What Retro Game Defines You...

Sabertooth

So, a lot has changed with dating since I was last in the market (c.2003).  This means dating apps, most of which I find abborrhent.  I've decided that it's important to be honest about my nerdiness - may as well know what you're getting into, right? One app actually asked me to respond the prompt: "The retro game that defines me as a person is..." 

I think this question is hilarious. It is also an unusually challenging and thought provoking question to answer. Even in a non-dating app context...

So I put it to you all: What retro game defines you as a person and why? 

Well, that counts Minecraft out.  Retro game?  Geez.  There's a bazillion of those.  Depends on how I am feeling that day.  

Pole Position - On days I have road rage LOL 

Home Alone - For days when I should have listened to instinct and just stayed home

Video Chess - For days when I don't want to do much but still want to give my mind something challenging

Galaxian/Life Force - For those times when you try to pay a bill over the phone and the person on the other end don't speak your language

Those were just for laughs, guys.  In all seriousness, my online name is about how I take life.  I'm down to earth most of the time but when I have a task at hand that needs to be done, depending on the task I don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done.  So with that in mind I'd have to say Adventure would sum me up.  Go in all guns a blazing.  :D 

For me? "Crystal Castles." It involves someone different (Bentley Bear), trying to face his darkest fears (Berthilda the Witch and her evil cronies), and triumph over adversity (getting out alive). It also involves finding fortune (collecting the gems in all 37 castles). It suits me to a T. I have been faced with that stuff all of my life. I think I just made a great analogy. Thanks. 🤣

Edited by DegasElite

6 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

For me? "Crystal Castles." It involves someone different (Bentley Bear), trying to face his darkest fears (Berthilda the Witch and her evil cronies), and triumph over adversity (getting out alive). It also involves finding fortune (collecting the gems in all 37 castles). It suits me to a T. I have been faced with that stuff all of my life. I think I just made a great analogy. Thanks. 🤣

Getting out alive.  I think some married people try to do that on a daily basis :D 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, Justin said:

OutRun! I've always loved the aesthetics of that game. I love living by the water. It's just a lot of fun! 

One of my all-time favorites!  It's hard to find that arcade game just to play in my area but back in the day I was easily spending $5 on the thing.  i couldn't get enough of it.  And that music.  I'd go home humming the music!  Sega nailed it with that one.

OK.  I've figured it out.  Took me long enough.

The game that defines me is Star Raiders (5200/A8).  The one aspect of life that has always fascinated me has been outer space.  I've always been curious about what else could be in all that space out there.  As a kid I loved Star Wars, Space Invaders, Space LEGO, and other things.  Star Raiders gave me an insight to what it would be like to fly a space ship around.  While it is 2D the presentation was more of a 3D aspect.  You were sitting IN the cockpit of a ship, you were FLYING around in a ship, and you were SHOOTING down enemies.  Pretty cool stuff.  Something about our galaxy and everything else out there has just interested me. 

Very good question. I will say LEGO Star Wars games on the PS2. It shows that I am a sci-if nerd, and I especially love Star Wars. I like the humor in the game when it pokes fun at itself and the medium it comes from, and I love to try to find the humor in what is going on around me. It just it being LEGO, which is a child’s toy for the most part, shows I still feel like a kid inside sometimes.