The Clearance Rack

Atari 5200 Guy

Since there were threads for thrift store, ebay, and craigslist finds I thought about starting one for those times when we find things on the clearance racks.  Because sometimes, without warning, famous retail outlets will put things on those racks that are of great interest.  And there are those rare circumstances where things go on clearance in the least expected areas of a store.

To start things off I was at Wal-Mart tonight getting things to make sure my car was weatherized since we are expected to get snow next week...and my car needed some antifreeze.  As much as I tried to avoid it I simply couldn't bypass visiting the electronics section to see if there was anything new.  Yep, there was but it wasn't merchandise.  More like a shrink down.  The are where My Arcade and Tiny Arcade items once were had been replaced with Pop Vinyl figures followed by accessories for PlayStation, Switch, and XBOX all contained behind a locked glass cabinet now.  So I did a search around the rest of the area for the missing items.  

On the other side where CDs and movies are our store started carrying vinyl records full bore.  Next to those are the Arcade1UP arcades.  Above these are where I found part of the missing items.  Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga were the only My Arcade systems I found.  Galaxian, BurgerTime, Dig Dug, and the other My Arcades were still missing.  Next stop, an area next to the Photo section that is generally set aside for some electronic items on clearance.  Right before I got there was a rack setup containing one of the missing items...

1917039698_Picture63.thumb.jpg.77391a458d75ab094cac9587e7442121.jpg

BurgerTime found I checked out the rest of the rack.  A spot where Galaxian and Dig Dug once were but were now gone.  Next to the machines I found two metal signs that I simply couldn't pass up.

911252406_Picture62.thumb.jpg.386be3f59625f7670fbf40eca7716093.jpg

I grabbed them up...I couldn't pass these up.  But I had to make sure I had enough left to finish weatherizing my car first so off to the checkouts I went.  Yep, calculations correct and home came the clearance items I found.  Damn Wal-Mart.  You ought to give a week's warning when you are going to put things like this on clearance.  I might have missed Dig Dug but at least I got BurgerTime now.  I haven't tried this one out yet.  I already had to return the first one I grabbed because the D-Pad did not want to work.  There were at least a dozen BurgerTime machines when I grabbed that first one...when I went back to get an exchange only 3 remained.  I was going to grab another one and keep the better of the two should any of THOSE have problems but while I was thinking about it someone came along and swooped up the remaining 3.  There went that idea, eh?  I might be $7 less than I went in the store with but I came home with small treasures I will enjoy for a long time to come.  Now I have to figure out where to put those signs on my game room wall after I test this BurgerTime.  

12 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Oh, on my last trip to Puerto Rico to visit my family I went to a new store they have that essentially clears merchandise.  I got two of the AtGames controllers with multiple games there.  I paid $6 for each one.  I couldn't resist!

Activision%20Flashback%20Blast_zpsl4hqc1

Legends%20Flashback%20Blast_zps40a0hef2.

I have these exact ones that I got on clearance at "Bed, Bath, Beyond" quite a while ago.  I haven't tried them yet, but I do have an interesting experiment once I do...From Goodwill, I found an Atari paddle Blast! without the HDMI dongle.  I want to determine if it will work with one of the dongles from the others.  What am I waiting for???  I don't know. 

Also, I want to say to @kamakazi20012 that this is a great idea for a post!  Well done.  I'm constantly finding pretty good clearance stuff at Target. 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Also, I want to say to @kamakazi20012 that this is a great idea for a post!  Well done.  I'm constantly finding pretty good clearance stuff at Target. 

You're welcome.  I still can't believe I found a BurgerTime My Arcade for $5 at my local Wal-Mart.  I wish I would have known about it as I might have been able to nab a Dig Dug one as well for the same price.  I have no clue what happened to the other My Arcade systems they had that are not there any more.  Inquiring minds want to know!