Do you use hot sauce? How hot do you like it?

jmjustin6

We got a can of Pringles Tortilla chips once from a neighbor who got them from a local food bank.  Southwest something or rather.  Had just enough heat to not be overbearing.  Unfortunately most of the writing on the can was not English or Spanish and it's a flavor not available in the USA.  Go figure.

As for hot sauces...I'm good.  I don't do much spicy foods at all.  I do, however, like to put a packet of Taco Bell's Mild sauce in my beef Ramen to boost the flavor.  

On August 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM, RickR said:

I gotta say I love the creative labeling with bombs, skulls, and flames. 

It reminds me of those highly unsafe fireworks you buy at the fireworks stands. One of those tipped over once and started shooting the neighbor's garage door. Let's just say that was the last time we ever lit those kind off. Excellent video, though. I need to see if my cousin still has it somewhere.

So, here's a story -- I'm Korean and have loved spicy food all my life. When my mom was younger, she'd eat jalapeno peppers straight up raw and would even put go-chu-jang (Korean spicy paste) on it for extra kick and flavor. The same blood flows in me.

Back in 2008, I was on a business trip and was in Germany visiting one of our localization vendors. They took us out for lunch at a restaurant across the street from their office -- Mongolian grill in Germany of all places. As we were eating, conversation turned to the restaurant's hot sauce. A couple of the Germans (all caucasians) were talking up how they eat this stuff for breakfast etc... well, I'm thinking, I'm Korean born and raised, and these pasty white dudes' idea of spicy is probably one or two stars, maybe three at most. If they can eat this stuff, I can do better.

The hot sauce was passed around to those brave enough to give it a try, and it finally came to me. The German engineers who talked the talk and walked the walk were eyeing me with anticipation. No way I'm passing on this opportunity to show what this Korean boi is made of. I put a good helping of it on a spoonful of rice and meat and in it went into my waiting mouth. Veni, vidi, and vici! The rice and grilled meat -- yum, tasty as always -- and I continued chewing. I felt the sauce's spicy flavor beginning to build and then 💥 🔥🔥🔥 I think it burned off my taste buds, and I lost a pound or two from all the sweat that started pouring out. It was only my ethnic pride that held me in check from screaming out loud in pain, but the same pride wasn't strong enough to prevent me from spitting out the rice and meat into a napkin. On that day, my racist attitude concerning spicy food and white people went out the window along with my taste buds. Lessoned learned!

Twelve years later, I still love spicy food, but as I've gotten older, my tolerance level has dramatically gone down. It only takes 1 or 2 stars for me to feel the heat now. I figure it's a good thing. Hot spicy food isn't good for the digestive tract anyway, so my body is taking care of me naturally.

Edited by socrates63

Let's take a moment to recognize how good food is. Every country has something delicious to offer, even those weird northern European countries with the super bland food. Think about it: Germany has the sausages,  Mexico has tamales, The Middle East has falafel, Italy has all those very winey pasta dishes, Korea's got kimchi, Japan has sushi, England has savory pies, America has the hamburger and obesity, Canada has poutine, et cetera, et cetera. The point is food is good. Mmmm.