Squad Challenge - Go Fish! (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Go Fish!
Atari 2600 Video Computer System
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 31st, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 15th through March 31st, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 75th Squad Challenge! We're keeping it nice and relaxing as we get back into the swing of things for a new season of High Score Squad with Go Fish on Atari 2600! Go Fish! is a 2005 homebrew game from Bob & Tommy Montgomery loosely based on the Intellivision game Shark! Shark! From the description on AA: "you are a wee fish and to survive you must eat other, smaller fish to grow. But watch out for the shark, as he's also on the hunt for food and you could be his next meal! Go Fish! features extensive, continuously-playing music (with an option to turn it off for those who'd rather do their fishing in quiet), as well as a two-player battle mode."

NOTE: Upcoming Squad Challenges will be simple and straightforward until the site issues are completely resolved. We'll dive deeper with some fun Squad Challenges this summer. Thanks for playing, and enjoy!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

GoFish.bin

I do happen to have the cart & manual

game-play: "eat or be eaten"

eat fish your size or smaller ....

your fish will grow @ 5; 19; 55 & 132 on novice setting

avoid jellyfish , electric eels & sharks

I am going with this image thinking I had more than one life, hitting the button after death starts a new screen (new score)

IMG_1942.thumb.JPG.cafcab2b463c06423694e2168e2c4d66.JPG

On 3/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, chas10e said:

wow a shark came outta nowhere while I was trapped between 2 long fishes ... I was a pretty tasty treat for him

I have been starting with the difficulty on "B" or beginner as a tiny fish .... I dunno what Default is on Stella but curious to know

To answer your question, it seems to be set to beginner by default. I definitely started as the tiniest fish.

The file that Justin posted in the original post does not work on my Harmony cart.  But I found three versions of the same game already on my harmony.  They are shown below.  I chose the "extended" version, which I assume is newest based on the timestamp.

Should we disqualify my score?  I can use the Justin bin file on Stella instead.  Which file are you all using?  The Justin version only shows 2 downloads. 

image.png.5c2b240ef8712b0233fd2a4426b18c87.png

23 minutes ago, RickR said:

The file that Justin posted in the original post does not work on my Harmony cart.  But I found three versions of the same game already on my harmony.  They are shown below.  I chose the "extended" version, which I assume is newest based on the timestamp.

Should we disqualify my score?  I can use the Justin bin file on Stella instead.  Which file are you all using?  The Justin version only shows 2 downloads. 

image.png.5c2b240ef8712b0233fd2a4426b18c87.png

I didn't realize that version wouldn't work with the Harmony cart. Let's do what we need to do to keep you in the game!

I just figured out why.  Firefox won't download it!  It thinks the file is infected (probably since the site is marked as infected).  So I had a zero byte file.  I've downloaded it using Chrome and am playing on Stella now.  No worries, I don't mind removing my other score.  I'll post another soon.

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

I just figured out why.  Firefox won't download it!  It thinks the file is infected (probably since the site is marked as infected).  So I had a zero byte file.  I've downloaded it using Chrome and am playing on Stella now.  No worries, I don't mind removing my other score.  I'll post another soon.

Not a problem! Glad to have you playing.

10 minutes ago, RadioPoultry said:

I downloaded the version I used from AtariAge because I was having trouble getting the ROM file as well. I didn't really think about there being different versions. Hopefully mine is the same,  but I can try getting the file from here again some other way. 

It's the same file as the one that would be downloaded on AA from the Go Fish! page.