Squad Challenge - Alleyway (Game Boy)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Alleyway
Nintendo Game Boy
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default (Press Start To Play)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 14th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 1st through November 14th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Default. Press Start to Play.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 72nd Squad Challenge! November kicks off the Holiday season, which often times reminds us of traveling, road trips to see family for holiday gatherings, and many hours spent in the back of the car playing video games. We're starting things off with Alleyway for Game Boy! Alleyway was one of the first Game Boy games released in the USA, and one of the first games I can remember playing for Game Boy. Alleyway is a nice Breakout clone. I loved Breakout and Super Breakout on Atari 2600, and although it lacks the Arkanoid-style power-ups, Alleyway still proves to be a fun game. I hope you guys enjoy this Squad Challenge! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a Thanksgiving challenge for the Atari 7800. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Alleyway.pdfAlleyway.gb

Would love to play this on my GBA but I have an emulator setup now.  Thought about ordering it since it is a cheap game but shipping costs more than the game.  Count me in!  I haven't played this game since I owned an original GB about '88 - '89.  I had this game but it was the least played.  I played Castlevania and SML more.  I think this is the only console I played a lot of Tennis on as well.

Here's my attempt.  3,879.

MVC-003F.thumb.JPG.f3070b38027466e448848c93850256c1.JPG

Unfortunately it's emulated :(  The good part is that I got my Sony Mavica FD camera working again.  It wasn't wanting to read disks.  Taking that thing apart was a nightmare as I didn't want to ruin it.  Everything inside was layered like a sandwich.  And seemed like a million micro screws.  

Wow.  I just noticed I have an Atari I/O anniversary coming up.  Has it been 4 years already? 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RadioPoultry!

Congratulations @RadioPoultry on such an epic score! I hope you guys enjoyed diving into Alleyway on Game Boy! I hadn't played this game in years, it was nice to pick it up after such a long time. It was one of my first games on Game Boy, and I really connected with it because I had always loved Super Breakout on Atari 2600 and Breakout-style games. How do you think Alleyway holds up compared to Super Breakout? Do you guys feel it could have used some Arkanoid elements to the game? @RadioPoultry posted an astronomical score of 10,467 points! Unreal! @kamakazi20012's score ranked 2nd place on the board at 3,879 points, "The Don" @RickR took the 3rd position with an impressive 3,173 points, Lynx Master @btbfilms76 joined in this round and placed 4th with a solid showing of 2,982 points, and @Atari Creep rounds things out with a LIVE performance of 1,987 points. Congrats to @RadioPoultry and everyone who jumped in to play in this squad challenge and shared a score! Radio should be very proud of his accomplishment and I'd like to encourage him to  post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a Thanksgiving challenge for the Atari 7800 ProSystem. Be there!

ALLEYWAY FINAL STANDINGS

1   RADIOPOULTRY                  10,467

2   KAMAKAZI20012                 3,879

3   RICKR                                     3,173

4   BTBFILMS76                         2,982

5   ATARI CREEP                        1,987

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif