Squad Challenge - Food Fight (Atari 7800)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Food Fight
Atari 7800 ProSystem
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Beginner (Starting at Level 1)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 30th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 15th through November 30th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Beginner. Start at Level 1. As you progress, the game will become progressively more difficult.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 73rd Squad Challenge! November means Thanksgiving celebrations, Holiday shopping, and lots of FOOD! What better way to celebrate than with a few rounds of Food Fight on Atari 7800!? Food Fight has always been one of my personal all-time favorites on the 7800, and was called "a Masterpiece" in Tim Lapetino's book Art Of Atari. Is Food Fight one of your favorites on the 7800 System? Let's get ready for a Thanksgiving feast and throw some food! I hope you guys enjoy this Squad Challenge! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

PS!: I realize the m-ware issue is still affecting the site. It must be very annoying to get that message every time you visit our forums. I know it is for me. I'm still working on this and will get this resolved. I've been busy with taking a continuing education course for my job which has really cut into my free time to work on the site. The site will always be here and I will get the issue resolved soon!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a special winter challenge for the Super Nintendo. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Food-Fight.pdfFood_Fight.a78

BTW - I'm playing this on the 16-in-1 Multicart put out in 2014 for the 30th Anniversary of the initial run of the 7800 ProSystem. It was a forums sign up that CPUWIZ did. They also did a second 8-in-1 and  Bob Decrescenzo Collection (pictures). Anyone else here have these? 

IMG_20191128_061216304.jpg

Edited by atarilbc

IN PROGRESS

Paused at 10,017,500 

Apparently, the last level is 125. I had a breakthrough in my play strategy so I'm going to see how far I can get. At this point, I'm not really dying so it's all stamina and not making stupid mistakes. I have no idea how many extra lives I have as it only displays the first 6. I'm hoping my 31 year old console and PSU hold out while paused for the holiday. 😂

IMG_20191128_082200448.jpg

8 hours ago, atarilbc said:

BTW - I'm playing this on the 16-in-1 Multicart put out in 2014 for the 30th Anniversary of the initial run of the 7800 ProSystem. It was a forums sign up that CPUWIZ did. They also did a second 8-in-1 and  Bob Decrescenzo Collection (pictures). Anyone else here have these? 

IMG_20191128_061216304.jpg

I wish I had one or all of those!  Wow!  I never knew these existed. 

Still in Progress -

I got home from TG and put another 10M on the odometer. I think I'm going to call it. It takes about 2.5 "levels" to tick up 100K and about half an hour to get 5M. Apparently the game goes to just over 100M. I do not have 8 more hours of this in me.  😂😂😂

IMG_20191128_232222342.jpg

On 11/28/2019 at 11:31 PM, atarilbc said:

Still in Progress -

I got home from TG and put another 10M on the odometer. I think I'm going to call it. It takes about 2.5 "levels" to tick up 100K and about half an hour to get 5M. Apparently the game goes to just over 100M. I do not have 8 more hours of this in me.  😂😂😂

IMG_20191128_232222342.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed by your dedication! This is no draw, you've definitely earned the win!

Has anyone figured out a pattern for the instant replays? I hardly saw any later on in the game, but maybe they don't trigger if you finish a level too quickly.

Edited by RadioPoultry

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations atarilbc!

Congratulations @atarilbc on your score! You made history! Looking at all of these scores, you guys really reached stratospheric heights in this game. I hope this was a fun challenge! Food Fight has always been one of my favorite games on one of my favorite systems. It's such a simple concept, "Mindless fun" as Atari Creep puts it. Whenever somebody asks me why the Atari 7800 is worth owning, I always cite Food Fight as one of the must-have games. We'll certainly revisit this game again in High Score Squad to celebrate the holidays in the future. Next time we do this challenge we'll increase the difficulty level. I thought this would've been sufficiently challenging to prevent never-ending games, but you guys are beasts.

How do you think Food Fight holds up on the Atari 7800? Does it compare well to Coleco? NES? @atarilbc posted an astronomical score of 20,010,600 points! Unreal! The legendary @RadioPoultry joins atarilbc in the '10M+ Winner's Tier" ranking 2nd place on the board at 10,005,100 points. @nosweargamer took the 3rd spot on the board with an impressive 1,215,100 points, "The Don" @RickR showing how it's done again with 1,061,200 points, and @Atari Creep rounds things out with a solid showing of 155,800. Honorable mention to @TrekMD for joining in the fun here, even though he was unable to play. Congrats to and everyone who jumped in this squad challenge and shared a score! Atarilbc should be very proud of his accomplishment and I'd like to encourage him to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a special F-ZERO holiday challenge on Super Nintendo. Be there!

FOOD FIGHT FINAL STANDINGS

1   ATARILBC                          20,010,600

2   RADIOPOULTRY                10,005,100

3   NOSWEARGAMER              1,215,100

4   RICKR                                    1,061,200

5   ATARI CREEP                          155,800

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif