kamakazi20012

Wal-Mart Supercenters Closing

At night anyway due to this COVID-19 outburst.  Our local Wal-Mart is going to be open everyday from 6am until 11pm starting March 15th.  So those that are use to going to Wal-Mart at all hours of the night might have to plan to do their shopping early.  Thought I'd give a heads-up.

Lots of things are shut down here in Portland.  Libraries, schools, universities.  Some movie theaters have closed, many restaurants have switched to "pick-up" only.  No sporting events of any kind.  The economic impact is going to be unimaginable. 

On the bright side, retro games plug right in and work just fine.  Been playing Nintendo DS here. 

Stay safe everyone. 

He he.  I found time to play on the ST.  If we have to stay quarantined at least the wife and I have food, games, and other activities we can do.  And we can mingle with other residence in our building without stepping foot outside if we wanted to.  That is as long as we are healthy of course.  But if things get worse we have what we need for now.

Well, we went to our local Wal-Mart this evening to do the rest of our monthly grocery shopping.  Yea.  What we normally get use to be in abundance.  All the vegetables, frozen, canned, fresh, were gone.  Nothing but empty shelves.  Mac N Cheese?  Empty.  Instant potatoes which carries us until next month?  Empty.  Potato Chips?  We got lucky as a truck arrived while we were shopping that had GV brand chips on it.  Eggs?  Another truck came in with those as well but the cool section where the store keeps those stocked was completely empty.  We ended up having to find alternatives.  You see, when we grocery shop it's always to get what we need for the month.  So anything we can get the most meals out of is what we try to get which Wal-Mart always has on the shelves.  We ended up having to get creative with what we think would go with the meat we have.  But the shelves were bare.

Everything is closed in Minnesota, it seems. Minnesota Governor Timothy Walz is putting everything on notice. School, restaurants, gatherings, et cetera. No gatherings with more than 10 or 50 people. State guidelines. At least, until the pandemic ends.

Most schools in Missouri are closing til at least April 3rd however where we live has had only one school actually close.  The city public school has yet to do anything. Our apartment complex has taken the outside beach seats away and has asked that residence keep visits with friends and family to phone calls and internet apps.  

I've got video games so I don't mind being grounded to my room.  That's where I'd rather be anyway :D

24 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Everything is closed in Minnesota, it seems. Minnesota Governor Timothy Walz is putting everything on notice. School, restaurants, gatherings, et cetera. No gatherings with more than 10 or 50 people. State guidelines. At least, until the pandemic ends.

Same deal here in Oregon.  I've been ordered to work from home, which luckily I can do and still be productive. 

Funny thing is I feel more exhausted than usual when working from home.  My wife says it's the mental exhaustion of trying to process all the changes that are flying at us right now.  She's probably right. 

Hey guys, Happy St. Patrick's Day while I've got your attention.  Everything is weird and different right now, but let's all try to enjoy the holiday in some small way. 

17 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Most schools in Missouri are closing til at least April 3rd however where we live has had only one school actually close.  The city public school has yet to do anything. Our apartment complex has taken the outside beach seats away and has asked that residence keep visits with friends and family to phone calls and internet apps.  

I've got video games so I don't mind being grounded to my room.  That's where I'd rather be anyway :D

My collection keeps me occupied, too. :)

Happy St. Patty's Day!  Did you find any leprechauns with a pot of gold by chance?  If you did could you send some my way LOL.  Wouldn't matter, what I need is not on the store shelves right now LOL.

SCS Software, the makers of the truck driving games I enjoy from Steam, have also decided to work from their homes to help avoid spreading anything.  So it's effecting a bunch of people in many different ways.

https://blog.scssoft.com/2020/03/adapting-to-difficult-times.html

On a brighter note, XBOX gave away Sonic Generations for 360 through its Games with Gold program last night.  I tried it for a bit and was more blown away by the old music I remember than anything else.  I do like the game and the fact I can switch between old Sonic and new Sonic between levels.  Tails is here, too!  I've also got both Castlevania Lord of Shadows I and II to go through and try to beat.  I also have Star Ocean for the 360 to finish. 

If stores start limiting hours, it is going to force people to crowd in the stores when they are open that normally would be visiting later in the day. Some people work different shifts, so some cannot shop for their needs earlier. So it is going to force some people to take time off just to shop. We found out the hard way the Wal Marts in Western New York area are closing at 8:30PM. My brother works to 8PM most nights and I work until 11pm, so we have to wait until our days off to shop.

7 minutes ago, peteym5 said:

If stores start limiting hours, it is going to force people to crowd in the stores when they are open that normally would be visiting later in the day. Some people work different shifts, so some cannot shop for their needs earlier. So it is going to force some people to take time off just to shop. We found out the hard way the Wal Marts in Western New York area are closing at 8:30PM. My brother works to 8PM most nights and I work until 11pm, so we have to wait until our days off to shop.

These are the kind of changes we're going to have to be flexible with over the coming weeks. Stores also need to actively clean and sanitize their stores every night. They also have employees who are now working in crazy conditions who also have families they want to get home to. I don't think most stores are closing or changing hours because they want to make things more difficult for people. Life is hard.

10 hours ago, peteym5 said:

It's time to think outside the box.  Maybe try one of the delivery services that stores offer?  Instacart is a good one that we have here. 

Stores have to find that balance of getting workers in to work (and thereby exposed to risk) and being available for the community.  Limiting hours is sensible.  Better than being completely closed.