Squad Challenge - Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Ms. Pac-Man
Atari 7800 ProSystem
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Cherry (Default)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST April 14th, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between April 1st through April 14th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Cherries. (Press Fire to Play) This is the default difficulty setting when you power on the system.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 76th Squad Challenge! We're celebrating National Pac-Man Day this month with a few rounds of Ms. Pac-Man on the Atari 7800! Ms. Pac-Man was one of the first titles released on the 7800 and a must-have for any Atari 7800 aficionado. We're still keeping things light and breezy as we deal with this Coronavirus situation and get back into the swing of things in the forums, so kick back, relax, and put on a nice easy game of 7800 Ms. Pac-Man. I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Upcoming Squad Challenges will be simple and straightforward until the site issues are completely resolved. We'll dive deeper with some fun Squad Challenges this summer. Thanks for playing, and enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Ms_Pac-Man.a78Ms_Pac-Man.pdf

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I'm in!  You ought to do a 2600 Ms. Pac-Man Squad Challenge along side this one, too 😉 

We celebrate National Pac-Man Day annually with a different Pac-Man game every year. There's only so many Pac-Man games to go through without repeating, so we're saving 2600 Ms. Pac-Man for another year :pac_man:

20200402_130118.jpg.cf175cbf2b2eb49e025273e915c8bd86.jpg

16 hours ago, Justin said:

We celebrate National Pac-Man Day annually with a different Pac-Man game every year. There's only so many Pac-Man games to go through without repeating, so we're saving 2600 Ms. Pac-Man for another year :pac_man:

If all else fails, there's always National K.C. Munchkin Day.

There IS one, right? 

5 hours ago, RadioPoultry said:

20200402_130118.jpg.cf175cbf2b2eb49e025273e915c8bd86.jpg

If all else fails, there's always National K.C. Munchkin Day.

There IS one, right? 

Whoa!  A TV/VCR combo!!  I haven't seen one of those in a looong time.  I had to repair the VCR in one of those once for my cousin.  The all black version of the one in that picture.  Pain in the butt to get to but I fixed it for them.  I guess one of their kids decided the VCR was hungry and fed it a bunch of toy plastic silverware...like those from a tea set or something.  It didn't damage anything but took forever to get those all out.  I found a single pack of salt, too.  That one would not have been good.  Nice to see one of these still functioning.

6 hours ago, RickR said:

@RadioPoultry, it looks like you could record your gameplay on VHS.  I think that makes you the automatic winner. 

I grew up with my Atari 7800 hooked up to one of these! It was a Samsung TV/VCR combo, and yes I recorded gameplay occasionally. I also had my TurboGrafx-16 and Genesis hooked up to it. Somewhere I still have those tapes, I'll have to find them.

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

I love this version!  Everything starts flying around at high speed on that pretzel level. 

I love this version too! Some people really don't like it, but for me growing up I always thought it was as close to the arcade version as I had played. Glad you enjoyed it! I'm trying to rotate through all of the Pac-Man games every year for National Pac-Man Day without repeating too often. I'm glad you guys are enjoying this!

:pac_man::blinky::inky::pinky::sue:

6 hours ago, RickR said:

People don't like it????  Why?

This version perfectly displays the power of the 7800.  No flicker and really fast movement.  No other Atari system before the 7800 could do it like this. 

I AGREE! And it was programmed by the same guys who designed the 7800, so they knew what they were doing. I've seen 7800 Ms. Pac-Man roundly criticized in some circles for having sluggish controls, that the NES version is so much better, blah blah blah. I always thought of the 7800 as being "the Neo-Geo" of its time with its ability to bring some of these classic arcade games home in such nice detail.

15 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Whoa!  A TV/VCR combo!!  I haven't seen one of those in a looong time.  I had to repair the VCR in one of those once for my cousin.  The all black version of the one in that picture.  Pain in the butt to get to but I fixed it for them.  I guess one of their kids decided the VCR was hungry and fed it a bunch of toy plastic silverware...like those from a tea set or something.  It didn't damage anything but took forever to get those all out.  I found a single pack of salt, too.  That one would not have been good.  Nice to see one of these still functioning.

My workplace was getting rid of that TV last year (until recently they still did training videos on VHS), so they let me have it before they threw it away. I had a CRT TV already, but no VCR. (Also, this one has composite input.) I picked up a bunch of VHS tapes at thrift stores. (They are so cheap now!) Here are some of them. I still need to watch a few of these... I certainly have the time right now. 

20200403_104122.jpg.0c5fe9394bfb38e0c1cb33a2c21fd808.jpg

8 minutes ago, RadioPoultry said:

My workplace was getting rid of that TV last year (until recently they still did training videos on VHS), so they let me have it before they threw it away. I had a CRT TV already, but no VCR. (Also, this one has composite input.) I picked up a bunch of VHS tapes at thrift stores. (They are so cheap now!) Here are some of them. I still need to watch a few of these... I certainly have the time right now. 

20200403_104122.jpg.0c5fe9394bfb38e0c1cb33a2c21fd808.jpg

That's a cool story! Looks like you made out like a bandit. This seems like the inspiration for a great thread in the TV and Movies forum. I'm wondering about those "Adventures of Sherlock Homes" VHS movies, are those intended for kids or is that something more adult?

4 minutes ago, Justin said:

That's a cool story! Looks like you made out like a bandit. This seems like the inspiration for a great thread in the TV and Movies forum. I'm wondering about those "Adventures of Sherlock Homes" VHS movies, are those intended for kids or is that something more adult?

They are from the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce series from the 30s and 40s (targeted for adults). I actually had "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" on DVD already, but I totally forgot until I started watching it. For one of the later films in the series,  "The House of Fear" was pretty good! There was one other tape in the series I thought I bought not in the photo, but I think it turned out to have "Destination Tokyo" inside the case instead. Also, that reminds me, I picked up "The Great Mouse Detective", too. That one is targeted for kids. I hadn't seen it before, but I enjoyed that one too.