Squad Challenge - 2019 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge (Super Nintendo)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

F-ZERO
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Grand Prix > Queen League > Standard Class > Mute City II
Achieve best time to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 14th, 2020

OBJECTIVE: Play for the best possible time using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 23rd, 2019 through January 14th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the best time at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL:  Grand Prix > Queen League > Standard Class > Mute City II. We are playing for the best overall time to complete the course at Mute City II. At the title screen select GRAND PRIX. Players may select any air car they wish. Next, select the League and Class in which you wish to race. Players will select QUEEN LEAGUE, then STANDARD CLASS. This will start you at Mute City II. You do not have to play the rest of the courses. We are only playing for the best overall time to complete the course at Mute City II.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 74th Squad Challenge! This time we're playing the Mute City II circuit in F-ZERO on Super Nintendo, a true SNES classic! I have wonderful Christmas memories of F-ZERO, I received the game with my SNES when my family was very poor and I was not expecting anything for Christmas. The game brought a lot of fun and joy into the house around that time and I always love playing this game at Christmas. It's become a bit of a tradition, and as such I've made it part of a Christmas tradition here in the forums as well. 🎄 F-ZERO is one of the iconic titles on Super Nintendo and was a good demonstration of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics. F-ZERO was a predecessor to anti-gravity racing league games such as Wipeout that would come in following generations. PDF F-ZERO Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

NOTE: This Squad Challenge runs through JANUARY 14th, 2020! Enjoy!  :nintendo_snes:

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

F-ZERO.pdf

On 12/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, Justin said:

F-ZERO is one of the iconic titles on Super Nintendo and was a good demonstration of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics. F-ZERO was a predecessor to anti-gravity racing league games such as Wipeout that would come in following generations.

F-ZERO was the only reason why I asked for a SNES when it released stateside.  That was one of the launch titles.  I didn't care what game it came with...I HAD to have F-ZERO.  Wipeout came out on the PS1 and, as much fun as it was, I didn't like it as much as I did F-ZERO.  Actually, all of the F-ZERO installments on systems after the SNES were better than Wipeout in my opinion.  F-ZERO is one of those games where everything just works.  It has a nice balance of easy to pick up and play and track challenges.  Each course has its own learning curve that depends on the vehicle one is using.  It has managed to retain replay value that most games of this nature don't have.  Those that own a Super NES but don't yet own F-ZERO...shame on you!  LOL.

Zelda on the SNES is very good, too ;) and my favorite of the Zelda series.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RadioPoultry!

WOW!! I'm thrilled to see this turnout for our 2nd Annual F-ZERO Squad Challenge! Especially with the Malware situation going on. I love that you guys all turned out for this, even if F-ZERO isn't your strongest game. Congrats to all our racers who showed up to play, lots of friendly competition all around this challenge. Atari Creep livestreamed this event on his Instagram and YouTube, which was a lot of fun, special thanks to him for getting the word out. It's been really cool to get to watch other people play Squad Challenges live. Congratulations to @RadioPoultry on his score! Radio came in with a total lap time of 2' 07" 59. @kamakazi20012 takes 2nd with 2' 11" 32, and my score was 3rd on the scoreboard at 2' 16" 43. @greenween gave it his best and got a lap time of 2' 22" 37, @RickR was right on his tail at 2' 22" 71 and @Atari Creep rounds things out with 2' 32" 85 performed live. All of you showed how it was done, a huge congratulations to everybody who turned out for this Squad Challenge and posting absolutely incredible scores! I hope everybody enjoyed playing Mute City II on F-ZERO. We had more 16-Bit challenges this year and will continue with more challenges this year for Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Atari Lynx and more. Way to go everybody!

F-ZERO MUTE CITY II FINAL STANDINGS

1   RADIOPOULTRY           2’07”59

2   KAMAKAZI20012        2’11”32

3   JUSTIN                          2’16”43

4   GREENWEEN                 2’22”37

5   RICKR                             2’22”71

6   ATARI CREEP                2’32”85

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

On 1/6/2020 at 1:31 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

F-ZERO was the only reason why I asked for a SNES when it released stateside.  That was one of the launch titles.  I didn't care what game it came with...I HAD to have F-ZERO.  Wipeout came out on the PS1 and, as much fun as it was, I didn't like it as much as I did F-ZERO.  Actually, all of the F-ZERO installments on systems after the SNES were better than Wipeout in my opinion.  F-ZERO is one of those games where everything just works.  It has a nice balance of easy to pick up and play and track challenges.  Each course has its own learning curve that depends on the vehicle one is using.  It has managed to retain replay value that most games of this nature don't have.  Those that own a Super NES but don't yet own F-ZERO...shame on you!  LOL.

Zelda on the SNES is very good, too ;) and my favorite of the Zelda series.

I received F-ZERO for Christmas one year when I first got my Super Nintendo. I wasn't expecting it and it was an absolute thrill to play. The graphics seemed so amazing, and I really loved jumping off of the ramps. F-ZERO is also one of those Nintendo franchises that deserves to sit alongside Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Mario Kart, etc. but for the longest time had been "forgotten" to an extent. I always find myself playing F-ZERO around this time of year, and would like to continue revisiting F-ZERO in with a special holiday Squad Challenge every year, racing a different track from the game. The "Mute City" tracks are so emblematic of the game and easy to access as they are the first track to race in all three leagues. I hope you'll all join us the next time we revisit F-ZERO in a future Squad Challenge.

I had this one way back in 95? maybe, I had forgotten about it until the last time it was a squad challenge. Ordered a copy, but didn't get it in time for the challenge. Hooked the SNES up just for this and I'm glad I did. Great game and I'm going to keep playing for awhile. :) 

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

4 hours ago, Justin said:

I received F-ZERO for Christmas one year when I first got my Super Nintendo. I wasn't expecting it and it was an absolute thrill to play. The graphics seemed so amazing, and I really loved jumping off of the ramps. F-ZERO is also one of those Nintendo franchises that deserves to sit alongside Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Mario Kart, etc. but for the longest time had been "forgotten" to an extent. I always find myself playing F-ZERO around this time of year, and would like to continue revisiting F-ZERO in with a special holiday Squad Challenge every year, racing a different track from the game. The "Mute City" tracks are so emblematic of the game and easy to access as they are the first track to race in all three leagues. I hope you'll all join us the next time we revisit F-ZERO in a future Squad Challenge.

My favorite track on the SNES version is Silence.  I don't care if I'm in the hospital...I will join in on the next F-ZERO challenge.  I plan on trying to pick up the N64 F-ZERO sometime.