23974-0-48629800-1477866056.png

Lush Multicolour landscapes full of danger! :o

JinnyGameBankswitch986d_4_WalkingBG_3_2.

JinnyGameBankswitch976_3.png

Current Title Screen:

EC3_JrMX4AAopoX?format=png&name=900x900

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

(Latest progress)

Good news my friends!! A new Carrot Kingdom® teaser is here!

I just finished implementing the music player and it turned out nicely! If you look closely you can see a few other teasy changes as well. ;3

I am feeling well, and it is progressing more smoothly than the last few months. :3

Thanks for hanging with me! ❤️

On 7/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, Jinroh said:

(Latest progress)

Good news my friends!! A new Carrot Kingdom® teaser is here!

I just finished implementing the music player and it turned out nicely! If you look closely you can see a few other teasy changes as well. ;3

I am feeling well, and it is progressing more smoothly than the last few months. :3

Thanks for hanging with me! ❤️

its going to be a awesome game for sure!!!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

15 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Thank you so much Lance! :)

I finished the box/label art yesterday, now just need to tie up some loose ends for the next demo. :3

hi joe,

you are making great headway, can't wait!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 8/10/2019 at 8:39 AM, Jinroh said:

Thank you so much Lance! :)

I finished the box/label art yesterday, now just need to tie up some loose ends for the next demo. :3

hi joe,

we need a update:)

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 8/28/2019 at 1:05 AM, Video 61 said:

we need a update:)

;) I guess everyone else does need an update eh Lance? Now that it is Friday and I can start catching up on e-mails and messages why not!? :)

Updated the title screen UI a bit, and added two difficulty modes after seeings some players struggle with the base game. My homework for the week is nearly finished so looking forward to using this weekend to make some more progress. We are winding down towards the end of development. ;) 

EC3_JrMX4AAopoX?format=png&name=900x900

1 hour ago, BlackCatz40 said:

This is a great looking game for the A2600. Tell me something. Will this need to be on an enhanced cartridge? It looks very good for an A2600 game graphically, so that is why I wonder.

Good question BlackCatz40! :)

It actually does not use anything special at all. It does not use any additional RAM, no DPC+, just 32K of ROM. So standard 32K cartridge will be it. :D Thank you as well I am glad you like the look of it, I have been working so hard on making it an attractive game. :) 

Edited by Jinroh

5 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Splendid. It is shaping up to be a great game. It is difficult, too. I have a hard time accurately shooting the creatures in the demo I downloaded. Very nice. :)

Rad! I am glad you are enjoying it despite its challenge. I feel you there, it is tough until you get the hang of it, the last segment of the game will be the toughest, however, the easy mode will mitigate the hardest bits from the game. :)

It will support 2 buttons on the Sega Genesis controller as well so that should be able to help as well.

Yeah. I have tried to use the SG controllers on the classic Imagic game "Moonsweeper" for the A2600. The SG controller works without modification on the game. That is because they can utilize the same connection on the A2600 as the Genesis. That is because the Genesis is based on an Atari ST computer. It is the same layout on the motherboard, with modifications. Interesting information. :)

I have a question, Jinroh. Is this game programmed in assembly, Batari BASIC, or something else? I am curious because I would like to learn assembly and possibly Batari BASIC for video game design in the future. It is not a pressing need, because I am an artist myself and that satisfies me a lot already. But, I would like to learn the rudiments of assembly code for most Atari systems. I know that it is difficult, but I am curious. I had always heard that one needs to know BASIC before assembly could be understood. It helps, anyway. It is also not a pressing need because I do not understand all the opcodes, mnemonics, or even the computer math yet. I can use a hex editor, and have, but only for rudimentary things.

20 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Yeah. I have tried to use the SG controllers on the classic Imagic game "Moonsweeper" for the A2600. The SG controller works without modification on the game. That is because they can utilize the same connection on the A2600 as the Genesis. That is because the Genesis is based on an Atari ST computer. It is the same layout on the motherboard, with modifications. Interesting information. :)

Oh rad, I did not know this, it must be why I love the Genesis so much back in the day, and now. On the flip side I have/had not much love for the Super Nintendo. x3 I love Star Fox that is about it. ;3

I am glad I chose Sonic back in 1991. ^o^ I am glad the VCS can access an extra button because that lends a good option for Carrot Kingdom® for people who have a problem with down to fire. However, now the jump can be controllable with how long you hold down the button (like Mega Man), so that does not work with up for jumping. So that kept the decision for down to fire.

