Sign in to follow this  
DeLorean

Atari I/O Build Team

I'll throw in a good idea (IMO) for the first Atari.io homebrew/hack title............ Galaga. Since this title has not been attempted yet (to my knowledge and research), I'm thinking if someone here learning bB could easily start off by hacking into the released title Galaxian and do a graphic hack and turn it into Galaga, or deport the 7800 verison of Galaga to the VCS/2600. This should be a big hit once its done (and tested!) and the other Atari site wouldn't have it too.

Thoughts?

I'll throw in a good idea (IMO) for the first Atari.io homebrew/hack title............ Galaga. Since this title has not been attempted yet (to my knowledge and research), I'm thinking if someone here learning bB could easily start off by hacking into the released title Galaxian and do a graphic hack and turn it into Galaga, or deport the 7800 verison of Galaga to the VCS/2600. This should be a big hit once its done (and tested!) and the other Atari site wouldn't have it too.

Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea.  But we really need to walk before we can run. 

From what I've been reading, you can't take a released game and decompile it into Batari Basic.  We might be able to grab some sprites, but otherwise would be starting from scratch.

I'm going to propose a much simpler first title.  More to come soon. 

But Galaga is an excelling idea for project #2!

since I haven't heard back on leo on what type of site he would like, I'll figure just do a page on my Main site for it.

it will have links to the atari age bBasic section for 2600 programming as well as RT's  page for programing

and link to leo's google drive for files of games.(in the future I'll add pages for 7800 Basic and Raptor+ for Jaguar,but our main focus will be 2600)

I'll have the build team page up prob monday or tuesday any other ideas for the 2600 build team page

Okay, I've been reading up on game development. I want to get this up so we can make a game. 

I had this idea awhile back, I might have even made a post about it, but maybe we could create some sort of distribution system. We could talk to local retro game stores after we finish the game and sell them there or something. Then put the money into making another game/ getting equipment/ the forums etc.  

I just want to apologize for totally dropping the ball on this.  I loaded up the dev environment, started watching videos, and then......nothing.  It's hard to find the time to sit down and start experimenting.  No promises, but I'll get something going before this year is over. 

FYI - Alot of Atari 2600/VCS games are debuting (for sale) at the 2015 Portland Retro Gaming Expo next weekend:

from AA:

Star Castle Arcade

Lady Bug Collector's Edition

Wall Jump Ninja

Zippy the Porcupine

BRIK/BRIK 180

Jump VCS

Titan Axe

Galactopus

from Good Deal Games:

PRGE Smash Hit!!!

PRGE X

The Realm of No!

Clyde's Revenge

so far....

few questions:

Prof you when you mention the site can help with distribution do you mean atari io or the avc online website.

I have no problem putting finished roms we did on either on the server avc online is on or on my onedrive.

For phyical carts prob be good idea work a deal with Atari age. I don't know how we would approrch local stores

for it.

I plan to retool my laserman 88 game before starting on a new project

If it's an Atari I/O build team we can support the project and provide needed materials. Getting distribution into local stores could be challenging. I haven't seen a lot of that. Atari I/O could certainly provide infrastructure for selling the cartridges, as well as manufacturing them and distribution through a couple of the Atari vendors.