Squad Challenge - Ninja Spirit (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Ninja Spirit
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: PC-Engine Mode (Press Button I)
SINGLE LIFE RUN: Achieve high score using only one life to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 14th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 1st through August 14th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Press Button I to begin PC-Engine Mode. In the PC-Engine Mode, you begin the game with five energy points and three lives. In the more difficult Arcade Mode, you begin the game with only one energy point. We are playing the game in PC-Engine Mode.

SINGLE LIFE RUN: You are only allowed ONE LIFE to achieve your high score in this Squad Challenge.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 66th Squad Challenge! This time we're playing Ninja Spirit for the TurboGrafx-16! Ninja Spirit was released as a HuCard (TurboChip) for the TurboGrafx systems, and was included as a pack-in title with most TurboDuo game systems sold in the US! I think you'll find that Ninja Spirit is one of the stand-out titles among the US releases for TurboGrafx. It's a fun game with powerful jumps, different power ups and some serious ninja strategy. This has become my go-to game when I'm craving a ninja game. I should also apologize to you guys for posting this Squad Challenge five days late. I always try to post these on time. I have been absolutely swamped with work and have been distracted from the site and from playing games for the past few weeks. I'm here though, and this is going to be a great game for those of you just discovering the TurboGrafx-16. This is a SINGLE LIFE RUN Challenge, and you are only allowed ONE LIFE to achieve your high score in this Squad Challenge. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for Atari 7800. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Ninja Spirit.pdfNinja Spirit.pce

128,900 played using Mednaffe with a Logitech USB gamepad. 

Having PC troubles so I couldn't get to this via emu all week. Had time to restore today. 

Like @Atari Creep, this was my first time playing this game. My first impressions are that it looks really great for the time and is a fun adventure platformer. I would have been pumped to have it as a pack-in.

I think the Creep mentioned that it has a shooter vibe and I think that's a right on observation.  The powerups and body double, coupled with bullet hell inspired enemies make it feel a bit like a SCHMUP. 

In terms of a single-life high score run, the enemy regen allows you to rack up points without the need to progress. Theoretically, you could stay on the first screen and just kill the same three ninja dudes for a few hours. This would be boring as hell but one could do it if points are all that you're after.  For myself, I couldn't take it and had to move on.  Assuming it's the same in real hardware? 

IMG_20190811_110353720.jpg

Edited by atarilbc

1 hour ago, Control Issues said:

Man... another one you gotta be fast to get a pic of...

Yeah, that threw me the first time too (that's why my picture came out a little blurry).  I don't know if you can pause at that screen with the "Run" button or not.  I will try next time. 

Edited by RickR

Hey guys, glad to see so much participation in a TurboGrafx challenge! This is a really great game and I was hoping you guys would like it.

I spent hours playing and this is the best I could do. I've been meaning to do a livestream but it didn't work out. I may go back and play this game live on Instagram and YouTube later in the week.

My High Score: 244,800

Played the real game on real hardware using real Duo Pad controllers

ninja_spirit_high_score.jpg

On 8/12/2019 at 10:03 PM, Control Issues said:

Man... another one you gotta be fast to get a pic of...

I should've responded to this sooner. Some TG games can be very quick with displaying the score. On this one, if you miss it, just give it a minute for the game to end again and it will still display your high score as long as you don't power down the console.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, RickR said:

This is an awesome game!  It's one of those "I just have to see what's next" type of games.  Different weapons, different enemies.  Just pure old-school fun. 

I'm glad you liked it @RickR! It's a fantastic game, and another example of the kind of fun games they had on TurboGrafx that were unfortunately overlooked at the time. So glad you were able to join in on this and try this game out!

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations btbfilms76!

Congratulations @btbfilms76 on your high score! I hope you guys enjoyed checking out Ninja Spirit on TurboGrafx-16! How does this ninja game compare with Shinobi on Sega MasterSystem? @Atari Creep and @atarilbc likened Ninja Spirit to a shmup, I've never thought of it that way but that's a great point. There's a ton of action and a ton moving around the screen at the same time, especially once you get some powerups and body doubles. You guys posted some seriously impressive scores on a very challenging Single Life Run. @btbfilms76 topped out at 264,200, I came in 2nd with 244,800, @Control Issues had 156,700, @atarilbc with 128,900, @RickR with 105,500, and @Atari Creep rounds things out with 104,500. Congrats to everyone who played! I'd like to encourage @btbfilms76 to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on! 

Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Atari 7800!

NINJA SPIRIT
SINGLE LIFE RUN FINAL STANDINGS

1   BTBFILMS76                         264,200

2   JUSTIN                                   244,800

3   CONTROL ISSUES                156,700

4   ATARILBC                              128,900

5   RICKR                                     105,500

6   ATARI CREEP                        104,500

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif