CrossBow

Phishing alerts when trying to access Atari.io?

Anyone else getting these? It just started about a week ago now? What happens is that I get a Phishing alert message that pops up he first time I try and bring up the page. The alert is coming from OpenDNS which, is the DNS services that I use at home personally and also that my company uses for all of our company computers and customer/client systems. Now I can type the website address in a second time and it will then load up and seems to work just fine. At first I thought it was just my work computer until I noticed it happens from my home computer as well and pretty much any computer that is using OpenDNS addresses for name translation.

Just wondered if anyone else has this pop up?

Should I attach a screencap of the page that comes up and post?

I was looking at the Atari.io homepage earlier today, and I got a message at the top to supposedly update Adobe Flash. When I tried to close it,  it tried to send me some files which were fortunately blocked by my browser.

When I loaded the page again, the message didn't appear.

Edited by RadioPoultry

I had reports of this about a month ago from another member. Asking to "update Adobe Flash" etc. I thought we had this sorted out, I'll have to reexamine the issue which I believed to be a conflict in Wordpress. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I have not been getting that lately, but I do remember that the top image on the main page for this site had disappeared. That was the last time this happened. It was fixed by Justin, however. I have not seen any issues since then. At least, on my end. It could be something going on, but I don't know what. Thanks for letting me share.

I got it once about a month ago when visiting the homepage of this site.  I already knew it had to be fake because I use Chrome and Chrome stopped supporting Flash stuff a long time ago.  I had to learn how to program Flash stuff during college and finding web browsers that supported it was starting to dwindle then.  I believe Flash has died off in favor of other similar languages that are more stable.  So if you see the message again ignore it any way you can.  It's fake.

33 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

I have not been getting that lately, but I do remember that the top image on the main page for this site had disappeared. That was the last time this happened. It was fixed by Justin, however. I have not seen any issues since then. At least, on my end. It could be something going on, but I don't know what. Thanks for letting me share.

24 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I got it once about a month ago when visiting the homepage of this site.  I already knew it had to be fake because I use Chrome and Chrome stopped supporting Flash stuff a long time ago.  I had to learn how to program Flash stuff during college and finding web browsers that supported it was starting to dwindle then.  I believe Flash has died off in favor of other similar languages that are more stable.  So if you see the message again ignore it any way you can.  It's fake.

Yes, this was what was happening when the top image on the main page of the site had disappeared. The top image carousel was not appearing and some people were receiving strange messages about updating Adobe Flash (which we don't use on the home page, I made a conscious effort to not use Flash anything when building this version of the site in 2014). I thought this was all part of one problem that had been resolved. Now it appears it's possibly two different problems. Thanks guys.

I get the OpenDNS phishing alert from the office, but I do get the Adobe Flash updater message when logging in from home sometimes as well. So at work I just get the Open DNS alert, at home I will get both depending on what mood Chrome seems to be in at the time. Again, I can refresh or retype the link in my address bar and then it will go through.

Okay I've got a partial answer on the Flash updater message. Turns out that Chrome's last update completely blocks all Flash content in the browser now. So if websites use any flash or are listed as needing flash, then due it being blocked, you get a flash updater message. Why I'm not getting that and only getting the phishing alert at work I can't explain but at least the Flash stuff is more or less explained. 

So does this site or the main site page use flash content that would trigger this then?

Just confirmed this. The new 76 update launched at the end of last month blocks Flash by default. You have to go into Settings, Advanced, then Site Settings to find the Flash enable section. It will be set to be blocked. Enable it and it will now be set to ask first. 

After doing that and restarting my browser, I'm not getting the OpenDNS.org Phishing alerts when first opening the site as I do at work now. 

Edited by CrossBow

18 hours ago, CrossBow said:

So does this site or the main site page use flash content that would trigger this then?

To my knowledge we don't use flash on the website. It shouldn't be doing that. I think it has a lot to do with Wordpress updating their software every other week.

What does Wordpress use for the background imagery that changes on its own? They could be using action scripting in the background to do that?

But it is interesting that with the Flash options totally blocked you get the flash updater windows. With it allowed but set to be blocked, it produces the Phishing Alert instead. 

No big deal and just a minor annoyance is all. Glad to see I'm not drinking my bath water again and the only one experiencing the fun!