Squad Challenge - 2019 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

On 9/1/2019 at 1:53 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

Praying for your safety Justin.

Thanks @kamakazi20012 🙏 We've had a lot of preparedness going on. It's starting to look like it will hit north of us because I'm pretty far south, but we have to be prepared 🤞 I've been pretty busy with things lately, I probably won't be posting much until after the storm.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Everybody!

Congratulations everybody on your high scores! How was Pole Position II on the Fuji track? Pole Position II gets some hate on the Atari 7800 but I think it's a fun (and sometimes tricky!) adaptation of an incredible arcade game. I'd like to offer Gianna a very special welcome to the forums for participating in this Squad Challenge. You guys posted some seriously impressive scores on a very challenging track. You can bet we'll be back here this time next year to take on another PPII track. I hope everybody enjoyed our Summer Events this year, including the Pole Position II Grand Prix, Howard Scott Warshaw Day, and Pizza Party Weekend! We'll have some fun stuff coming up for the Fall and Winter too. Congrats to everyone who played! I'll post my new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on! 

Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Sega Genesis!

2019 POLE POSITION II GRAND PRIX
FINAL STANDINGS

1   JUSTIN                                   71,450

2   KID A                                       70,500

3   RICKR                                     70,100

4   ATARI CREEP                        69,500

5   KAMAKAZI20012                 66,350

6   GREENWEEN                         65,550

7   LAUREN TYLER                    65,000

8   CONTROL ISSUES                64,750

9   TREK MD                               32,100

10   GIANNA                               30,610

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

BTW I used the Sega Master System Control Pad this time for playing Pole Position II. I always have this perception of the Master System controller being clumsy and soggy... Until I pull it out again and actually play it. I don't hate it. I really like it a lot. It felt solid and responsive. After playing Hang On this summer on Sega Master System, the Control Pad felt like a very natural choice for playing Pole Position II. I hadn't done it in a while and plugged it in expecting there to be some issues but it worked perfectly. This is a great option to consider without having to mod an NES controller or custom build a new controller.

Atari_7800_Sega_Master_System_Control_Pad.jpg

PP II on the 7800 is not a bad game at all.  It just wasn't a system seller by the time the 7800 was finally released.  Seriously, imagine seeing the NES with SMB/Duck Hunt on one side of a shelf and the 7800 sitting next to it with PP II.  Something else should have been packed-in with the 7800.  It needed more adventure games which it lacked.  Then again the 7800 was made for arcade quality games so it makes sense why the system got more arcade ports.  Maybe if it would have done the same arcade games that the NES was getting it might have been a stronger competitor.  Not well marketed and it should have been more seriously developed for with originals as well as arcade ports.  The hardware is capable of doing anything the NES could have done.  

PP II is fun no matter what.  It wasn't all about the score.  I have more fun just playing to be playing.  Unfortunately my PP II cart just wasn't up to the task any more :(  Another ROM bites the dust.  But I might have a pulled PP II ROM somewhere I saved from a bad board so I might be able to get another one going.   This was fun guys!  Gotta do Gyruss on the 2600 sometime.  Or Fast Eddie.