Justin

What grocery stores did your family shop at growing up?

True story: My first word was "Kroger". Some of my most vivid memories growing up were from going with my family to the grocery store. I'm not sure why that was. I think because going to the grocery store is such an everyday part of American life that transcends socioeconomic status. Young, old, rich, poor, city, country, we've all been to the grocery store at some point. It also transcends time. We tend to go grocery shopping with our parents when we're young, and so many "nostalgic" things came from the grocery store. Cereal, Ecto Cooler, magazines, 24-hour photo, etc.

What grocery stores did your family shop at growing up? Do you have any grocery store memories worth sharing?

When I was growing up, stopping at the grocery store seemed like an everyday thing. We went to:

Michigan

• KROGER
  • MEIJER
  • PERRY DRUGS

South Carolina

• PIGGLY WIGGLY
  • BI-LO
  • BRUNO'S

Florida

• PUBLIX

vintage-grocery-stores-usa-old-pictures-

My hometown had a few grocery stores that were locally owned and operated.  The local Wal-Mart took one side of a building while Consumers took the other side.  My uncle worked at Hudson's all his adult life.  Almost every week he was bringing home food close to being out dated but made for great meals.  Then there is Edwards which was the most expensive in town.

Consumers is now Country Mart, Hudson's and Edwards are still there.  Aldi was added after I moved away.  Hudson's still had that chicken machine that laid eggs with prizes inside.  If you got a golden egg you got an expensive prize.  I got a $20 gift certificate to the store once.  I got something from the deli because their food at the time was better than any other place in town, a drink, and a slice of cake for desert.  I was 16 and had a couple of quarters and thought what the heck.  Only time I ever got a gold egg out of that thing.

I'm from Puerto Rico.  We went to two supermarkets:  Jaime and Pueblo.  Jaime was an independently owned supermarket and it was named after the owner, who's first name was Jaime.  Pueblo is a chain that still exists today. 

Edited by TrekMD

When I lived in Saint Paul, MN, we shopped at a chain called Country Club. It lasted only until the 1980s or 1990s. Then, they folded. There was another chain called Applebaum. It later became Rainbow Foods. Then, Robert Mariano got a hold of it and ran it to the ground. He owned Roundy's in Wisconsin. They used to double and quadruple the amount of coupons you had to get even better deals on sales. Actually, when Mariano closed Rainbow, it was still profitable. Imagine that. Stupid financial move, IMHO.

When I lived in Indiana for two years, we went to Tysen's (a local IGA), Jewel, and Meijer. We even went to Sam's Club for a while. My girlfriend's parents had a membership there, and we were guests. That was around 2004-06. But, I am glad I am back in Minnesota. It has better fishing up here. :)

Edited by BlackCatz40

My original grocery store was a local chain called "Fred Meyer".  We all called it "Freddie's".  They eventually spread out to several states here in the northwest part of the country.  But once the founder, Mr Meyer, died in the 80's, the chain was sold to Kroger.  The stores are still branded as Fred Meyer here. 

And now we call it "Freddie Kroger".

220px-Freddy_Krueger_(Robert_Englund).jp

I can remember my childhood Freddie's vividly.  The green concrete floor, white walls.  I remember playing Asteroids while my dad was in line for groceries.  I remember walking there with my brother to buy Mattel Basketball (the old LED handheld).  I bought my first digital watch there.  And on and on.