15 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I have a question, Jinroh. Is this game programmed in assembly, Batari BASIC, or something else? I am curious because I would like to learn assembly and possibly Batari BASIC for video game design in the future. It is not a pressing need, because I am an artist myself and that satisfies me a lot already. But, I would like to learn the rudiments of assembly code for most Atari systems. I know that it is difficult, but I am curious. I had always heard that one needs to know BASIC before assembly could be understood. It helps, anyway. It is also not a pressing need because I do not understand all the opcodes, mnemonics, or even the computer math yet. I can use a hex editor, and have, but only for rudimentary things.

Nothing wrong with getting started. It is an exciting road learning assembly. :) Especially 6502, still probably my favorite flavour of ASM. I really like 68000 as well, a nice set of opcodes.

To answer your question, Carrot Kingdom® is 100% assembly. I started with a 4K bank of the proof of concept for the scrolling engine, then worked my way up from there. The initial game was tested on my Supercharger as I did not have a Harmony Cart yet.

Learning BASIC first can help, if you do not have programming experience, though some of the assembly tutorials are nice, or Steven Hugg's book on coding games on the VCS may be another good option. I think with the book or some of the tutorials you could just jump right into 6502 ASM. The 6502 has a limited enough instruction set and the logic is straightforward enough that I think you would not have too much of a problem. :) I bought the Steven Hugg book for my friend that was curious about coding for the VCS after my showing them Carrot Kingdom®, and they have really enjoyed it so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Games-Atari-2600-Steven/dp/1541021304

Edited by Jinroh

Oh. I have that book. It is in Kindle format on my iMac. I have been reading it a little. Steven Hugg has got it down. It is thorough, and I have books on BASIC as well for the Atari 8-bit. I do admit, assembly for me is a learning curve, but I think that someday I can master it.

Keep up the good work, Jinroh. It will sell, I am sure. :)

8 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Oh. I have that book. It is in Kindle format on my iMac. I have been reading it a little. Steven Hugg has got it down. It is thorough, and I have books on BASIC as well for the Atari 8-bit. I do admit, assembly for me is a learning curve, but I think that someday I can master it.

Keep up the good work, Jinroh. It will sell, I am sure. :)

Oh rad! I am glad that you have that book. It will be great fun to work through. If you have any trouble when you learning assembly, do not hesitate to e-mail or message me if you have any questions. :)

I would be happy to offer some pointers if I can. :D

I appreciate the sentiment too, I am getting closer to finishing the game as well, my list of things to do/fix is getting smaller. :3

Some of the turbo BASIC things on the A8 would be good fun as well if that suites you well. My friend Darryl1970 has done some great BASIC games, but they were in old BASIC and would be so much nicer if in a compiled BASIC. I need to help him with that someday, like his game Goblin. :D

any new updates on this title? - 2 years since last update

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

On 10/2/2019 at 9:18 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

Keep up the good work, Jinroh. I would love to see your completed product soon. I know it is time-consuming and you are a busy guy. It is shaping up to be a great game, as I said before. Thanks. :)

Thanks so much! I am working as quickly as I can to get it out to you guys. :3 The list is ever dwindling. :3

On 10/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

I've learned the 2600 is a very able system from the games I've played.  And I did attempt to program it once but college got in the way.  Your game, Jinroh, is shaping up to be a great game on the 2600.  I look forward to the finished product.  Keep up the good work!

Are you still using 4K?

Oh really neat! I would love to see what you could come up with though once you get more time. I know what you mean though. I work full time, go to university full time, and raise my family so I have only a few hours a week to work on the game bleh. At least it is nearing completion. I just have the last few levels and the final boss to complete and it is done! :D

9 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

any new updates on this title? - 2 years since last update

Plenty of updates, though yes 2 years since the last demo. I was going to release an intermediary demo, but I am within the finish line of finishing the game so I figured let me just push and try to get it out as soon as I can. :)