Squad Challenge - Spy Hunter (NES)

Justin

On 10/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, Justin said:

Agreed

Wow. That's not very convenient for me. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome.  Must have been during the early NES days before the Start button became the standard for pausing in most games to follow.  Makes sense if you are playing it on the Famicom since those controllers are always connected.  Not so good on a U.S. console considering we were lucky to even have one controller.  That still stands in retro gaming.  Those things are not cheap to come by these days.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RadioPoultry!

Congratulations @RadioPoultry on your fantastic score! I hope you guys enjoyed that super spy action in Spy Hunter! I hadn't played this game in years, it was nice to pick it up after such a long time. It was always one of my favorite games to play on the NES growing up. You guys posted some seriously impressive scores on a very challenging game. @RadioPoultry posted an astronomical score of 100,715 points! Unreal! I ranked 2nd place on the board with a score of 64,330 points, @kamakazi20012 took the 3rd position with his A-game of 39,470 points, @RickR took 4th with a solid showing of 22,125 points, and @Atari Creep rounds things out with an impressive 15,510 points. Congrats to @RadioPoultry and everyone who jumped in to play in this squad challenge and shared a score! Radio should be very proud of his accomplishment and I'd like to encourage him to  post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a Halloween challenge for the TurboGrafx-16. Be there!

SPY HUNTER FINAL STANDINGS

1   RADIOPOULTRY                  100,715

2   JUSTIN                                   64,330

3   KAMAKAZI20012                 39,470

4   RICKR                                     22,125

5   ATARI CREEP                        15,510

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

How'd I manage 3rd place?  I was expecting a much lower position.  I couldn't even get close to the score I posted again so I gave up LOL.  That game is brutal.  One fatal mistake ruins the whole thing.  You can obtain extra lives but those are very difficult to get.  And that timer counts so fast that it is up before you realize it.  All of that makes for the perfect ingredients for an excellent arcade game.  And a great port on the NES didn't miss a thing.  I do believe if you hit either the Select or Start buttons it can sometimes call up a weapon truck.  Sometimes.  Seems random.

Congrats to everyone!  A well played game.

10 hours ago, greenween said:

I thought this ended tonight. D'oh! I managed to get this score a minute ago 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Honorable Mention Greenween!

Congratulations @greenween on a score to be proud of! The score wasn't posted before the Squad Challenge came to an end, but there's still plenty of "nerd cred" to go around. Great to have all of you participating!

DIDN'T QUITE MAKE IT IN TIME

∞   GREENWEEN                    50,810

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

10 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

That game is brutal.

It absolutely is! A lot of fun! My main strategy was just to keep my speed down to "cruising speed" and take my time so I didn't crash. 

10 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I do believe if you hit either the Select or Start buttons it can sometimes call up a weapon truck.  Sometimes.  Seems random.

I've never heard of that trick, I'll have to give that a try! Seems plausible since there must be some reason the Pause button was moved to the second controller. Maybe there's more going on here? Seems like we have a mystery on our hands fellas.